BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Shearer & Speed Flex exercise machines

I do think short sessions of high intensity training are the best way to get in good shape(and fast), you see people spend hours on treadmills, cycle machines, etc.. without it making much difference, although obviously any exercise is better than non(even if its just walking the dog, walking to the shop or something)

I bet everybody who was mentioned in that article got a good few quid for saying nice things about it and its a bit of a random thing for the daily maily to have an article about so I bet they got paid a nice sum for the advertisement! (don't blame any of them though, at least it looks a reasonably useful product, compared to some of the dodgy things you see celebrities endorse just for the easy money)

Thank you for all responses.

In the end, I believe you get out what you put in and saying you could burn 1000 calories in 45 minutes would be very subjective. If I could run 6 Miles or more an Hour for 45 minutes, I'm sure I could burn up a boatload of calories (and that, I can't really do unless something were to really inspire me, a kickaround or something). That said, the machine might be okay and yes, they may be trying to market it. It does look interesting.

• Backroom

Michael Mosley recently had a series of articles in the times about HIT. Something like doing a series of short sets of various exercises in about 8mins is more beneficial than a 40min jog.

Though they often neglect to mention the obvious. The only way to LOSE weight is to burn more calories than you put in. Which I imagine is quite hard to achieve if you're used to 'staying the same' with a little paunch, as I am.

Maj?

Michael Mosley recently had a series of articles in the times about HIT. Something like doing a series of short sets of various exercises in about 8mins is more beneficial than a 40min jog.

Though they often neglect to mention the obvious. The only way to LOSE weight is to burn more calories than you put in. Which I imagine is quite hard to achieve if you're used to 'staying the same' with a little paunch, as I am.

Maj?

I think its more about strengthening what you have(mainly your core muscles) than it is about loosing weight, the best way to loose weight is always to just eat healthier and keep your calorie intake to the minimum your body needs to support your daily lifestyle, generally speaking under 2000 calories.

The 1,000 calories in 45 mins is subject to a number of different measures too, if you are heavier then you will burn more calories doing the same workout as someone slimmer. If you have ever been to a gym and burned say 500 calories, then you quickly realise exercise helps, but in no way replaces a healthy diet.

I would hope Shearer knows a bit more about keeping fit than this article states. Weight loss and general fitness are about exercise and diet. Both will do more good than a bunch of machines in a gym. 1000 calories in 45 minutes? Unlikely in my view

Cycling at 15mph I burn about 50 calories per mile, 750 an hour. The machine is suggesting about 80% more. Exercise, eat well, cut down alcohol and you'll be great.

Exercise, eat well, cut down alcohol and you'll be great.

RIP Jim Fixx, Robert Atkins, Linda McCartney etc. :blink:

Fixx died of a heart attack. His father the same at 43 and Fixx had a congenital heart condition.

Atkins died from a severe head injury

McCartney from breast cancer.

One accident and two treatable if diagnosed early enough.

Exercise, eat well, cut down alcohol and you'll be great.

Everybody may not actually be "great" but you will definitely feel bettter, look better, reduce the odds of many illnesses and maybe life longer and healthier life,

I'm not sure how anybody can disagree with most of that unless they already feel as though they are to long gone in the tooth and out of shape that they are in some kind of denial and feel bitter and resentful towards any talk of healthy eating and exercise.

I think its more about strengthening what you have(mainly your core muscles) than it is about loosing weight, the best way to loose weight is always to just eat healthier and keep your calorie intake to the minimum your body needs to support your daily lifestyle, generally speaking under 2000 calories.

Do that and your weight will stay exactly the same.

If you want to lose weight, eat fewer calories that you need.

If you want that lost weight to be fat, then do the above whilst eating more protein and lifting weights.

Yea sorry obviously your right, that makes more sense,

Ive slowly lost 2 stone in past 12 months by just eating healthier(more fruit, wholewheats and veg and less pizza, chips and the evil white bread!) and I usually try to keep to eating aprox 2000 cals a day but ive nevere really thought that I probably expend a lot more than that through having a physical job and being on my feet all day.

Although I do drink alcohol regularly, but never to excess and more red wine, less lager.

Archived