BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beckham For The England Job

waggy

That is ######.

Italy- far higher prortion of Serie A is Italian plus some top players in the Prem and Liga. Ditto France in the French League and Germany in the German League and to a lesser extent Spain but plus Liverpool and Arsenal.

That would be an interesting comparison. Number of each nationality of players competing in the big five leagues. I do agree England would come last, but I think Germany would be the second least amount (very few germans play abroad), then Italy, then Spain. France would have to have the most. There are dozens of their players in all four of the top leagues outside France.

That is ######.

Italy- far higher prortion of Serie A is Italian plus some top players in the Prem and Liga. Ditto France in the French League and Germany in the German League and to a lesser extent Spain but plus Liverpool and Arsenal.

Of course some leagues have a higher percentage of players, but as far as number of players capable of playing international football the pool is the same. Does it matter if the 4th choice striker for the club 18th in the league is English or German? Not really. We more than one player capable of playing each position at a high enough standard (goalkeeper being the only bit of a doubt for me), so as long as that is the case then the pool doesn't even need to be brought into question. English players don't go abroad because the Premiership is for a lot of people the best league in the world, on top of that the money is good and most English players are more suited to the style. The fact that there aren't English players abroad is by no means an indication of the quality of player available for the England manager.

France would have to have the most. There are dozens of their players in all four of the top leagues outside France.

Simple reason for it, the French league is the worst of the nations you mentioned. Any good French player will leave the French league to play for bigger teams, in better leagues and for more money. Why stay in France when the only team of true quality is Lyon and even they probably wouldn't make the top 4 in England. I'll stick to the fact that basically all of the major nations have 30-60 players that they consider when picking a squad, each nation is producing just about the same number of quality players.

Goalkeepers yes.

Fullback? Right maybe, but then Neville is still more than good enough, Richards does a good job there. Slight problem but not huge.

Left fullback we are probably the best off of any nation in the world.

Centre back? Not a chance. Ferdinand, Terry, Richards, Lescott, Carragher (if he had actually been used) as well as others. How many do you want?

Centre forwards? In the true sense of the word, yes, but as far as strikers or forwards are concerned certainly not. Owen remains one of the best goalscorers out there and Rooney is a world class player. Johnson, Defoe, Crouch, Ashton and again I could continue to list players who I think are more than good enough to be squad players in international football.

If you analyse any international side with a really critical eye you can pick huge holes in most of them. England have enough good players to be as good as anyone, that isn't the excuse. Attitude, management or whatever you want to use can explain it, but they are good enough.

Goalkeepers yes.

Fullback? Right maybe, but then Neville INJURED is still more than good enough, Richards does a good job there. Slight problem but not huge. SUBSTITUTES?

Left fullback we are probably the best off of any nation in the world. OH YES- WHO?

Centre back? Not a chance. Ferdinand, Terry INJURED, Richards YOU'VE ALREADY USED HIM AT RB, Lescott RUBBISH, Carragher RETIRED (if he had actually been used) as well as others. How many do you want? YOU HAVEN'T EVEN GOT TWO YET

Centre forwards? In the true sense of the word, yes, but as far as strikers or forwards are concerned certainly not. Owen remains one of the best goalscorers out there and Rooney is a world class player. Johnson INJURED, Defoe RUBBISH, Crouch NOT PLAYING FOR LIVERPOOL, Ashton INJURED and again I could continue to list players who I think are more than good enough to be squad players in international football.

If you analyse any international side with a really critical eye you can pick huge holes in most of them. England have enough good players to be as good as anyone, that isn't the excuse. Attitude, management or whatever you want to use can explain it, but they are good enough.

I mean he's not going to be able to go buy the best players in the world now is he.

Really, he did not buy any players? he just stuck with what he had and turned 'em in the European champs. Wow, sign him up.

Compare the two phrases and have another think please. I did not say he didn't bring in anything new. You said "the best players in the world". My point was that he had limited resources available at Porto, a far cry from what was given to him at Chelsea. From this point of view, it would be sort of similar with managing a national squad, because you make do with a limited base of players, you can't just chase new ones from anywhere you'd like.

I didn't realise that once a player is injured and misses a game then you suddenly think there are no options.

If you think the likes of Lescott and Defoe are rubbish then there isn't really much I can do. I'd love to see what you thought of the 4th or 5th choice players in the French, Spanish or Italian sides.

I don't think anyone could put up with Beckham being interviewed all the time, er, erm, er, you know, erm, er!

Used to get on my nerves when he was captain. He is one of those who was a top class player but won't go on to be a good manager, if he decides to go down that route which I don't think he will.

Mourinho is the best option available, couldn't stand him at Chelsea, mainly because the man oozes arrogance. The Chelsea fan's adored him & I think England fans would as well, he could handle himself in the media & would get the best out of the players.

Will the FA get rid of McLaren though?? Doubt it, they will give him chance to turn it around in the world cup qualifying, to save face for appointing such a muppet.

Anyone with half a brain cell on the FA would ditch McLaren NOW & get Mourinho in.

No decent goal keepers and we are desperately thin right now at full back, centre back and centre forwards.

Apart from that you have a point Eddie.

Green is playing very well just now. Could be the best English keeper around right now, but then form fluctuates for them all (except Brad of course ;)

Archived