SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oh My Dear Lord! (ewood)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Mirror:

You can't dignify that with words like journalism and newspaper article. It's nothing but inaccurate speculation and out of context quotes. Just read the first line............it's pure rubbish

327915[/snapback]

Nonsense.

Who would argue that the club is not desperate for funds ?

And the intro is backed up with a quote from the overpaid overlord.

The only rubbish is your post.

I can see why the potential ISA want to ensure that they are not though of as being BRFCS. This topics has fast descended from a sensible dicussion to near insults of people for expressing their views, all within a page.

Anyway, on topic.

We all would like Ewood to remain known in all media etc as Ewood but I am sure the majority here would put the future of the club before something like a name.

If we could get good amount (and not a pittance) for renaming the ground to re-invest into the club I would be for it (as long as the sponsor was a reputable and decent one).

As much as we may not like it, money talks in football. A name such as Ewood park doesnt, except among the clubs own fans who wouldnt use the new name anyway. It will be allways Ewood Park to rovers fans.

Edited by streakyb

It will always be known as Ewood.

In Blackburn, the biggest nightclub in town is still known as 'The Cav' even though it must be 20 years since the name changed to Peppermint Place or Utopia or whatever.

Even the kids who go there now and have no memory of the Cavendish still use the original name.

Is the club desperate for funds?

Is any club desperate for funds? With a few exceptions, most would take any money offered.

The only thing that's desperate for anything (with the exception of the truth) is a newspaper.

I like the name "Durex Stadium", they could have the slogan of "Come Again" wink.gif

A club that sells an England Under-21 striker because it needs the cash and replaces him with an ageing Sheffield Wednesday reject is desperate.

Just like copying machine menders. Now I wonder if they receive performance related pay ..... ?

Guest Vinjay

Jack would have been disgusted if this was to happen. If he was still here the club wouldn't even be considering this.

Where would the club be if Jack was here now?

With all due respect to Mr Walker, to his family, his friends, to the Rovers and their supporters, the last time Jack was around, we got relegated.

Remember it, tears and the rest. It still brings a tear to my eye even now.

Vinjay, no amount of money can guarantee success. We have seen it time and time again in football. If Jack wanted to make money, he would have put it into doing what he knew best. He would not have put it into a football team. The fact that he did showed his passion, but he knew that he couldn't keep throwing money at the Rovers. The Club had to stand on it's own two feet. OK, the club at present is like a toddler learning to walk, we get over the problems of the past couple of years and things might (just might) get better. No guarantees, but we are in better shape than most.

God, I don't know why I'm doing this, it's been said to you a dozen times already.

Take my advice, go and do a Business degree or course at Tech and then come back and discuss it.

What we need is an internet timber supplying company to sponsor the club for £millions....can you imagine it?

E.Wood dry.gif

would be ideal ,eh? wink.gif

Guest Vinjay
With all due respect to Mr Walker, to his family, his friends, to the Rovers and their supporters, the last time Jack was around, we got relegated.

Remember it, tears and the rest. It still brings a tear to my eye even now.

Vinjay, no amount of money can guarantee success. We have seen it time and time again in football. If Jack wanted to make money, he would have put it into doing what he knew best. He would not have put it into a football team. The fact that he did showed his passion, but he knew that he couldn't keep throwing money at the Rovers. The Club had to stand on it's own two feet. OK, the club at present is like a toddler learning to walk, we get over the problems of the past couple of years and things might (just might) get better. No guarantees, but we are in better shape than most.

God, I don't know why I'm doing this, it's been said to you a dozen times already.

Take my advice, go and do a Business degree or course at Tech and then come back and discuss it.

327993[/snapback]

If he knew this then why did he try and appoint someone like Sven then? It was supposed to be long term wasn't it? If in the long term something happened to Jack and funding got slashed do you think Sven would have stayed around?

You would also end up walking with a limp. ;-)

And the Soul of the club in my eyes is not the ground. It is the fans

327994[/snapback]

This messagebaord seems to be going downhill, FAST.

Its amazing how many people are so eager to sell the name of the ground for a few quid, so that they have more money to spend on the new championship manager.

The foreigners always seem so keen to get some money in, no matter what it involves!

If he knew this then why did he try and appoint someone like Sven then? It was supposed to be long term wasn't it? If in the long term something happened to Jack and funding got slashed do you think Sven would have stayed around?

327996[/snapback]

Maybe because he was trying to do what he thought was best for Rovers at that particular time? Had Sven come we might have become more sucessful and become self sufficient which is what he wanted. Sven might have stayed around when the money dried up, we dont know. And its all irrelivant because Sven never came to Rovers.

Absolutely, purely hypothetical argument there, Vinjay.

SGE didn't come.

"Long Term" in football! Now short term in the investment market is 12 months to 2 years. Medium term is 3-5 maybe 6 years, long term from there on.

Maybe we should have gone for Dario Gradi at Crewe.

No "if's", no "but's" no "maybe's", we are talking the present time, Jack is no longer with us and his Trustees have a fudiciary duty to mantain the level of the trust fund to the best of their abilities. Anything less and the beneficiaries of that trust have an arguement with the Trustees.

To put it succinctly, Jack would not have continued to throw money at the Rovers. He would have pulled the plug at sometime or other (My guess is at the time he did). He wasn't daft, I'll bet that the first love of his life was his family, and he would have done most for them. The Rovers would have been a distant second at best.

To demand, as you seem to be doing, that the Trustees throw money at the Rovers to ensure that the team meets your needs is disrespectful to the Trust and to the Walker family.

I'll be polite to you this time, Vinjay, and request that you desist you incessant tirade.

.......there are times when the Premier League really seems to be following the "Big 4" sports in the US (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB) right down the toilet.

Click

sad.gif  mad.gif  unsure.gif

327896[/snapback]

Yeah, next thing you know Premier League teams will be selling sponsorship on the front of their jerseys.... Imagine that, Rovers desecrating the famous halves....

The US needs to go back to the days of non-corporate naming, such as Fenway Park - oh, wait, that was named in a sponsorship deal with the Fenway Realty Company.

What we need is an internet timber supplying company to sponsor the club for £millions....can you imagine it?

E.Wood  dry.gif

would be ideal ,eh?  wink.gif

327995[/snapback]

Or Jewsons, the timber suppliers.

Then it would be Deadwood Park, which would at least please Burnley supporters.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.