BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

William M Hargreaves - 1952 Bridge Collapse Disaster (Bury v Rovers)

"The Talbot Archieve" may be a source of photographs, information and contact about the disaster. They have an excellent Facebook page.

Facebook has a few other Blackburn in the past sites where I have seen people successfully seek information on long gone relatives.

"Blackburn Now and Then" and "Blackburn and District in the past" come to mind.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

12 hours ago, Stuart said:

Sad but interesting read that mate. I will be seeing my mum on Sunday as I am over for Wigan and will show her this. She was born in 1941 and started going on Ewood  with my Grandad when she was a small girl around 5 or 6 so will remember this. You should try and find his grave. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by CP Company Lad

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

"The Talbot Archieve" may be a source of photographs, information and contact about the disaster. They have an excellent Facebook page.

Facebook has a few other Blackburn in the past sites where I have seen people successfully seek information on long gone relatives.

"Blackburn Now and Then" and "Blackburn and District in the past" come to mind.

26 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

Sad but interesting read that mate. I will be seeing my mum on Sunday as I am over for Wigan and will show her this. She was born in 1941 and started going on Ewood  with my Grandad when she was a small girl around 5 or 6 so will remember this. You should try and find his grave. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot gents.

A very interesting thread, Stuart. My Dad was a keen supporter then but didn’t go to that particular game.

However he often referred to it especially when we were crossing the bridge at Preston station! I’m sure that’s why I’m always uneasy crossing such bridges.

I was interested to read that a collection was organised for the next home game for the injured. I would hope your grandmother would have benefited from this collection also. According to Jackman there were 25,000 on against Luton so one would have thought s reasonable sum would have been raised.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:50, Stuart said:
Some Rovers fans, including a young Jack Walker, scrambled down on to the tracks to help pull the injured people free. Jack recalled the event in an interview in 1992. “I was on the bridge with my brother Fred, but we didn’t go down. We were at the other end. There were thousands of people trying to get on the bridge, then suddenly it started vibrating, rumbling and shaking and then the middle just dropped out. It was frightening. We went down on to the railway line and Fred and me helped get helped get people off the tracks – including the mascot.”

From the OP @meadows

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, June said:

Hi I think , no sorry I know that we are related, my grandad was William m Hargreaves , I was born in 1954 so I never knew him and only found out how he died at my mothers funeral 

Hi June. I’m fascinated by it. It isn’t something anyone really talks about. Do you know where he is buried?

Hi Stuart, I’m into family history so thought I’d have a quick look on a website I’m subscribed to.

I’ve found a burial record for a William Hargreaves aged 66 in 1952.

It is for Pleasington Priory, St Mary and St John the Baptist, grave F.A12 and has Roman Catholic as this gentleman’s denomination.

I’m not local so don’t know if this is the right place, but I thought I’d share it in case

Hope this helps

• Like 1

On 30/09/2020 at 11:07, wilsdenrover said:

Hi Stuart, I’m into family history so thought I’d have a quick look on a website I’m subscribed to.

I’ve found a burial record for a William Hargreaves aged 66 in 1952.

It is for Pleasington Priory, St Mary and St John the Baptist, grave F.A12 and has Roman Catholic as this gentleman’s denomination.

I’m not local so don’t know if this is the right place, but I thought I’d share it in case

Hope this helps

Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated.

• 3 years later...