BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Indian Cricketers Taking Their Ball And Going Home!

Sledging is within the laws of the game, racial abuse is not.

Whilst I didn't want to turn this thread into a 16 in a row argument over the fairness of the umpiring decisions, the fact is they have 16 in a row with a team that has smashed south africa, england, sri lanka and now india (arguably the other top four test playing nations)

For Flopsy, Ponting took a catch in Melbourne that he could have claimed and probably would have been given but said he didn't catch it.

With Ganguly, the umpire had given him out, Ponting was clearly asking if that was the case "Is he out?" because no finger was raised only a nod of the head to Ganguly, then the umpire raised his finger. Replays clearly show that Clarke caught the ball why doesn't Ganguly do the right thing and walk?. Why no discussion on his ethics?

Do you think that taking their bat and ball and going home is acceptable behavior because they didn't receive the 'rub of the green'?

On HS, 'monkey' is clearly an acceptable racist taunt in India as shown by the posters that were shown on TV and the one that has been used previously, to be quite honest with you Flopsy, monkey is not an Australian term and you would be hard pressed to find anyone in Australia who would use that exact term as a racist taunt, why Symonds would say that he said it if he didn't is beyond me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The taunt was used in India, something the crowd adopted, and it offended Roy.

It was agreed prior to the test series that racial taunts would be reported.

It was also agreed that Roy was offended by the comment, and Harbi would not use it.

Harbi used the taunt.

Roy was offended, and felt racially vilified.

The Aussies did what both teams had agreed, and reported racial vilification.

The two teams were summonsed, and cases heard.

Harbi was found to have racially vilified Roy, and duly suspended.

As I stated in my earlier post, this dispute is nothing to do with racism but the Australian blight on cricket.

Required reading for all convict cricket followers and anyone who loves the game.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/col...icle3149148.ece

Perhaps the ICC might now support the Indians and act against the real villains of the piece ......

Sledging is within the laws of the game, racial abuse is not.

Is it really neekoy? Well it damned well shouldn't be. That sort of thing is most definitely not in the spirit of the game and it should not be allowed at all cos to the best of my knowledge there are no guidelines drawn up to cover the extent of it. Call me a monkey and I couldn't give a flying flerk whatsoever but insult my wife and family and its time for the old ultra V no warning and no messing.

But in this instance Symonds must be a right puff! The obvious intent was to put him off which imo the 'proper' cricketers of old would have taken as a compliment in that the opposition were prepared to resort to methods other than cricketing abilities to get him out. The correct response should have been along the lines of "Eh? YOU are calling ME a monkey Sabu? Kinell I've heard it all now! Have you no effin mirrors in your house?"

The Aussies obviously don't like the taste of their own medicine whilst the Indian response to defeat unfortunately has probably suprised no one.

Call me a monkey and I couldn't give a flying flerk whatsoever

Let me guess your white?

People who are very comfortable within there majority race in soceity will never understand racism to the extent that minorities do.

That is a fact.

Im with Theno and SAR on this, it really should be dealt with on the pitch, and then between the captains and the palyers after the game.

Can I just say that if it can be proved then Singh deserves everything thrown at him, but as far as i can see there is no evidence.

Neekoy, he grassed it (possibly) and then Ponting stuck his finger in the air, and considering ht eblatent none walking from Ponting, Pup and Symonds, you have no grounds to complain about a player not walking on what is a very iffy catch.

Also Ponting claimed a catch earleir on that had hit the ground first, then got upset when this was pointed out in the press conference.

Let me guess your white?

People who are very comfortable within there majority race in soceity will never understand racism to the extent that minorities do.

That is a fact.

Than snow emerton. :rolleyes: As also is Symonds. :wacko:

BUT that is why I would have retorted as I suggested. I dont really understand where you are coming from here, your argument seems poorly thought out. Prob less than 20m white Australians v prob about a billion on the Indian sub-continent...... exactly what do the words 'majority' and 'minority' mean in your world?

Can I just say that if it can be proved then Singh deserves everything thrown at him, but as far as i can see there is no evidence.

