BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your First Concert

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apart from that, whilst I'm not a fan, I am assured by colleagues that Gary Barlow can write a half-decent tune.

....is that the fat cross-eyed one? :huh:

First rock gig- Stackridge although the best gigs from that time (mid '70s) were Hot Chocolate and Deaf School

First folk concert- Mike Absolom

First classical concert included Grieg Piano Concerto and Dvorak New World Symphony

First Opera- Semele

yes but they were/are sh1t....no matter how old you are. They are a manufactured pop act, their only purpose in life is to fleece young impressionable gullible pubescent girls of their pocket money. Obviously it worked. :D

Yeah it did work! They never made any secret about being manufactured. I would argue they were not ###### though. Maybe not to your taste but ###### is a bit harsh.

What they did they did well - how many other boy bands have achieved what they achieved?

yes but they were/are sh1t....no matter how old you are. They are a manufactured pop act, their only purpose in life is to fleece young impressionable gullible pubescent girls of their pocket money. Obviously it worked. :D

Cletus,

Possibly a bit harsh there. Most bands nowadays try to fleece their fans. I've bought the ocassional "The Fall" T shirt for some stupid price. No doubt Abbey has his few heavy metal shirts, some will have their U2 or Artic Monkeys gear which wil have the bands rolling about in money.

"Young impressionable gullible pubescent girls" are entitled as the rest of us to be exploited. At least their Mums & Dads are there to say "No."

They are entitled as the rest of us to spend money on unimportant rubbish. If they enjoy it then who are we to complain?

Adam and the Ants at the Ancienne Belgique in Brussels in 1980. Brilliant gig. Followed that with Haircut 100 at the same place!

The last band I saw was Duran Duran completely reunited at Manchester Apollo. Again, a brilliant gig.

First gig/gigs was a festival at around '97. The main acts being Megadeth and Bad Religion.

At the time, I was expecting all out action from beer fueled headbanging to manic pogoing.

And that's what I got :rover: I was never the biggest fan of either bands but both just played excellent gigs. Especially Megadeth was at the time loads better as a live band than on record.

One of the best gigs is probably seeing Iggy Pop at Stockholm at around 2002 (?). Iggy doing what Iggy does.

We decided to go to that gig about three days before it was played so there was all kind of hassle from getting time off from work to getting tickets for the Stockholm boat. At the end we ended spending the night after the gig 'sleeping' in a park accompanied by a bottle of absinthe and loads of beer :rover: Decent fun, but I've tried to avoid sleeping in the parks ever since. The ground can get quite cold in those islands at Stockholm......

Seeing Stones on their 'best of' tour was quite excellent too for a fan.. The gig on the latest tour wasn't that special but still loads of better than some people are saying...

Of the more recent bands/artist, I quite enjoyed Ed Harcourt's gig about a year ago. Good songs, great performances and decent banter too.

Talking only about sound and music, I've to give some praise to Elton John. We got free tickets for his concert about a year or two ago. Didn't have the greatest expectations, but the band was just excellent. Top musicianship. Haven´t got an idea who they were, but haven't ever heard as good sound and musicianship by a rock band. Bowie's band from the Mick Ronson era came to my mind to some extent.

Adam and the Ants at the Ancienne Belgique in Brussels in 1980. Brilliant gig. Followed that with Haircut 100 at the same place!

Adam & the Ants played twice in reasonably short order at KGH - the first time they were touting themselves in black leather/bondage singing about Cartrouble, xerox machines and Dirk wearing white sox only to have a complete transformation and turn up shortly after as Kings of The Wild Frontier! Bizarre, but pretty good in both guises ................... at first.

Archived