BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Wants Euro Refs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ers/7329350.stm

This has got to be the most sensible idea to have emerged in the last couple of weeks. The FA would never go for it though, it might upset the balance of the Big 4 being the top 4. If we have European players why not European refs? I'm sick and tired of our refs, they are terrible and there isn't one left that I have any respect for, time for a breath of fresh air from overseas - refs without all the baggage, media pressure and scores to settle.

I think this was mentioned a couple of years back when Collina retired from reffing in Italy, as I remember at the time it was mentioned that Collina could ref in the Premiership as the retirement age in England is higher than Italy but as usual nothing happened, maybe Mr Hackett wouldn't like it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ers/7329350.stm

This has got to be the most sensible idea to have emerged in the last couple of weeks.

Blowing my own trumpet but I suggested this on here a couple of years ago. There is so much money swilling around our game that we can attract the worlds best players so it makes obvious sense that we should have enough to attract the world s best refs.

btw judging by the pathetic displays of Poll and Riley in major tournaments it appears that we must have close to the worlds worst! The watershed for our lot imo was the World Cup in the USA. Our referees were tainted by stupid rules and even stupider enforcement of them and have never recovered. Foreign referees appeared to fly home and return to normal our lot just got worse and worse.

The issues about respect for refs can't be solved by overseas imports. Its deeper than that. The whole English game needs to change its culture from fans to players about how we treat people who are basically doing their job in an extremely pressurised environment.

Overseas refs will not solve this problem. This countries footballing culture and stucture would be in danger of being controlled, played and regulated by foreigners.

The issues about respect for refs can't be solved by overseas imports.

Just to pick up on that single point, - the one single thing that irks me, is when the ref is approached by a horde of players protesting a decision. Virtually every time, the referee back away from them. When are they going to stand their ground and tell the player/s "one more step towards me and you're booked. and if they get closer, then do it, book 'em. Stop them in their tracks. That's got to be the first initiative hasn't it?

The issues about respect for refs can't be solved by overseas imports. Its deeper than that. The whole English game needs to change its culture from fans to players about how we treat people who are basically doing their job in an extremely pressurised environment.

Overseas refs will not solve this problem. This countries footballing culture and stucture would be in danger of being controlled, played and regulated by foreigners.

Lack of respect for refs comes from, IMHO, refs not doing their jobs for so long when it comes to dissent. The rules have been there as long as the game itself when it comes to dissent, foul and abusive language etc. See, the refs have let players get away with it for so long, particularly bigger name players that it's all become increasingly more frequent. Then as is often the case, there is a flashpoint a la the Ashley Cole incident and then there is a "crack down" on that sort of thing. (Or BRFC players are held to the letter of the law) In reality it should never have been allowed to get that far, we dish out yellows for shirts coming off yet for years refs have allowed players to chirp on and on, to argue every single call when in fact simple and consistant application of the rules over time would have been more prudent and prevented things escalating the way they have.

This kind of goes against his statement last year about the England national coaches. Sparky said something like that it should be reserved for English people since it gave every English coach a prospect to look forward to and climb against. Is there really a difference with refrees then?

Archived