BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Shearer's Testimonial

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how he'll be remembered; the Newcastle legend or the guy who won the Prem with Rovers.

393651[/snapback]

I certainly know how I will remember him, everybody else can remember him how they like, and when they tell me it was as the newcastle legend, i just might remind them that he only won 1 medal tongue.gif and it wasn't in black n white tinykit.gif

Shearer was one of the reasons I started liking football, even though my dad followed Blackburn for some years I never got into it until Rovers signed Shearer (I was young and not exposed to a lot of football in Canada). I bought the jersey and everything and to this day still follow Blackburn. He was a great player for both country and club, I was upset when he left Rovers as he was my favourite player, but since then I've learned the business of football. I hold the upmost respect for him and think he deserves a proper goodbye from Blackburn as well as Newcastle.

tinykit.gif

• 2 weeks later...

thats a waste of 10 years, what should have happened:

26yrs old Shearer leaves blackburn in 1996 for Barcleona winning a European cup and two titles and a domestic cup. in 1999 he moves to Juventus for 18 million winning three league titles and top goal scorer in the champions league two years running. in 2003 at the age of 32 shearer returns home to Newcastle where he plays out the last few years of his career at the club he loves winning nothing but the love of the fans.

And Shearer playing one half for each team! Fantastic. They could sellout twice over! Come to thinkof it what does anyone else think of the idea of Rovers offering him a separate testomonial?

393294[/snapback]

Why the effin hell should we offer him a testimonial? He did fantastic things for us but left us - end of story.

I wonder how many of those who are desperate to give him a good send off were booing him on his numerous returns to Ewood. The fact remains that he has chosen to play against Celtic rather than Rovers, which to me suggests his love for this club is less than what it should be. Maybe Rovers fans have got what they deserved.

Ozzie, good article. Not for the correctness of it but for showing the stupidity of the woman. I agree that Shearer made a ba!!s up when he went home to play. But at the time Newcastle were on the up, with Keegan signing anybody and everybody. But as we all know it went pear shaped for him trophy wise. He should have joined Man U, he would have played less, scored more and may have still had another year in him. Although I'm not a Man U fan, I enjoy watching them play, especially when they were winning everything in the late 90's. Shearer scored bundles with Ripley and Wilcox providing the ammo, I shudder to think what Beckham would have done for him week in week out. If this would have happened though he would not be remembered by us as the legend that he is but as a traitor who left us for the red scum. Going to Newcastle and winning bugger all helped cement his status with our fans, snubbing Man U helps him with the Geordies.

Shearer did have an ability to batter defenders and get free kicks, and I do wonder what the FA was thinking when they let him off for booting that Leicester player in the head, but overall the man was absolutely fantastic and I had the pleasure of watching him in his prime regardless of what the Geordies think.

thats a waste of 10 years, what should have happened:

26yrs old Shearer leaves blackburn in 1996 for Barcleona winning a European cup and two titles and a domestic cup. in 1999 he moves to Juventus for 18 million winning three league titles and top goal scorer in the champions league two years running. in 2003 at the age of 32 shearer returns home to Newcastle where he plays out the last few years of his career at the club he loves winning nothing but the love of the fans.

396668[/snapback]

i bet 'big al' agrees with you. 1 medal for a player of his ability is a shocking return.

he nearly left rovers for lazio in the mid 90's. i was talking to mark fish the other day and he mentioned meeting him and his agent.

the discussion was interupted by gazza. he walked in b***ock naked into the presidents office, shook everyone's hands and strolled casually out! laugh.gif

his departure rankled with rovers fans (including me) for some years after. the timing was awful (shirts, season tickets already sold etc...) and shearer was less than honest, with walker and rovers ("i'll be at rovers next year, in blue and white halves etc...).

lets not forget, we let him get his knee fixed for euro 96.

his reception over the last few season's has been better (maybe cos every1 thought it would be his last appearence). i remember people standing applauding when scored against us the other year ohmy.gif

and his ovation at tony parkes' testamonial healed any rifts.

if any1 is still bitter, just remember-

shearer's best years were spent at rovers and he's never hit those heights since wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sad end, but also in the way the perfect end. He scored in a win over the big rivals. It is just about the greatest thing Newcastle have achieved while he has been there and there really isn't a better team for him to bow out against.

But as we all know it went pear shaped for him trophy wise. He should have joined Man U, he would have played less, scored more and may have still had another year in him. Although I'm not a Man U fan, I enjoy watching them play, especially when they were winning everything in the late 90's. Shearer scored bundles with Ripley and Wilcox providing the ammo, I shudder to think what Beckham would have done for him week in week out. If this would have happened though he would not be remembered by us as the legend that he is but as a traitor who left us for the red scum. Going to Newcastle and winning bugger all helped cement his status with our fans, snubbing Man U helps him with the Geordies.

396702[/snapback]

Let's not put anyone through the torment of seeing a Rovers fan say Shearer should have gone to Man U please.

As has been previously mentioned it will most probably be because of the fact that they will help fill the stadium.

400083[/snapback]

i think the newcaslte fans will be able to fill the ground up by themselves, so that has nothing to do with it

Because Celtic will show it worldwide on TV, which being Mr Shearer he'll have negotiated a rate for.  Also even if the Geordies don't think it worthwhile (although I'm sure they will), Celtic will bring as many down as needed.

384297[/snapback]

Gazsimm, Jan got it just about right here on the first page. It has every bit to do with money and nothing to do with football.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.