BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 92 Tracker

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw, Biddy & Admin; you do realise what a rod you've made for your own backs, don't you? You'll have to expand this feature.

In addition to comments which others have made about teams we played which have now dropped out of the Football League, what about:

• grounds such as Roker Park,Sunderland; Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough; Layer Road, Colchester [a dreadful League Cup replay defeat]; Sealand Road, Chester and Ninian Park, Cardiff, which were closed as the clubs moved to new stadiums;
  • national stadiums like Wembley [any truth in the rumour that we were there so often from 1987 to the mid-1990s that we got the "Home" dressing room?!] and the Millennium Stadium; and
  • European grounds where we've played including, in my case, a pre-season friendly against Bray Wanderers in Ireland, as well as Trelleborg, Celtic Park and Feyenoord?

Is my face :blush: ?!

Sorry, Biddy; when I've looked at the table again, I see you'd included the old "demolished" grounds. Apologies.

Btw, though, isn't Man Citeh's ground now formally known as The Etihad Stadium? And though it goes against the grain, what about Newcastle playing at the Sports Direct Arena? :wacko:

Have any on here been on Park Avenue, Bradford FC's ground?

I have been on there in the 60's and remember they had a great player in Kevin Hector, who went on to Derby County.

Bradford lost their league status in 1970 ( replaced by Cambridge United) and went into liquidation and sold the Park Avenue ground.

They reformed as Bradford Park Avenue ( in memory of their old home) and now play in the Conference North at a new ground called the Horsfall Stadium.

Forgot I went to Globe Arena a few seasons back to watch us in a friendly against Morecambe, we played Accy Stanley with a different 11 the same day I think. Another to add to the collection.

edit. was it Globe Arena or Christie Park then?

What a great thread this is! I'm not trying to get into the "92 club"; I only make a note of grounds where I've seen a Rovers team play.

There are so many different lists we could make, aren't there? This thread has had me sub-dividing my own list [oo-er, Missus!] to include grounds where I've seen a Rovers team in friendlies. I mentioned Bray Wanderers before, but there's also the Crown Ground, Highbury Road, Fleetwood and, in the run-up to this season, Bower Fold [stalybridge Celtic's ground], where a mainly reserve team [including Jordan Slew; what's happened to him?!] played FC United.

Have any on here been on Park Avenue, Bradford FC's ground?

I have been on there in the 60's and remember they had a great player in Kevin Hector, who went on to Derby County.

Bradford lost their league status in 1970 ( replaced by Cambridge United) and went into liquidation and sold the Park Avenue ground.

They reformed as Bradford Park Avenue ( in memory of their old home) and now play in the Conference North at a new ground called the Horsfall Stadium.

Wasn't Park Avenue one of those grounds that doubled as a Cricket ground ? Just like the old Bramhall Lane in Sheffield and the County Ground at Northampton ? I've seen Rovers at the latter two, and I think I once saw Lancs. beat Yorks. In a one day game at Park Avenue in the mid 70's ?

Ll

Wasn't Park Avenue one of those grounds that doubled as a Cricket ground ?

As Ianrally says, the cricket ground was next door. I played cricket there about 20 years ago - by that time, there was hardly any sign of the football ground, must have been demolished many years earlier.

I've added Peel Park for Accrington Stanley now.

Can't really add all the non-league, friendly and european grounds as it will be a nightmare to maintain and we've played at a fair few.

You can now also click on the peoples names in the Top Ten list to see which grounds they've visited.

At some point I will create a page that shows everyone.

Very very good effort. Just out of interest how many were with rovers?

Have to say been to couple of random grounds with my mate who supports Oldham. He's been places like Stamford bridge, emirates, Leverkusen, Amsterdam (Feyenoord) with rovers and in return I've been to ninian park and roots hall. Hardly a fair swap.

Ps what would you say best and worst you've been to?

Of the current 92 I have seen Rovers at 43 (strict http://www.ninetytwoclub.org.uk/ rules, i.e. no friendlies).

I've also seen Rovers at 6 grounds that no longer exist and 1 club that no longer exists (Wimbledon).

Everyone keeps asking for best and worst grounds, but in the time I've been watching football, grounds have changed so much. Grounds that were previously seen as poor are now seen as nostalgia (I'd choose the opportunity to stand on a terrace over sitting in a 'same stand, different town' stadium anyday. I also have such great memories from the grounds based on experiences/people met/results that I find it hard to look objectively at the grounds themselves.

Assuming Brighton v Rovers is rearranged before 14th May this year I will have completed my 92 within 30 years.

I watched Rovers play at Southport a few years back in our golden era and as the teams came out for the second half I turned to the person on my right to make a comment and bizarrely it was King Kenny our then manager who was about to open the new covered terracing that we were in!

After a few muffled words he disappeared again.

I think we won 6-1!!

I've now tidied up the Top Ten table to make it a bit more readable.

I've also added a link to the "Full League Table" which will show everyones position. The link can be found just under the Top Ten table.

Also, click on the position number now to see the grounds that person has visited.

• 3 years later...

Archived