BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Irish Rovers

The greatest Irish player I’ve seen at Rovers is undoubtedly Duff. Even as a Northern Irish fan I was immensely proud that a countryman of his calibre was on our books. I told all my big club supporting mates about him, then at the World Cup he was truly world class. Probably the most technically gifted Rovers player I’ve seen, he was quick, a good finisher, and held on to the ball like it was glued to his feet.

Honourable mention for Keith Gillespie - I thought he’d be one of the players to push us on but I can’t recall if he played much? I know he had gambling problems which must have affected him. Proper old school winger, think he scored against his old club Utd as well 😁

There has always been an Irish/Northern Irish connection at Rovers, even of late I loved DL and I willed Corry Evans on, even though he was only good in short bursts. Sad now DL has left and tbh there aren’t any promising players for Ireland North or South coming through. 

edit - Steven Reid was class as well. I knew of him as a promising millwall player (same squad as the godlike Cherno Samba) from champ manager back in the day, so I was excited when we picked him up. As others have mentioned, that goal 👏 but sadly another who didn’t feature enough, this time down to injury issues. 

Edited by The Hypnotic

On 23/06/2022 at 13:26, oldjamfan1 said:

Definitely MHSP but I don't remember him playing for the Council team (that doesn't mean he didn't ha ha). I played alongside him in the Park Lane Rangers youth teams (Patty was the third forward in that side). He was a nice lad yeah (and hopefully still is), but could handle himself on the park.

Keith Whitesides side PLR.

On 23/06/2022 at 08:00, Gordon Ottershaw said:

I was a big fan of Kevin Moran (wasn't everybody?) and I thought Frank Stapleton was ok for us too. For me the best Irishman we had must be Damien Duff. No stepovers or pirouettes, just fantastic close control, great balance and an ability to accelerate past and away from opponents. He could finish too. Fantastic player. 

I once got a lift home from a sportsman’s dinner from Frank Worthington. The conversation was almost all about football. When I told Frank I am a Rovers fan, he said keep your eye on young Damian Duff. He will go to the very top. 

• Like 2