BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "global Warming"

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many wind farms would we need to power the whole country? I think they look OK but maybe if there were thousands of them near every town and city it would be a bit much. Maybe they could stick more out at sea and possibly a different colour than white to help them blend in with their surroundings better.

lots, but the idea isnt ot power the whole company, just some of it - I think they're looking at 20%+ from renewables, more if they sort out the tidal power stuff.

Looks like Nuclear's going to be the main option. It'll be interesting to see how this Fusion reactor they're going to build in France works.

They're doing trial on some kind of tidal turbine, other than that I think they're still trying to come up with a decent wave turbine that doesnt destroy the ecosystem on shore or something. I suppose we could build more hydroelectric plants, as they are in scotland near loch ness, but it usually means that valleys have to be turned into reservoirs, which the locals, for some reason oppose. something to do with being 200 foot under water or something.

Bloody nimbies :)

I think aesthetically they're quite beautiful. I never understood the "ruining of the countryside" argument.

I got talking to someone living near a bunch of these wind turbines in the lake district and she asked me my opinion on the subject . A good idea , I replied , nothing wrong with them . A look of horror came over the lady and I was obliged to listen to a harangue on their deficiencies , culminating in her trump card that they kept her awake at night . Eventually I even signed a petition against them which the indignant old lady produced .....

Next time I drove past some of the offending windmills I got out and walked right up to one of them . Not a bloody sound... :o Conned again...

I got talking to someone living near a bunch of these wind turbines in the lake district and she asked me my opinion on the subject . A good idea , I replied , nothing wrong with them . A look of horror came over the lady and I was obliged to listen to a harangue on their deficiencies , culminating in her trump card that they kept her awake at night . Eventually I even signed a petition against them which the indignant old lady produced .....

Next time I drove past some of the offending windmills I got out and walked right up to one of them . Not a bloody sound... :o Conned again...

Proving there's one born every minute

A bit of a dilemma really.

I like to do my bit by not leaving the telly on stand-by all night; switching off lights when they are not needed, using the washing machine on low temperature; double glazing is installed as is the loft insulation. It saves me money.

I too quite like wind farms, they are good, but they take energy to build, but then again so do gas-fired & oil-fired power stations.The former have no use when there is no wind. At least the wind farms have little cost once they are constructed.

Then we have the Chelsea tractor syndrome with city dwellers going to Tescos in 5.6 litre Range Rovers and then buggering off to Provence evey other weekend for their hols.

Then again the USA is the biggest global warmer and is steadfastly refusing to do bugger all about it, and China and India are fast on its tracks.

So on a global scale I really am pissing into the wind. It is not an optimistic outcome for our children.

Edited by colin

taxing posters on football forums who never post about football? ;)

Phil, that happened to me about two years ago, I was told because they were affecting the local lay lines and the earths energy at the location.

She seemed surprised when I burst out laughing and shocked whene I told here where she could stuff her pettition.

I then saw getting into a spotless land cruiser.

Bloody suburban weekend hippies :)

So on a global scale I really am pissing into the wind. It is not an optimistic outcome for our children.

Yes, absolutely agreed.

I don't think there'll be a tipping point whereby whether or not Mr Colin puts the kettle on for a cup of tea decides the future of the planet.

The only answer is technology, finding some way to gobble up all the CO2. Because most of the goddam planet is too money mad to do anythign about it.

Presumably being a vegetarian also helps the planet since by not forming part of teh demand for beef you are not responsible for herds of cattle farting all day long on their grain diets.

If you want to find out the trith behind the 'global warming' phenonoman (sp?) read state of fear by Michael Crichton! OK the story is utter Pishh but the arguements within are sound. further more there is a glossery of many scientific papers upon which they are all based, so if you so wish you can make up your own mind using un-biased reports from scientists who do not want to sell papers or fill a 10 minute slot in the scedual!

If you want to find out the trith behind the 'global warming' phenonoman (sp?) read state of fear by Michael Crichton! OK the story is utter Pishh but the arguements within are sound. further more there is a glossery of many scientific papers upon which they are all based, so if you so wish you can make up your own mind using un-biased reports from scientists who do not want to sell papers or fill a 10 minute slot in the scedual!

Of course there is a counter-argument to global warming ... it is the nature of the scientific method to strive for a better understanding of our world through empirical observation and experiment and anybody is entitled to 'throw their hat in the ring' with a theory ... as long as they are prepared to back it up with hard evidence. Science is an evolutionary process and, analagous to biological evolution, the 'best' ideas survive the attacks from detractors. At the moment the vast majority of the scientific community backs the theory of global warming and the ball is firmly in the court of the 'GW' deniers to overturn the current overwhelming weight of evidence ... somthing they have so far failed to do. As a last point .... it is a mistake often made by people ... beliving what they WANT to hear rather than what is ACTUALLY happening.

Don't worry about global warming, there's nothing we or anyone can do to stop it. When it gets hotter humans will have to adapt as they will when it cools down again.

Yes, of course, when it gets hotter we'll just take a layer or two of clothing off, maybe slap on sun factor 2000; when it gets colder, we'll crack out the military surplus gear.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, just assume everything will work out OK. Don't get you backside sunburnt when it gets hotter. It's an obvious danger when sticking your head in the ground.

And don't fret about North Korea having bombs. Let's just stock up on cockroach hide coats. Sorted.

Can anyone tell me how to stop global warming since it's been happening on and off for hundreds of thousands of years. I'm not asking how to slow it but how to stop it. It can't be done, even by paying more taxes or completely stopping our carbon emissions.

How do we know what a normal level is? Some charts show that our temperature is closely related to activity on the sun, how do we control the sun? There is even evidence of global warming on other planets, did we cause that too?

Two separate things though:

- Is global warming real? Global warming I take to refer to human activity increasing the air temperature.

- What do governments do to stop it.

Stop muddling the two ... saying it's a half-arsed ruse to extract more taxes out of us, doesn't defeat the first point.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.