Sorry only the ball is allowed to be flung at anyone in this sport. :rolleyes: Anyway anyone comparing the two people must see that Singh calling Symonds is comical?

When society can make such a huge issue of something as pathetically trivial as this that we have seriously lost the plot. Remember Nero and his fiddle? Global warming, nukes in Pakistan, N Korea and Iran, Ebola, Aids, drugs, Worldwide terror etc etc and we make an absolute Everest out of a teaspoon of soil. Where has rationale, perspective and basic common sense gone?

btw speaking of which....... has anybody considered that this could seriously damage the career of Johnny Vegas! He's made a fortune from calling a sock a monkey, now he'll have to call it....... a sock. :)

errrr lets get back to the cricket and not whether Im racist because im white or racist towards minorities because im white.

Talking of the cricket

Bucknor appears to have finally been put out to pasture (probably 3 years later than he should have been)

India as a nation appears to have spat its dummy out of the Pram

Ponting appears to be even more stupid/ignorant than I gave him credit for after his latest paper interview

Cricket is rather interesting again

errrr lets get back to the cricket and not whether Im racist because im white or racist towards minorities because im white.

Cricket is rather interesting again

Contradiction in terms Flopsy. Whites are in the minority on this planet. You need to get out more. :rolleyes:

BUT

Cricket has only had about half a dozen interesting events in it's entire history. The Botham Test, Botham running out Boycott, Bodyline (a return to that and the banning of puffy helmets and body armour might just be the ideal solution to this sledging issue I'd suggest), Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd and Learie Constantine playing in the ecky thump cap league and of course Sir Garfield Sober's 6 6's. Apart from that it's been simply the second best cure for insomnia in the world ...... Formula 1 reigning supreme of course.

Contradiction in terms Flopsy. Whites are in the minority on this planet. You need to get out more. :rolleyes:

BUT

Cricket has only had about half a dozen interesting events in it's entire history. The Botham Test, Botham running out Boycott, Bodyline (a return to that and the banning of puffy helmets and body armour might just be the ideal solution to this sledging issue I'd suggest), Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd and Learie Constantine playing in the ecky thump cap league and of course Sir Garfield Sober's 6 6's. Apart from that it's been simply the second best cure for insomnia in the world ...... Formula 1 reigning supreme of course.

There was Mike Gatting's mate Shakor Rana...there was the time Botham invited one of the Chappell brothers to meet him outside the Adelaide Oval for a bit of fisticuffs following an incident on the pitch (are you listening Turbinator and Symonds?) ..btw the Chappell apparently didn't turn up :mellow:

he got three over the whole series - India got about 10 in one match, a sutble difference - although its interesting that the last series that Australia didnt get all the umpiring decisions going their way they lost.

They ahve had the rub of the green since 2005, and therefore have won. They are also the best batsman and the best all round bowling attack and great fielders, and will usually win, but they wouldnt be so far ahead if they didnt get the decisions, especially in Australia (look at the Ashes last year, we were well beaten, but we werent 5-0 worse and Strauss was crucially given a number of utter shockers)

Sangakara against Aus - 197 given out for gloving the ball behind when his hand was nowhere near the shoulder that the the ball hit. Quite likely, looking at the way he and Malinga were batting and Aus were bowling (woefully) that they would have come damn close to winning or at least saving the match, but again, given out.

Please dont get me wrong, Aus are a great team, its just looking at the way they get the rub of the green (god bless sky and you tube) its obvious that they arent as far out in front of the rest of the pack as they would like us to believe.

In one day cricket on the other hand, they are by far the best team in the world by a country mile, its just test cricket they are less so.

Perhaps we notice Australia getting the 'rub of the green' more often because there players make the most of an extra life and fill their boots as they are superior batsmen.

Granted the Australians have had huge slices of 'luck' throughout this recent test match, however having watched test cricket regulary over the past few years (as I'm sure you have too) I can personally say, in my opinion, I have never thought Australia recieve special treatment from umpires.

