BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your First Concert

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my first was ac/dc @ kgh or guild hall cant remember where....my first remered one was gillan @ the guild hall...they used to have good nights ,macc lads,ufo,scorpions,thin lizzy,spider,old quo,maiden,gary moore,msg ,the black crowes and loads more

:lol: you forgot Magnum on your list Abs. They seemed to play KGH every 3weeks or so! :lol:

.....infact Magnum spoiled my whole perception of what being a rock star was like, after they passed the queue of eager fans outside KGH carrying Tesco bags, with long coats & spandex pants sticking out the bottom. We watched in amazement as the whole band walked past & went & sat in a transit van on the KGH carpark to rummaged through their shopping bags :lol:

ROCK & ROLL!!!! B)

I doubt very much that Bob Seger has ever played at Blackburn .

I could be wrong but I'd be very surprised indeed ......great group ; "Stranger in Town" is a fantastic album for anyone interested .

It's not often your right, but your wrong this time :lol:

King Georges hall used to have some top acts before the venue became to small for all the tech eqipment etc

My mate saw David Bowie at KGH and got back stage and went for a meal with him after the gig. In the 70's again.

Can't believe I'm admitting this:

Weird Al Yankovic

During his tour for the album whose cover spoofed the Nirvana Album, called "Off the deep end"

So that would have been circa 1992, I would have been 13-14 or so.

Actually got a signed cassette tape and tour shirt too (friend of my parents had someone working in the locar radio station and got em a backstage pass)

played in Manchester, NH, it was in a hotel/convention center ballrom type area.

Hilariously funny, actually.

i was there too !!

Make that three of us. My first gig too. The number of the beast tour if memory serves.

As an aside - Best Donnington ever was 1991 with Metallica and AC/DC. Maiden were individually better in 1992, but for a complete gig, that year was the best.

1992 sounded good. Now its the likes of My Chemical Toilet headlining. Tsk.

Anyway, it was 1999 the Big Day Out, and I remember my friend saying when they went to Ozzfest last year, his parents could hear the bass at home. They lived in Upper Shelton, which is 10 to 15 miles away and the other side of the M1. Big Day Out was great.

The first I can recall was

5th July 1969 in Hyde Park.

Can I lay claim to the title of Oldest Rocker in Town? :(

There seem to be a worrying number of heavy metal fans on here!

Pink Floyd - May 7, 1971 at Lancaster University. Also on the bill, I think, were Traffic. Elton John was also due to play but pulled-out because, if I recall correctly, "Your Song" had just made No1 (didn't like him anyway)!

I tell a lie - remembered today that I saw Fontella Bass at the Stax Club in Blackburn, must've been around 1970.

I heard "Rescue Me" on the radio today & it brought it all back to me!

Make that three of us. My first gig too. The number of the beast tour if memory serves.

As an aside - Best Donnington ever was 1991 with Metallica and AC/DC. Maiden were individually better in 1992, but for a complete gig, that year was the best.

1983 was "Piece of Mind Tour". Still got the program. NOTB was 1982.

Have seen Maiden 5 times now, the last time at Donnington 88 (7th son tour) B)

There seem to be a worrying number of heavy metal fans on here!

There's a lot of it about. My first gig was Girlschool (no not Westholme or anything like that) at Preston in 1981 (I think) - they were a Metal band, kind of like the female equivalent of Motorhead, and they were very good. I was 11.

Talking of the mighty Motorhead, that was my first gig at KGH in 1984, also the loudest gig I've ever been to. I've seen them about nine times now, always loud but never that loud. So loud you couldn't tell what they were playing in places. I had ringing in my ears for a week afterwards.

They had what appeared to be a full stage of these things:

marshall-wall.jpg

1992 sounded good. Now its the likes of My Chemical Toilet headlining. Tsk.

Anyway, it was 1999 the Big Day Out, and I remember my friend saying when they went to Ozzfest last year, his parents could hear the bass at home. They lived in Upper Shelton, which is 10 to 15 miles away and the other side of the M1. Big Day Out was great.

noticed that myself, would say worring, BUT we all probably drank in the Vulcan / Peel at the same time....

Bob Fleming..."Talking of the mighty Motorhead, that was my first gig at KGH in 1984, also the loudest gig I've ever been to"

I too remember that gig! Indeed the loudest noise i`ve probably ever heard! :blink:

Bob Fleming..."My first gig was Girlschool"

I used to be in a group & we supported them in manchester, back in 92 B)

3rd Pillar..."we all probably drank in the Vulcan / Peel at the same time...."

Aye! Vulcan/Peel/Courts/Grapes (before it was sh1t) & Charles Napier.

Them wer`t days!! :tu::tu:

Motorhead (again) with Saxon, I think it was the Bomber tour in 79 or 80, at King Georges Hall. Unbelievably loud, so loud that all I could hear for the next three days was a shrill whistling sound in my ears.

Someone mentioned Steve Gibbons a bit back, I saw him play in Clitheroe last year to a crowd of 10 people.

I was a regular on the Vulcan/Courts/Peel scene back in the 80's too!

Prince, NEC Arena, erm 1988. Two and a half hours of showing off from the purple prankster

Well that beats me in the "cool" department. My first concert was a rather naff Canadian band called "Glass Tiger" that I doubt was ever heard in the UK, even thought the lead singer was Scottish. He was last scene giving "man-in-the-pub" reports during Canadian coverage of the 06 World Cup.

Motorhead (again) with Saxon, I think it was the Bomber tour in 79 or 80, at King Georges Hall. Unbelievably loud, so loud that all I could hear for the next three days was a shrill whistling sound in my ears.

I was a regular on the Vulcan/Courts/Peel scene back in the 80's too!

I went to that gig and, indeed, there were people sticking their heads into the bank of Marshalls onstage. Motorhead were a mighty prospect live, weren't they? I seem to recall spending (too much) time on the Vulcan/Peel/Napier/Grapes circuit - Blackburn was pretty happening at the time as KGH was one of the key venues for mid-size bands and I seem to recall seeing loads of bands there on their way up (The Police, Joy Division, AC/DC to name but three).

Nostalgia's not what it used to be, is it?

I too remember that gig! Indeed the loudest noise i`ve probably ever heard! :blink:

I used to be in a group & we supported them in manchester, back in 92 B)

Aye! Vulcan/Peel/Courts/Grapes (before it was sh1t) & Charles Napier.

Them wer`t days!! :tu::tu:

they were the days alright, if you ventured onto the football tables my doubles partner and i probably whooped you silly

:lol:

they were the days alright, if you ventured onto the football tables my doubles partner and i probably whooped you silly

Hmmmm - I think we may have been around at different times as we never got whooped by anybody on the tables - in fact quite the reverse!

I seriously doubt that ;)

was ozzy on ?and the crue? seem to forget

Hmmmm - I think we may have been around at different times as we never got whooped by anybody on the tables - in fact quite the reverse!

Yes whooped is probably the wrong word, destroyed more like :lol:

we played from the 70's until a couple of years ago so we must have "met"

;)

Archived