BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nasty Midfielders

Nasty midfielders are your Dean Marney, Joey Barton, Roy Keane types. People who leave something in on a tackle.

I'd say Wanyama, Marney, Barton, Yacob maybe Leicester's Mendy.

Then you get players who get carded and just can't tackle like Lucas, Adam and Fernando.

One on the list I am torn about though is Viera. I don't think he was nasty, except when he played against Roy Keane. The only way to try and get on top of Keane was to try and dominate him physically(with a little bit of the dark arts thrown in), Viera tried to do it. Big Al Shearer had a go also! 

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

One on the list I am torn about though is Viera. I don't think he was nasty, except when he played against Roy Keane. The only way to try and get on top of Keane was to try and dominate him physically(with a little bit of the dark arts thrown in), Viera tried to do it. Big Al Shearer had a go also! 

what about Trevor Hockey, Johnny Giles, Graeme Souness, Glenn Kelly, Claudio Gentile, Tommy Smith ??  and for good measure the entire 1966 Argentina team??

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ridiculous list :D 

I wouldn't describe; Tugay, Gerrard or Scholes as "nasty" in anyway...

The others did nasty things from time to time. But they weren't Johnny Giles and Billy Bremner :D 

Don't be taken in by all that " Scholes isn't dirty he just doesn't know how to tackle " tripe. He knew exactly what he was doing - a nasty player in a nasty team.

Souness was a class player but had a real nasty side to him. I can't think who it was against but he punched a guy off the  ball and off the camera in a European game and broke his jaw. Got away with it too if I recall it right. What a player though.

I remember reading an ex players nasty @#/?s 11.  I can't think who the defence was but the front five was - 

Terry Paine 

Johnny Giles

Peter Osgood

Roy Vernon

Johnny Morrisey.

Souness when player manager for Rangers studded a guy right in the knackers in front of the ref then stood there saying something like 'what, i never touched him' :) There's a clip of it floating around somewhere.

Great player but a hard bstard, so was Mcmahon but Ince was just dirty, snidey git. Not many stood up to Vinny Jones though, didn't get chance he always nailed them first.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Souness when player manager for Rangers studded a guy right in the knackers in front of the ref then stood there saying something like 'what, i never touched him' :) There's a clip of it floating around somewhere.

Great player but a hard bstard, so was Mcmahon but Ince was just dirty, snidey git. Not many stood up to Vinny Jones though, didn't get chance he always nailed them first.

I remember Jones trying to bully Nicky Reid and Reid just laughed at him. Jones tried to be nasty but was just a bully.

Archived