Perhaps we notice Australia getting the 'rub of the green' more often because there players make the most of an extra life and fill their boots as they are superior batsmen.

Thats partially true, however we cant know that because the other teams dont get that "luck". Especially in Australia.

The current Australian team is excellent (although the Spinner and third seamer less so) however it is likely the Indians would have at least drawn the game if not won it (if Symonds had been given out in the first innings when he should have been, the score would have been 150 ish for 7) but as they dont go and the Indians then get some really abd ones to remove their best batsmen, then the game is too skewed in Australias favour.

It was the case, but a lot less in the Ashes last winter. England deserved to lose, but not 5-0 (3 or 4 nil perhaps) but the decisions, especially against Strauss and for Hayden (you dont get plumber than he was) and Warne was such that it couldnt really be a completely fair contest.

Although again before the aussies get their arse in their hands, I accept that Australia were the much better side.

But in Australia, you have no chance, if the Umpries are not completely fair and Bucknor and to a lesser extent Benson were bloody awful and biased in their decisions towards Australia, although I do not believe it was deliberate.

I see Hogg's just been charged for calling someone a @#/?

But in Australia, you have no chance, if the Umpries are not completely fair and Bucknor and to a lesser extent Benson were bloody awful and biased in their decisions towards Australia, although I do not believe it was deliberate.

All umpires and referees have bad days and even you aren't accusing this lot of deliberately cheating .

The problem we have here is that certain teams - ie , the sub-continental teams - now seem to have the power , which they aren't shy of using , of ending the careers of umpires they don't like . This will undoubtedly influence decisions in their favour in the future making a mockery of the game and everything it stands for .

It's as if Alex Ferguson were to demand that refs he didn't like be sacked ....and then the Prem authorities were to comply with his wishes .

In the interests of the game it's high time that we left the sub continent to play on their own for a while - until they learn to restrain themselves and remember that it's only a bloody game .

I can accuse them of being incompetant and not up to the job, which Bucknor has not been for years.

And as for the sub continetal teams, well India controls 70% of the ICC revenue, although I pointed out on one of the other blogs that a ban for India might well be the slap across the face that the BCCI needs to grow the (Please don't use that word again) up and start acting like responsible adults.

Although the ICC will be to gutless to try that.

I still doesnt take away from the fact that teh Indians were not given a fair chance in the test match and that as far as I can tell Singh has been convicted on the most tenuous of evidence and some of the australian team have not behaved anywhere near the spirit of cricket they profess to adhere too.

I think the main thing that will hopefully come out of this test is that the Umpires will be allowed to use technology to help them, as in

a) having the third umpire inform them if they've made a howler as in a lbw when its been inside edged, or a catch that did or did not travel

b ) captains being able to appeal two decisions per innings

c) Vicious personal sledging banned

d) Stump mics being used all the time and turned up so everything said can be heard

e) the procedure for the match referee to fine/prosecute player to be made more public, especially in regards to level three offences

f) All Players reminded of what is not acceptable behaviour and language

Hmm, no thats not the reason, but thanks for your input

Fun fact about opinions; unless they're blatant lies or proven wrong, then no one can say they're wrong.

Also, I'm not going to pretend I know anything about cricket, but the way you rant about the Australians makes it appear as if you believe there is some giant cricket conspiracy. Every single one of the greatest teams in every sport became great not only for strictly beating their opponents, but by exploiting errors made by umpires and officials. Every team has a bot of luck, or 'rub of the green' or whatever you wanna call it; it's the great teams that capitalize on it. I don't know why you're so headstrong about bashing the Australians, but it seems rather silly and makes me not want to read this thread anymore.

I think most sensible people realise that the Aussies are an awesome team and have been for years - despite the arrogance they display (and to be honest are entitled to display).

To me that makes it all the more imperative that they are beaten fairly without whingeing about umpires and sledging etc . God only knows when that will happen .

Flopsy's idea about captains having a couple of appeals to the third umpire would help ......although the Indians and Pakistanis would want about ten and have the third umpire to be one of their own <_<

Archived