BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oh My Dear Lord! (ewood)

This name change discussion is pretty irrelevant when it all originates from a three line article in a red top rag that is not exactly renowned for the truth (sorry that should be accurate reporting?)

328176[/snapback]

Here's the article in full, in last nights LET, apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere (edit: which it has - John posted in Boardroom Restructure thread).

"Question: Finally, you mentioned naming rights. Does that mean you would consider renaming Ewood Park if someone offered to sponsor the ground?

John: Yes, we would but in that event we would have to be extremely careful and balance the need for funds with the rich history and heritage we've got and obviously want to keep."

Edited by bob fleming

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if it was renamed 'The Free Beer Stadium' we'd fill it evey week...?

We do have a problem, filling the ground, I'd be a bit worried that changing the name might further disassociate the club from all those who just turn-up twice a season to see us play the scum/chelsea (or whoever else is flavour of the season) and others who might come more often if there was a stronger association between the club and the town.

I can't be the only person wondering why Ipswich let a 20 goal striker go on a free?

328176[/snapback]

Not wanting to go off topic, but Kuqis contract ran out, Ipswich offered him an improved one but he didn't want to sign, as he opted for a place in the PL. There wasn't really anything they could do about it.

As such, I think it's wrong to say they let him go on a free, it's not like the situation last year when we let Cole go on a free.

</offtopic>

Call it what you like...I could not give a monkeys if it brings in cash.

The sad position is that I doubt if we will have any takers; even North End can raise more cash with sponsorship than us (their shirt deal for example). It would be nice if we could even let all our boxes!

In brief we are in the s**t.

Edited by preston blue

theno - are those you know who won't renew judging Hughes, the club or the players?  I've renewed, I imagine I always will, but for the first time I didn't want to. I'm dreading next season as I see nothing ahead of us but the same crap we have watched for the last two years. I'm not going to criticise Kugi because I assume Hughes knows a striker when he sees one but I can't be the only person wondering why Ipswich let a 20 goal striker go on a free? This is the only change we appear to have made and it isn't going to set Blackburn on fire.

Expectations are so high now, I'm guilty of that. Why? Simple pay footballer a £1m plus a season and EVERYONE demands a performance, and rightly so. The players' attitude over the last couple of seasons stinks and Rovers fans are showing their disapproval. If it isn't their attitude one must presume collectively the team is not good enough for the PL which makes Hughes' achievement even greater,

328176[/snapback]

I think you've largely answered your own question there Paul. Its a question of the depth of dedication in any one individual. People will always find an excuse to avoid parting woth the folding stuff. Most say they will still go to the important games but we all know that that commitment will quickly die away. It doesn't help not having pay-on-the-door turnstiles as attendance by necessity requires unecessary effort to plan and organise.

Who cares what the Stadium is called aslong as it is still Blackburn Rovers playing there and we are in the Premier League. What would you rather have Ewood Park in the Championship or the ******* Stadium, Ewood, Blackburn in the Premiership. I know what I would have if I had the choice. If we have to change the name to get investment into the club so be it Accrington Stanley didnt mind.Beggars cant be choosers

Yesterday I read a bit about the amount Leicester got for renaming their ground by Walkers , but never got round to posting it .

If I remember correctly the sum - paid over a 10 year period - was a "seven figure" sum , which doesn't amount to a treasure trove .

The princely sum of £600,000 was paid (allegedly) for the naming rights of one of ground's stands over a 5 year term .

All in all , Leicester were hardly in a financial position to refuse any offer made at the time , but Rovers (IMO and with the greatest respect to Theno wink.gif ) should not go down this road unless far greater sums are talked about .

Maybe Coar and co should use their influence - such as it is - at the Prem to bring the game back to the fans rather than further alienate them by sucking up to big business for relatively small fees .....Maybe if they take Scotty along with them as the fans' representative this shouldn't be too much of a tall order .... smile.gif

Maybe if they take Scotty along with them as the fans' representative this shouldn't be too much of a tall order .... smile.gif

328368[/snapback]

If they need someone tall they should take blueboy downunder with them

Back to the Future - A look ahead to a match in the year 2025...

