BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy Players....

Irish recruits, Darragh Tuffy(Defender)Conor Kavanagh(Striker)from Limerick and Gavin Gunning(defender)from Dublin, are also starting their careers with Rovers.

And Darragh Tuffy came from Sligo (huge place so it is).

Well Unleaded, how about giving us some information on Jamie Duff. Blackburn snapped him up about 2 seasons ago but is he still at the club? The last i seen of him was at a marathon in Dublin last month which he done with Damien and his other older brother.

Barker was horrendous at Cercle (he didn't make an appearance for the first team) and sent home half way through the season and due to a contractual technicality couldn't play for Rovers for the rest of the campaign. He's big and strong but his skill levels weren't good enough for Cercle.

However, Sergio Peter didn't have a great time at Cercle either - so there's still hope for Keith. (Although, Peter's problems were injuries and attitude, not lack of talent). Paul Weaver, Luke Jones and Jerome Watt were all shown up in Belgium and it's no surprise that at the moment Cercle are opting not to bring in any Blackburn youngster.

THe players Cercle could do with tend to be players that Rovers want to keep to back-up the first team squad.

Edited by rover6

Rover6, what's your take on the current relationship between Rovers and Cercle? I remember thinking it was a good idea to align ourselves with a club like that, but it seems that the arrangement isn't really benefitting them at all, i.e. we're not loaning them players that will help their team in the short run. Could this hurt the relationship in any way?

And thanks for the info, unleaded. Keita and Pezzoni have gotten rave reviews from what it sounds like, so going back to the well (i.e. Frankfurt) a second time seems like a good idea. What position does Bowen play?

Rover6, what's your take on the current relationship between Rovers and Cercle? I remember thinking it was a good idea to align ourselves with a club like that, but it seems that the arrangement isn't really benefitting them at all, i.e. we're not loaning them players that will help their team in the short run. Could this hurt the relationship in any way?

As far as I know, it's only an informal relationship.

Cercle do not want to go the way of Beveren and Antwerp by becoming bona fide feeder teams. I'm not surprised either - they want to retain their club, not let it turn into a conveyor belt masquerading as a footy team. Co-operation not domination. They don't want to get relegated either - as has happened to both Beveren and Antwerp despite their links with English monoliths.

I get the feeling that all parties are reasonably satisfied with the informal links. Rovers currently have Dwight Wille on loan and that may become permanent and I'm sure they'll be monitoring Cercle's best players. Meanwhile, Cercle recently came over to England and used Rovers training facilities and had a few friendlies with English clubs. I'm sure they were a bit miffed, after last season's embarrassment of cancelling a friendly against Cercle at very late notice, Rovers couldn't find time in their schedule to play thim this pre-season.

Obviously, the Rovers players that Cercle took on loan weren't good enough and that'll remain a big problem because I'd guess most Rovers fringe players would much prefer a loan move to an English club in the Championship than to Belgium. So the guys they have to pick from are very inexperienced. Further, Rovers increasingly lean squad couldn't cope with too many going out on loan. Last season, many of the U18s were also reserves regulars.

Edited by rover6

Joe Garner get a tip as one of 10 to watch from the Premier website

Click

I would be shocked to see him this year at the senior level

The Blackburn-born striker has been a prolific goalscorer at every level he has played at and has worked his way up the age-level England sides. Will be looking to advance into the first team next season in what are exciting times at Ewood Park

With Roberts/McCarthy(soon i hope)/Kuqi/Jeffers/Derbyshire/Gallagher/Bentley I don't expect to see much of young Garner. Would be nice if he could get a chance in the League Cup though..

Joe Garner get a tip as one of 10 to watch from the Premier website

Click

I would be shocked to see him this year at the senior level

No idea why they've got Garner amongst those players like Sturridge, Anderson and Anichebe. The latter three are currently playing with their respective first teams in pre-season and are set to play a part in the Premiership.

Garner needs to start scoring goals at reserve level before he'll even be considered by Hughes. Sergio Peter should have been the Blackburn representative in that list.

i saw barker in a youth game a year or 2 ago and he didn't strike me as being anything special...seemed very clumsy.

but that was a whilse ago now so...

i hope we can get some good youth players through like...

Luton want derbyshire

think we should loan him out again let him get more experience.

I would like to see Derbyshire being used a bit more often now. Kuqi should be cashed in on if we can get at least £750,000 and go with a front paring of McCarthy & Roberts, with Derbyshire, Jeffers and Gally (maybe used in midfield) in reserve choice.

Anyone any word on Jamie Duff? Is he still at the Academy?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone any word on Jamie Duff? Is he still at the Academy?

He was never properly signed on at the academy. He just played now and again when they came over to watch Damien play for Rovers.

Apparently a dreadful player who was fired out ages ago.

He was never properly signed on at the academy. He just played now and again when they came over to watch Damien play for Rovers.

Thanks lads.

I done a bit of searching on this one and was told exactly the same as what you put. I don't think he's even managed a club in the Irish League. I'll let you know if I find out any further news on him.

Asking about obscure player time but does anyone know if a James Tarkowski (sp?) is still on the books at Rovers. I heard that Rovers spent quite a bit bringing him to Rovers academy from Oldham as a 13/14 year old and the deal was supposed to rise to five figures if he ever made a first team appearance.

• 8 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.