BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your First Concert

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't remember.

Do remember Cilla Black doing a gig at the Locarno, in Swindon, that was a dance though, and we used to get lots of popular artists/groups of the time.

Love Jazz, there was a weekly Jazz club at McIlroys, Swindon, all the favourites were there, Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk, Pasadena Roof Orchestra - wonderful days.

Saw lots of George Melly concerts - great stuff, and popular groups of the 70s/80s at the Wyvern Theatre, Swindon.

Haven't been to a decent concert for years - life is passing me by :huh:

Don't remember.

Do remember Cilla Black doing a gig at the Locarno, in Swindon, that was a dance though, and we used to get lots of popular artists/groups of the time.

Love Jazz, there was a weekly Jazz club at McIlroys, Swindon, all the favourites were there, Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk, Pasadena Roof Orchestra - wonderful days.

Saw lots of George Melly concerts - great stuff, and popular groups of the 70s/80s at the Wyvern Theatre, Swindon.

Haven't been to a decent concert for years - life is passing me by :huh:

Did you ever see Tom Waits? saw him at the free trade hall manchester, just TW on piano, a drummer and a double bass player.

TW started the gig on piano with "the piano has been drinking not me" and came out with the line "under the circumcision, its very prophilatic to be here"

brought the house down

:lol::lol:

Yes whooped is probably the wrong word, destroyed more like :lol:

we played from the 70's until a couple of years ago so we must have "met"

;)

I can feel a challenge coming on - how about settling this with a BRFCS.com table footy tournament to be played on match days?

Is there any interest?

Alright then! Loads of great concerts everyone's seen. Usually my friends would have seen some band like Candlebox or Billy Ray Cyrus so they try and forget that.

Ok then, name your three favorite concerts, year, venue, and why...I'll start off...

3) Lollapalooza '93. My 2nd concert. Saw Ministry, Red Hot Chili Peppers(when they were still good)Jesus and Mary Chain, Ice Cube, Lush, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam(again). Wonderful day even though heat stroke was close by at every turn. Ministry was the best of them all. Never been among so many people at a concert before. Fantastic day out.

2) Frank Black, 1993, Bayou Ballroom(?). First time I had seen anyone from The Pixies(I'm mad about this group) live. I was on crutches as I had sprained my ankle pretty badly. Although I tossed them in order to get closer to the action. I even got his set list! Greatness!

1) Fishbone and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, 1994, Same venue as above. I've seen both bands live a few more times after this, but this show was the best. The lead singer of Fishbone(read that band's history for a bizarre read) would jump in and crowd-surf while singing or playing his sax and never missed a beat. I almost got choked by the mic cord as he surfed back into the crowd. The Bosstones put on a great show as well.

Others of note, Prince 1997, Nirvana(a few months befor Kurt died) and The Breeders 1994, House of Pain & Cypress Hill 1992, Josh Wink 1997, Beck 1997, Morris Day and The Time 1997, KMFDM 1997, Beastie Boys 1992...and loads others....

Take That at the GMEX in about 1992/3. Seen them loads of times since then and going again in November this year!!!!

OMG ..THIS WAS A GOOD THREAD UNTIL YOU WROTE THIS...I CAN FORGIVE MUM FOR CILLA BLACK BUT JHC H FAKE T@@ GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :unsure:

Bryan Adams @ Slane Castle (Co. Meath) 2000.

Pretty decent, with back-ups from Mel C, Moby, Muse, Eagle Eyed Cherry and Macy Gray. Slane concerts are pretty amazing and is usually a very good day out. A mate lives about 1 mile from the castle, so staying over is pretty handy.

You know, none of you need to feel sorry for me! I really enjoyed it.

Just because I am so much younger than you. You have to remember that there were lots of young impresionable teenagers that were sucked into the phenomena that were(are) Take that!

You know, none of you need to feel sorry for me! I really enjoyed it.

Just because I am so much younger than you. You have to remember that there were lots of young impresionable teenagers that were sucked into the phenomena that were(are) Take that!

yes but they were/are sh1t....no matter how old you are. They are a manufactured pop act, their only purpose in life is to fleece young impressionable gullible pubescent girls of their pocket money. Obviously it worked. :D

yes but they were/are sh1t....no matter how old you are. They are a manufactured pop act, their only purpose in life is to fleece young impressionable gullible pubescent girls of their pocket money. Obviously it worked. :D

Aren't we being a bit uptight?

I thought a key purpose of all bands was to secure enough commercial success to feed whatever lifestyle demands their members have.

Apart from that, whilst I'm not a fan, I am assured by colleagues that Gary Barlow can write a half-decent tune.

First real concert was probably Turbonegro in Trondheim around 2002, that's the first good concert experience I can remember anyway.

Best concerts since;

- Pearl Jam in Prague 2006

28 songs, over two hours of great music - and they still hadn't played "Black" or "Rearviewmirror".

Roky Erickson, Roskilde 07 and Øyafestivalen 07

The Godfather of Garage toured again after fifteen years of heavy mental problems in 2003, and four years later he looked as good as ever - particularly in Oslo. Being put through electroshock therapy in the 70s, he's far out there, but what a musician and what a voice.

Those are the two that stands out really, I'm looking forward to seeing Iggy and the Stooges and Motörhead later this year.

Archived