BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brill Middlesbrough Preview by m1st :)

cn174

Pure speculation on your part, the only fact is that we nearly got relegated last season. If we finish well clear of relegation this season it'll be an improvement across the board, from management to players.

Of course with our financial losses mounting up we really need promotion this season rather than just avoiding relegation, but I don't believe the quality of the team is high enough to achieve that goal.

Dodgy keeper is a major fault but we have been desperately unlucky with injuries to really key players. If we could see the return of the influential players Bearhead, Dunny, Rochina and Evans anytime soon then I think with the right spirit and attitude that we can be a quite formidable force in this division. Maybe not up to an automatic place but possibly a good burst of form would see us into the play off positions.

I think we should wait for evidence of these supposed drinking binges before forming a mob to go down to Ewood and string Henley and the rest of the youngsters up.

There's nothing to suggest Bowyer doesn't discipline strongly when required. He certainly handled Leon Best well enough.

If players want to go out on the pop on a Saturday or Wednesday if we have had a Tues fixture then I have no problems at all. All kids need to blow off steam to an extent. Much better to do that than to cultivate a dodgy habit of secret drinking at home.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just seen that Fulham player Sacha Riether has had retrospective action taken for the stamp on the young United lad. We saw a rather malicious incident at Ewood on Saturday involving Rhodes, would have that incident been reviewed? Or does only the Premier League have a review panel?

Refs are so inferior, who could possibly review them? No one gives a toss outside the PL!

• Backroom

Dodgy keeper is a major fault but we have been desperately unlucky with injuries to really key players. If we could see the return of the influential players Bearhead, Dunny, Rochina and Evans anytime soon then I think with the right spirit and attitude that we can be a quite formidable force in this division. Maybe not up to an automatic place but possibly a good burst of form would see us into the play off positions.

Well, Dunny's injuries aren't unlucky - he spends the majority of every season injured so that's to be expected.

Rochina will, IMO, leave in January. Hopefully we'll get a few games out of him before then.

The other two aren't really enough to pull the whole team up to another level and I doubt we'll spend anything significant in January. We might even sell Rhodes if our financial situation is as dire as we are all led to believe... so yeah, glass half empty this end.

Pure speculation on your part, the only fact is that we nearly got relegated last season. If we finish well clear of relegation this season it'll be an improvement across the board, from management to players.

Of course with our financial losses mounting up we really need promotion this season rather than just avoiding relegation, but I don't believe the quality of the team is high enough to achieve that goal.

"The group of players "without any pride in their performance" last season picked up 20 points in 12 games for Bowyer, 14 in 8 for Kean, and 9 in 6 for Black."

Thats pure speculation is it? I give up.

• Backroom

No, the speculation part was that we'd have "strolled into the playoffs" if Berg/Appleton hadn't been appointed. If you couldn't work out that I was referring to that part of your post rather than the factual section I would indeed suggest giving up.

No, the speculation part was that we'd have "strolled into the playoffs" if Berg/Appleton hadn't been appointed. If you couldn't work out that I was referring to that part of your post rather than the factual section I would indeed suggest giving up.

Pure speculation means a guess.

43 points from 26 games is 1.65ppg, which over a season is 76 points, which would have made the play-offs with 8 points to spare.

So its a logical prediction based on the 57% of the season when we didn't have Berg and Appleton.

Maybe you can suggest an alternative for why we picked up 43 points in 26 games under 3 managers and 15 points in 20 games under the other 2. Oh yeah you already have, its the players fault, that makes sense.

Well, Dunny's injuries aren't unlucky - he spends the majority of every season injured so that's to be expected.

Rochina will, IMO, leave in January. Hopefully we'll get a few games out of him before then.

The other two aren't really enough to pull the whole team up to another level and I doubt we'll spend anything significant in January. We might even sell Rhodes if our financial situation is as dire as we are all led to believe... so yeah, glass half empty this end.

In that context, people might be interested in the following from the bloke who provided the "Opponents' Opinion" for this Preview. I received his e-mail last night just as I was logging off my laptop for the night.

I guess you won’t have enjoyed today’s defeat any more than I did our latest home draw against Watford. But that isn’t the reason for this e mail. Teesside ( or at least its football community ) is buzzing with the news ( or at least rumour ) that Lucas Jutkiewitz is about to leave the Boro within the next few days and join Blackburn Rovers on a short term loan with a view to a permanent transfer in January. Our acting manager refused to confirm or deny the rumours but added fuel to the fires when we were losing 2-1 with minutes to go and he left Jutkiewitz on the subs bench and brought on a full back !!! Not sure whether that has any implications for Jordan Rhodes future as a Rovers player but thought you’d be interested to hear it.

In that context, people might be interested in the following from the bloke who provided the "Opponents' Opinion" for this Preview. I received his e-mail last night just as I was logging off my laptop for the night.

I guess you won’t have enjoyed today’s defeat any more than I did our latest home draw against Watford. But that isn’t the reason for this e mail. Teesside ( or at least its football community ) is buzzing with the news ( or at least rumour ) that Lucas Jutkiewitz is about to leave the Boro within the next few days and join Blackburn Rovers on a short term loan with a view to a permanent transfer in January. Our acting manager refused to confirm or deny the rumours but added fuel to the fires when we were losing 2-1 with minutes to go and he left Jutkiewitz on the subs bench and brought on a full back !!! Not sure whether that has any implications for Jordan Rhodes future as a Rovers player but thought you’d be interested to hear it.

What is your mates view of Lucas Jutkiewitz ? TBH - he wouldn't necessarily be a replacement for Rhodes - as Bowyer has been after a true target man since Best fell out of favour.

What is your mates view of Lucas Jutkiewitz ? TBH - he wouldn't necessarily be a replacement for Rhodes - as Bowyer has been after a true target man since Best fell out of favour.

And here's the answer to your question, DMTP:

How to sum up our Lucas: well to start with 6ft 1inches and 11 and a half stone and works like a trojan from start to end – that’s the good bit. I’ve never seen a target man have so many free kicks awarded against him – every game I’ve seen he ends up on the floor with the ref saying he has fouled again.
What else do you look for in a target man? 1) when he wins the ball ( not very often ) he’s not too good holding on to it. 2) not too strong when it comes to passing to men on his own side. 3) when he has a scoring opportunity with either head of feet tends to miss the target. In other words, I don’t imagine the boro faithful would be up in arms to see him leave.
Good luck !!!!

Archived