BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Shearer's Testimonial

Thank God for that, he's retired, I couldn't take another week of this constant media cr@p about a bloody injury to a guy who's had a fantastic career and is one of the countries richest footballers as a result.

What about the players who don't have a pot to ###### in after finishing early through injury.

Pity he never won anything during his career........ blink.gif

401193[/snapback]

I think Gav didn't get tickets to his testimonial!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Na, i think what he has done in his career is an absolute credit to himself. He went to his hometown club, but both the staff and his fellow team-mates let him down and thats the reason why he didn't win any further trophies but he wasn't too far away from achieving that.

He has done himself proud, awarded OBE, leading goalscorer for Newcastle, worty ratio of goals scored for both club and country and of course his league medal with Rovers. Fair enough he could have left Rovers for a bigger club but went to a smaller one who under-achieves blink.gif At the end of the day he's giving all his proceeds from his testimonial to Charity. A tremendous gesture and i know he doesn't need the money but not every wealthy person would consider giving £1million+ away

All in all, he gave me his training top on the day he scored his 300th career league goal at Ewood. An item of memorabilia that i will treasure for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the goals and memories Al.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His best years were at ewood no one can deny that, won a premier league winners medal, voted best player in europe or whatever he got and he knocked in bout 102 in 124 i think it was.

He has scored a lot at newcastle but to no avail, no doubt the testimonial should have been rovers 94/95 v Newcastle now, his 2 fave teams.

Celtic is the worst decision i have ever heard. One of the best players ever to play in the premier league celebrated by a scottish team huh.gif

Rovers i think would fill upquite a lot of St James Park if we were to go, all the people that loved him at bburn would have gone.

The best player top ever play in Blackburn Rovers colours i just wish i had been old enough to fully appreciate him and the winning team in 94/95, all i can remember is him scoring a penalty agaiunst wimbledon and walking around the pitch on the day where they showed it off at ewood and when my cousin sed he had left to go to newcastle. sad.gif

No doubt he was one of the best players ever to play in the premier ship and a credit to the game.

Well done Alan

• 4 months later...

I've nearly finished completing the 'greatest ever' section of this website. For the first striker Shearer wins by an absolute mile, however having looked back on the whole thread there isn't actually a piece about him other than a few lines.

So if anyone would like to knock up a testamonial for him, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

SHEARER, SHEARER, SHEARER.

His record says it all.

Overall Appearances 171. Overall Goals 130

League Appearances 138. League Goals 112

As Jack Walker began to pour millions into the football club and Rovers had been promoted to the Premier League, Kenny Dalglish went in search of a strike partner for Mike Newell.

What he found was Alan Shearer a 22 year old striker with one England cap to his name. And the rest they say is history.

Shearer instantly became a fans favourite not only at local level but at a national level. 16 goals in 21 games saw Rovers finish fourth in the Premiership in the 1992/93 campaign. If Shearer hadn't damaged his cruciate knee ligaments in December 92 who knows what could have happened.

Rovers fans were anxious to see if Shearer would recover from such a major injury in the 1993/94 season. Alan once again shone 31 goals in 40 games including a memorable double against Manchester United at Ewood.

Then came Shearer's career defining moment the Championship winning season. Shearer was phenomenal, scoring 34 goals, including memorable strikes against Queen's Park Rangers and Newcastle to clinch Rovers' first title in 81 years.

Shearer also picked up the PFA Player of the Year award in 1995 (Still the only Rovers player ever to do so)

The Season after Shearer managed a mere 31 goals in 35 games! However this was to be Big Al's last campaign as a Rover as the lure of playing for his boyhood idol (Kevin Keegan) and for his home town(Newcastle) became too great and he was subsequently sold for a then record £15 million.

Shearer was the best player I have ever seen play at Ewood, and that includes players for other clubs.

Shearer was a born finisher and leader on the pitch. Yet his game was not all about scoring goals, he chipped in with assists and was used regularly in defensive set pieces.

Shearer easily makes it into the Greatest ever team, he would probably captain the side aswell!

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.