BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Unique & Historic Club

Not sure if this has been widely discussed before but I realised today that Rovers are the only club in England who have won major honours in 3 different centuries. Many have tried and failed but only 1 can claim this piece of history.

Our new manager was of course involved in succeses across 2 of the 3 centuries. He is also the only Rovers player in almost a 100 years to have won 2 major honours for us a player.

What a unique and historic club we support.

But the point was that if you count the League Cup as a major trophy because it is one of the three main ones, then you always have to count the third biggest trophy at any given time as a main one as well.

And in the 1800s, I would say there's a good chance Liverpool, United or Arsenal won one of the three biggest trophies.....but I can't be bothered to find that out tbh.

Well not unless London or Lancashire Trophies were one of the biggest ones at the time.....either way, personally I don't consider the League Cup to be a major honour and "bigger" clubs don't normally include it one their list of achievements.....apart from Liverpool these days of course.

I'm not knocking it, before I said we have a fantastic history.

But we have this fantastic history imo because of the 3 League Titles and 6 FA Cups including being the only team to win it 3 times in a row.

It's still a really big achievement obviously what we did in 2002 but when people say to me that we're a small club with no real history I mention the League Titles and FA Cup wins.....which I'm sure is also the case with teams like Arsenal.

We have a fantastic history but the League Cup isn't a major trophy imo.

Contested by all the leading clubs with the winners gaining automatic entry into European competition - if that's isn't "major" then you're a very silly billy.

Contested by all the leading clubs with the winners gaining automatic entry into European competition - if that's isn't "major" then you're a very silly billy.

Tbh, I've spent almost a year telling my Liverpool mates that they didn't have a "good season" because the Carling Cup isn't a major trophy. For me to say now that it is would be very hypocritical.

Tbh, I've spent almost a year telling my Liverpool mates that they didn't have a "good season" because the Carling Cup isn't a major trophy. For me to say now that it is would be very hypocritical.

To be honest, Liverpool have had a good season if they win the Carling Cup these days, but it's not a good season by their inflated standards if that's combined with a poor league position. Realistically, with the resources they have spent you'd have thought they'd have had more success than they have, Champions League aside, this millenium, and that is what weighs heavily on them. Each season without an FA Cup win or League Title feels like a bad season for them as they are so caught up in their past. Looking at their current situation though, a season with League Cup win is a good season for them, but you'd think over a period of years they'd be more consistent in the other silverware stakes rather than just occasional League Cup wins.

Archived