BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just gutted ....

This is a personal thread, so please bear with me ...

I was gutted to hear the news yesterday of the passing of David Hopkinson, my former 6th Form Tutor at QEGS, Blackburn, and a fine " Rovers " man. He was 72 .. Born in the Borough, he studied in Swansea, returned to his home town and served the school as teacher, house master, tutor, head of junior school and then clerk to the governors for 46 years. He was also involved with the Old Blacks AFC, as a fine left back.

Without " Mr H ", I would never have obtained a place at University ...

I know there are quite a few ex-QEGS posters on here so I thought I'd share this news, there is more information and a suitable place to pay tributes here ...

Tribute to David Hopkinson, 1951 - 2023 (muchloved.com)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

I was gutted to hear the news yesterday of the passing of David Hopkinson, my former 6th Form Tutor at QEGS, Blackburn, and a fine " Rovers " man. He was 72 .. Born in the Borough, he studied in Swansea, returned to his home town and served the school as teacher, house master, tutor, head of junior school and then clerk to the governors for 46 years. He was also involved with the Old Blacks AFC, as a fine left back.

I know there are quite a few ex-QEGS posters on here so I thought I'd share this news, there is more information and a suitable place to pay tributes here ...

Oh that’s sad news…Dave was my tutor in the sixth form when we were contemporaries…lovely guy. 

4A371BBA-C8DF-44A5-AA75-E9243CC3CED9.jpeg

• Backroom
On 09/02/2023 at 01:48, sympatheticclaret said:

Hoppy never taught me, but as a deaf pupil I was one of his 'weekly chat' pupils as part of his Deputy Head (Pastoral) duties.

Or so I thought.

At a fairly recent OBA reunion, he told me I was only part of his duties for Yr7, and he continued his chats with me every Thursday lunchtime because he knew I was Rovers mad.

What a smashing bloke.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 6

On 09/02/2023 at 08:16, Herbie6590 said:

Oh that’s sad news…Dave was my tutor in the sixth form when we were contemporaries…lovely guy. 

4A371BBA-C8DF-44A5-AA75-E9243CC3CED9.jpeg

The years have been kind to you, Ian !!

That wouldn't be Scott Foster, sitting just down to your left front row, 3rd in from the right, would it ? Alan Holden ( ? ) front row 2nd left ?  But struggling for the others ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2023 at 09:01, Mike E said:

Hoppy never taught me, but as a deaf pupil I was one of his 'weekly chat' pupils as part of his Deputy Head (Pastoral) duties.

Or so I thought.

At a fairly recent OBA reunion, he told me I was only part of his duties for Yr7, and he continued his chats with me every Thursday lunchtime because he knew I was Rovers mad.

What a smashing bloke.

Mike ... can I add you to the ever expanding list for my note for the family for tomorrow's funeral ? I you you could Email me your name and QEGS years  to

memphis555@hotmail.com