BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelsea (Youth Cup Semi Final)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Ray Wilkins, he has spoken to Lambert, and Lambert has earmarked some of these kids for the first team.

Nice to hear.

Good luck to the lads tonight, Chelsea looked like they had some real quality in the first leg though.

• Backroom

2-0 cracking goal by Chelsea after w mistake

They look like they can score with every attack they are a class apart going forward

Got to feel sorry for the young lads. There's one main difference between the two sides - money. It's not a level playing field even at this level.

It's eleven v eleven !

Sorry is a word for defeatists !

Yeah good near post header from a good cross. Nobody outstanding for us. The little winger who came on as sub at Ewood and played well hardly got a kick tonight. The two centre halves did ok but we insisted on running with the ball too much and consequently losing possession in dangerous areas.

That Mumtaz Ali impressed me for Chelsea, reminded me a bit of Mehmet Ozil on a good day.

Mansell got our goal. He had a bit of a thankless task up top on his own but battled well and got his goal.

Tammy Abraham looks like being some player for Chelsea. Mount too.

Actually thought their centre forward was poor in front of goal, he should have had 3 or 4 goals over the 2 games.

Gulf in class, but the lads stuck too it. Didn't particularly see anyone standing out for Rovers, the ones Id guess at having the best chance would be Tomlinson, who looks comfortable on the ball, and Hardcastle alongside him. Nyambe did ok in the first leg too.

Chelsea spend £9m a year on their academy, and city spend even more. No wonder they are both in the final.

Actually thought their centre forward was poor in front of goal, he should have had 3 or 4 goals over the 2 games.

His finishing and composure definitely let him down tonight but his movement and speed is unreal.

Good game overall, but as you say it's hard to compete against the likes of City and Chelsea given their expenditure at this level.

I'm pretty sure I heard Matterface say in the first leg that the Chelsea youth side were full time whereas ours and most others aren't. Not sure how true that is. But I would say that Chelsea looked far more conditioned than our lads. Some of the young lads just don't look or move like footballers. Even when some make their first team bows. But a lot of those Chelsea lads look bigger and more athletic even at this age.

Does anyone know what I mean? I've had this discussion with people before and they don't seem to get it. The example I always give is Steven Gerrard. The way he moved around the pitch was like he was born to be a footballer. When young kids break through they kind of look clumsy and like it's all an effort. Those Chelsea lads just looked more like natural players. I think that comes with exposure, minutes and supreme fitness.

According to Ray Wilkins, he has spoken to Lambert, and Lambert has earmarked some of these kids for the first team.

Nice to hear.

Good luck to the lads tonight, Chelsea looked like they had some real quality in the first leg though.

Whose first team though?

Archived