BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelsea (Youth Cup Semi Final)

Chelsea full time from 14 or 15, was mentioned in 1st leg.

Does anyone know what is meant by full time? Are Chelsea providing their education as well?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I heard Matterface say in the first leg that the Chelsea youth side were full time whereas ours and most others aren't. Not sure how true that is. But I would say that Chelsea looked far more conditioned than our lads. Some of the young lads just don't look or move like footballers. Even when some make their first team bows. But a lot of those Chelsea lads look bigger and more athletic even at this age.

Does anyone know what I mean? I've had this discussion with people before and they don't seem to get it. The example I always give is Steven Gerrard. The way he moved around the pitch was like he was born to be a footballer. When young kids break through they kind of look clumsy and like it's all an effort. Those Chelsea lads just looked more like natural players. I think that comes with exposure, minutes and supreme fitness.

Rovers youths are all full time Patrick.

I'm pretty sure I heard Matterface say in the first leg that the Chelsea youth side were full time whereas ours and most others aren't. Not sure how true that is. But I would say that Chelsea looked far more conditioned than our lads. Some of the young lads just don't look or move like footballers. Even when some make their first team bows. But a lot of those Chelsea lads look bigger and more athletic even at this age.

Does anyone know what I mean? I've had this discussion with people before and they don't seem to get it. The example I always give is Steven Gerrard. The way he moved around the pitch was like he was born to be a footballer. When young kids break through they kind of look clumsy and like it's all an effort. Those Chelsea lads just looked more like natural players. I think that comes with exposure, minutes and supreme fitness.

They were taking the ball on the move, we were taking it stood still. We were much too static by and large, not enough work going on off the ball.

Archived