BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 92 Tracker

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a really nice feature on the website. I have just updated my grounds.....just one to go......

Very very good effort. Just out of interest how many were with rovers?

Have to say been to couple of random grounds with my mate who supports Oldham. He's been places like Stamford bridge, emirates, Leverkusen, Amsterdam (Feyenoord) with rovers and in return I've been to ninian park and roots hall. Hardly a fair swap.

Ps what would you say best and worst you've been to?

Just done it 53 current grounds , quite a few more no longer FL grounds !

Kidderminster and Welling cup ties , Stockport .Luton ,Chester ,Wrexham ,Halifax Grimsby,Wimbledon (plough Lane )I will have to think about the others ..Good days ,when everyone pulled the same way !

Rochdale when a Rovers fan pulled the ball out of the back of the net and Roger Jones took the goal kick ..Happy days !!!!

Salzburg,Lyon,Feyenoord and Leverkusen when we were a proper club !

Amazingly , never been on Stanley !

Rochdale when a Rovers fan pulled the ball out of the back of the net and Roger Jones took the goal kick ..Happy days !!!!

Ah, good memories, did all of these Waggy.....the good old days!!

You are obviously older than I had you down for! What about Welling United back in '89 when 'pocket sized' Ronnie Hildersley put the only goal of the game in front of the packed open terrace of Rovers fans ... great days under Don Mackay .... little did we realise what was just around the corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I69D94sZELw

47 current grounds, 13 in their former guises and a shedload of former league grounds a la Mansfield, Wrexham, Bristol Rovers etc, and a fair few other non league grounds like Matlock, Welling, Willington, Gencler in Turkey, Celtic Park, Hampden, Wembley, The Millenium, Letzigrund in Zurich, Norway's National Stadium......................then there's the Rugby League grounds....................

What a wonderful invention; thank you Biddy. It's brought back some great memories of too much time and money spent following what my mates and I used to call "This Great Club Of Ours"!

Before that remember being at the Eastville when a certain Booby Gould scored a hat trick in four one drubbing down there.

I remember that game, JAL. It wasn't just being walloped 4-1; the result was made worse by a new feature which the Bristol Rovers introduced that day.

Earlier in the week [this was 1977/78 season], ITV had broadcast a programme about how the Football League clubs could improve presentation of fixtures, including having an announcer calling out the names and positions of the players before the game, then telling you who'd just scored. Someone at Bristol Rovers had obviously watched the same programme because each of Gould's goals was followed by an announcement on the public address, in a mixture of Bristol and mock-U.S. accent, "Scorer of the 1st [then the 2nd, & if I remember rightly, the 4th] goal for Bristol Rovers: BAH-BEE GOULD!" Talk about adding to our misery! I was watching the game with a friend from London who with his family was visiting friends in the area for the weekend and it's still like an open sore when we reminisce.

Btw, Biddy & Admin; you do realise what a rod you've made for your own backs, don't you? You'll have to expand this feature.

In addition to comments which others have made about teams we played which have now dropped out of the Football League, what about:

• grounds such as Roker Park,Sunderland; Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough; Layer Road, Colchester [a dreadful League Cup replay defeat]; Sealand Road, Chester and Ninian Park, Cardiff, which were closed as the clubs moved to new stadiums;
  • national stadiums like Wembley [any truth in the rumour that we were there so often from 1987 to the mid-1990s that we got the "Home" dressing room?!] and the Millennium Stadium; and
  • European grounds where we've played including, in my case, a pre-season friendly against Bray Wanderers in Ireland, as well as Trelleborg, Celtic Park and Feyenoord?

Btw; for any of the younger members of this Board who think, "Wow; I'll never get as many grounds as some of these guys", just remember you could well be in the same place as many of we were in the 1970s If you've got Premier League grounds from the last few seasons, you could well have quite a few from further down the League "pyramid" in seasons to come.

Just done it 53 current grounds , quite a few more no longer FL grounds !

Kidderminster and Welling cup ties , Stockport .Luton ,Chester ,Wrexham ,Halifax Grimsby,Wimbledon (plough Lane )I will have to think about the others ..Good days ,when everyone pulled the same way !

Amazingly , never been on Stanley !

Wow, yeah I'd forgotten about that, fantastic!

I seem to remember going to see Bradford playing at a different ground in the mid 80s (it would have been after the fire presumably)? It wasn't against Rovers but I seem to remember it being a massive stadium with a running track round it? Or was I more @#/? than I thought?

Wow, yeah I'd forgotten about that, fantastic!

I seem to remember going to see Bradford playing at a different ground in the mid 80s (it would have been after the fire presumably)? It wasn't against Rovers but I seem to remember it being a massive stadium with a running track round it? Or was I more @#/? than I thought?

Was it the Odsal RL stadium, fqm? I've never been on it, myself; but I remember seeing pictures of it - I think it once held just over 100,000 for an RL Challenge Cup Final replay.

Was it the Odsal RL stadium, fqm? I've never been on it, myself; but I remember seeing pictures of it - I think it once held just over 100,000 for an RL Challenge Cup Final replay.

Yes, that's it! Cheers. It turns out I probably was more keaned than I thought, because my mate reckons it actually WAS against the Rovers :blink:

Archived