BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Roy Vernon

DannyKeg

I noticed there was a player for Newcastle last night called Vurnon ? We used to have a player in the 50's early 60's Roy Vernon, A half back if I remember? Welsh international perhaps? I think we sold him to Everton, where most of our best players went in those days! I wonder what happened to him ?

I noticed there was a player for Newcastle last night called Vurnon ? We used to have a player in the 50's early 60's Roy Vernon, A half back if I remember? Welsh international perhaps? I think we sold him to Everton, where most of our best players went in those days! I wonder what happened to him ?

Died in the early 90's. After Everton he went to Stoke , also played in the US, South Africa and Halifax before finishing his playing career at Gt Harwood and another short spell in South Africa?

Might be getting him mixed up with another ex Rovers player but think he had a Pie shop at the bottom of Griffin St ( Griffin pub end) early - mid seventies, used to go there a lot as a kid they did apple pie and custard as a special on Friday tea times and Saturday dinner

Edited by perthblue02

I remember Roy Vernon playing for Everton, he'd left Rovers when I first got interested. He was a striker and he captained Everton for a few seasons. He was one of the best penalty takers I ever saw. Every one driven with the laces straight into either bottom corner. Practically un stoppable. I never saw him miss one anyway.

I never thought he was a particularly rough player but a former England star whose name I've forgotten had him in his " All Time 11 Dirtiest Players. " list. Terry Paine, Johnny Giles, Peter Osgood and Johnny Morrisey were the other forwards.

He died quite young but by all accounts he was a very heavy smoker.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I remember Vernon playing for Rovers, alongside Duggie and Clayton. He was a great inside forward, a number 10 when Duggie was on the wing. Great skill and a terrific shot on him despite him being as thin as a wafer. Quick too.

Gutted when he went to Everton but it was to be a worn path where Rovers were concerned.

And yes, he was a chain smoker. I know because there was a Bolton-Preston FA Cup replay at Ewood one season, 6th round? I sat next to him in the old A Stand in Nuttall St and I'll swear he never had a fag out of his mouth the whole game!

Edited by 47er

I remember Roy Vernon playing for Everton, he'd left Rovers when I first got interested. He was a striker and he captained Everton for a few seasons. He was one of the best penalty takers I ever saw. Every one driven with the laces straight into either bottom corner. Practically un stoppable. I never saw him miss one anyway.

I never thought he was a particularly rough player but a former England star whose name I've forgotten had him in his " All Time 11 Dirtiest Players. " list. Terry Paine, Johnny Giles, Peter Osgood and Johnny Morrisey were the other forwards.

He died quite young but by all accounts he was a very heavy smoker.

I too, remember Vernon when at Everton and Stoke and also saw him playing for Great Harwood at the end of his career along with Ronnie and Dougie. He was, as you say, a superb talent and led Everton to the First Division title. Playing at a time when forwards were kicked up in the air on a regular basis, Roy could more than look after himself.

• Like 1

Roy Vernon was a regular in the Infirmary Pub used to be sat in the vault every Saturday after the rovers.Remenber going in after one match and Roy was not there asked the landlord if he had seen him and he showed me his obitury in the telegraph.