BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tim Sherwood Leaves Spurs

For the amount of money spent and quality of players they have bought they should be top four. It is, at least on paper, a very good squad. The issue is a total lack of leadership. I feel Levy is partly to blame for this as he keeps on undermining his own mangers.

On their day, this season or past ones, Spurs can beat anyone. Unfortunately they are too inconsistent.

I think Levy is a massive part of the problem. Even the BBC are now wondering; http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27390680

During his tenure they have overpaid on countless underachieving players, whilst also hiring and firing managers far too frequently.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Sherwood is simply a victim of the Spurs 'massive club syndrome' he's simply not a big enough name to fill the position, and that's why he was given the role/exposure for part of last season and now they both move on the best of mates.

Sherwood was the victim of his own naivety. Naive as a manager and naive to willingly display it in public so frequently. If he'd kept his own council (like Bowyer for example) and been less gobby he might have got away with it a little longer. Unfortunately for Tim he wears his heart on his sleeve and motivation inspired in that fashion will only go on for so long and will only cover up lack of tactical nous for so long too.... just ask Stuart Pearce. Sherwood fitted in and did well for a stop gap measure but that was all he was ever going to be imo.

I'd suggest it is, though admittedly, every club has clueless elements amongst their fanbase....

WHU fans are amongst the worst in the country for their levels of delusion! shut up you gobby cockne 'We won the World Cup'-y upstarts you won nothing.

Funny that the best 3 England players at that tournament were probably Bobby Charlton, Nobby Stiles and Alan Ball none played for WHU.

IMO Charlton got us through the early stages, Styles was brilliant in the semi and final and Bally was superb in the final.

Geoff Hurst was a ' bit part' player if you forget his hat-trick :closedeyes:

Sherwood has done well out of the situation, financially he'll be paid for the next 12 months, and more so career-wise. How many premiership clubs would have looked at him 12 months ago? Now he'll be on the radar for quite a few of the those given the success he's had. He was never going to be the long term manager, (look at how he was given no funds in January), and he has steadied the ship before they appoint a big-name replacement in the summer (was supposed to be van Gaal, but he's off to united).

Yeah he did, but if he hadn't have gone when he did he would probably have relegated us. I don't know why things went so badly wrong but they did.

When he was managing Liverpool I remember people at the time saying he was the best thing that every happened to Liverpool for fans of other clubs (a bit like Moyes at Man Utd).

Sherwood won't come here. Super Gary will get another full season - unless we are outside the top 10 at Christmas.

• 11 months later...

As a former club captain and Premier League winner at the Rovers Sherwood had a lot going for him when considering him for the managerial position at the Rovers. At the time it would still have represented another gamble however and it wasnt a good fit for either him or the club.

No point crying over spilt milk. Sherwood is doing exactly as expected with the new manager enthusiastic bounce, especially with a young squad and players like Benteke and 'Insomina' who had all but given up under Lambert. A longer term evaluation may not be as positive when some of these players realise they still do not wish to play for the Villa.

I have to say I like Sherwood. Thought he was much calmer and mature yesterday as the goals went in and enjoyed his post game comments as well. One to watch as players and fans alike can relate to someone who passionately cares. Like to re-iterate what Kamy said elsewhere. Althoguh both us and Bolton proved that Liverpool are no great shakes this time round, Sherwood got his tactics absolutely spot on for this fixture and its not just his motivational skills that were highlighted by this victory..

What's to say, Gordon? I've always wanted Sherwood since he left Spurs. I've always thought that he is just what we need.

After a few defeats, it'll be raked up that he's useless and after a good run he'll be "what might have been".

It's a shame that he hasn't had to serve an apprenticeship in the Championship but he's been given a chance in the PL. I don't know why but he just doesn't seem a good fit for Villa. But that's just an aesthetic view.

What's to say, Gordon? I've always wanted Sherwood since he left Spurs. I've always thought that he is just what we need.

After a few defeats, it'll be raked up that he's useless and after a good run he'll be "what might have been".

It's a shame that he hasn't had to serve an apprenticeship in the Championship but he's been given a chance in the PL. I don't know why but he just doesn't seem a good fit for Villa. But that's just an aesthetic view.

Claret and Blue perhaps?

Archived