BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should you buy relegated players?

Good question JB, despite the brickbats you're getting.

For every Roy Keane or Peter Shilton there's an Ashley Ward or a Nathan Blake so it's fair to ask. I'd prefer us to look at young hungry players or experienced heads who have tasted success who still have a bit about them rather than look at those recently relegated. Mentality is a huge thing in the make up of any sportsman and, especially at a club like ours with a 6 year losing mentality, we need to look at that as much as any talent a player may have.

4 hours ago, LDRover said:

Good question JB, despite the brickbats you're getting.

For every Roy Keane or Peter Shilton there's an Ashley Ward or a Nathan Blake so it's fair to ask. I'd prefer us to look at young hungry players or experienced heads who have tasted success who still have a bit about them rather than look at those recently relegated. Mentality is a huge thing in the make up of any sportsman and, especially at a club like ours with a 6 year losing mentality, we need to look at that as much as any talent a player may have.

You've suggested it's a good question and then gone on to explain exactly why it's such a futile question...

The original poster suggested that relegated players can't be counted on as they are mentally weak.

Roy Keane. 

Look at Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Dwight Yorke etc. These boys have won European Cups, but I certainly wouldn't be relying on them when the chips are down.

What would the response have been had the thread have been called "should you sign players who have won European Cups?"

It was, and remains, a stupid question.

3 hours ago, Batman. said:

You've suggested it's a good question and then gone on to explain exactly why it's such a futile question...

The original poster suggested that relegated players can't be counted on as they are mentally weak.

Roy Keane. 

Look at Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Dwight Yorke etc. These boys have won European Cups, but I certainly wouldn't be relying on them when the chips are down.

What would the response have been had the thread have been called "should you sign players who have won European Cups?"

You stand alone in thinking that apparently.

8 minutes ago, JayPeeBee40 said:

You stand alone in thinking that apparently.

Sounds more like I stand with Sir Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough and countless other successful managers who consider your theory in it's black and white presentation to be absolute nonsense. 

11 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Sounds more like I stand with Sir Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough and countless other successful managers who consider your theory in it's black and white presentation to be absolute nonsense. 

OK your entitled to your opinion.. Batman :rolleyes:

On 30 June 2017 at 02:11, JayPeeBee40 said:

Just tend to think of relegated players as mentally scarred/damaged goods. If they are in that situation again(a relegation battle), I'm not 100% they can be counted on to have the bottle to survive under pressure.

You're making the mistake of thinking most players actually care about things like relegation. They care about where the next pay packet is coming from . That's it.

20 hours ago, Batman. said:

Roy Keane. 

I get what you're saying and should've explained myself better. The Nathan Blakes and Ashley Wards of this world were perennially relegated and obviously lacked the mental fortitude of a Keane or a Shilton. 

Understood, but then they were also perennially promoted! Think with those two it was more ability than mentality.

Sometimes good players who are mentally strong get caught up in crap teams and go down, sometimes the opposite. 

Archived