A crowd of just over 4,000 at the Tesco Ewood stadium saw Blackburn 'Burger King' Rovers draw 1-1 against League Two rivals Hartlepool United.

Burger King Rovers took a deserved lead eight minutes in the first half, when a fine header from Barclays Bank Brockhall academy teenager Stuart Robinson went into the bottom corner of the net.

Burger King started off brightly in the opening exchanges. Robinson should have made it 2-0 just before half-time when Paul Brown's free-kick found him completely unmarked in acres of space but he sent his header over the bar.

After the break, Hartlepool showed the resilience that has seen them climb into the top four of League Two. After 71 minutes, Jamie Wilson's cross fell to the feet of 'Pool striker Andy Kelly, who made no mistake from six yards out. Hartlepool pushed for a late winner, but couldn't find the breakthrough in the final third.

Burger King Rovers, wearing their new bright orange kit with purple dots after a sponsorship deal with a local fancy dress shop in Blackburn, held firm for a point.

A late Rovers penalty claim in front of the Pampers Baby Dry Nappies Stand (formerly known as the Blackburn End) was waved away by referee Matthew Cunningham.

There were a few disgruntled boos towards the referee at the end of the match from the Shell Oil Stand, but Burger King Rovers will be happy with a point that keeps them in the top half of League Two.

Speaking to Radio Lancashire after the match, an elderly pensioner named Gordon said that the point was well deserved, but they should have had all three points if the referee had given the penalty.

"It was a good workmanlike performance from us. I'm just sick of all the moaning gits who want to live in the past and still harp on about the tradition of old Rovers being lost," said Gordon.

"We had to move with the times in the 21st century. The changes were necessary, but didn't go far enough. We should have sold the Tesco Ewood stadium and merged with Preston, Wigan and Burnley to form a mighty Lancashire United," said Gordon.

"We'd still be in the Premiership and would be fighting for trophies if the board had been bolder and gone one step further," he added.

"We had to move with the times in the 21st century. The changes were necessary, but didn't go far enough. We should have sold the Tesco Ewood stadium and merged with Preston, Wigan and Burnley to form a mighty Lancashire United," said Gordon. 

"We'd still be in the Premiership and would be fighting for trophies if the board had been bolder and gone one step further," he added.

328574[/snapback]

If only they'd listened to the old git all those years ago eh aesf? rover.gif btw Am I alone in thinking that they only interviewed him cos he was the only one there?

A crowd of just over 4,000 at the Tesco Ewood stadium saw Blackburn 'Burger King' Rovers draw 1-1 against League Two rivals Hartlepool United.

Burger King Rovers took a deserved lead eight minutes in the first half, when a fine header from Barclays Bank Brockhall academy teenager Stuart Robinson went into the bottom corner of the net.

Burger King started off brightly in the opening exchanges. Robinson should have made it 2-0 just before half-time when Paul Brown's free-kick found him completely unmarked in acres of space but he sent his header over the bar.

After the break, Hartlepool showed the resilience that has seen them climb into the top four of League Two. After 71 minutes, Jamie Wilson's cross fell to the feet of 'Pool striker Andy Kelly, who made no mistake from six yards out. Hartlepool pushed for a late winner, but couldn't find the breakthrough in the final third.

Burger King Rovers, wearing their new bright

Burger King Rovers, wearing their new bright orange kit with purple dots after a sponsorship deal with a local fancy dress shop in Blackburn, held firm for a point.

A late Rovers penalty claim in front of the Pampers Baby Dry Nappies Stand (formerly known as the Blackburn End) was waved away by referee Matthew Cunningham.

There were a few disgruntled boos towards the referee at the end of the match from the Shell Oil Stand, but Burger King Rovers will be happy with a point that keeps them in the top half of League Two.

Speaking to Radio Lancashire after the match, an elderly pensioner named Gordon said that the point was well deserved, but they should have had all three points if the referee had given the penalty.

"It was a good workmanlike performance from us. I'm just sick of all the moaning gits who want to live in the past and still harp on about the tradition of old Rovers being lost," said Gordon.

328574[/snapback]

That's great AESF, but was there any news on how the McCarthy negotiations were going?

(It's all in the timing blue phil) sad.gif

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.