BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Neil Wilkinson & Russell Coughlin

Such sad news about Russell Coughlin.

I remember the late John Pickering signing Russell from Manchester City for a fee of about £40,000 (a decent fee in those days) and he looked to be a player with great potential; sadly, he didn't kick on at Rovers but went on to record some 500 appearances with other lower league sides.

I bumped into Russell a couple of years ago. I was a having a pint in the Withy trees in Bamber Bridge and a coach pulled in. Turned out it was a regular stop on an annual trip from Haydock Races back to the North East. I was talking to a chap about footie who said Russell was on the coach. We had a good chat. Great lad, can't believe he's passed away.

I agree with what everyone's written about these two lads; condolences to their families from me, too.

On a personal note, it's a worrying development how many players younger than me [and I'm not that old, honest!] have passed on. :(

Archived