BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Interview Advice

I have a telephone interview on Friday for a job that I really want. Apparently it lasts for 30 minutes, which seems a long time for a telephone interview, and as I've never done one before I'm pretty nervous. Does anyone know what kind of things to expect in this kind of interview? Apparently it's a 'competency' based interview, with some people then being asked for a full interview after that. I don't think they're necessarily wanting work related experiences because it's a uni-alternative job (i.e. 18-mid 20s) so I'm a little bit stumped about what I'm going to say. This is the only info I've been given:

"As mentioned previously, this will be a competency based telephone interview, which will last approximately 30 minutes.

You will be asked to provide examples of your skills and experiences, which relate to specific competencies such as teamwork and communication. In preparation for the interview, you should think about occasions when you have faced difficult situations and be prepared to explain how you overcame these challenges."

I've always played football and captained a few sides, so would that go down ok for teamwork skills experiences etc, or is not 'work-related' enough? The last bit especially has got me stuck, I can't think of anything to say for that. There must be a lot more covered in 30 minutes as well, does anyone have any ideas what they might say?

I hate telephones at the best of times, so I'm trying to prepare as best as I can for this so that I don't mess it up.

I'd suggest any school projects where you were working with a group. Generally, for entry level jobs, they want to make sure you present yourself well. Speak clearly and try to be personable, don't add umm, uhhhh, like, etc. to your sentences.

Love interviews – they are easy!

Communication – If you have any examples - Try and come up with an example where you have had to deal with some sort of complaint? Tell them what the problem was, that the person was angry and upset and how you dealt with it.

Teamwork – Captain isn’t a great one, but not bad. You could maybe mention – again if you have an example? Where you have worked as part of a team to get a task done? Maybe to meet a deadline or something where you have helped colleagues, any maybe worked extra hours?

Cheers guys, I'll bear that in mind. Generally I like interviews, I've just never had a phone one before so I'm not sure what to expect. Hopefully it will just be the same as normal ones but over the phone...

That's pretty much standard for an interview.

It shouldn't be too difficult, at that age you haven't got a wealth of experience to draw upon when they say: "So, tell me about a time when ...". So, it's the time when extra-mural activities, like having run a club or whatever, can come in very handy.

"Difficult situations" normally means multiple deadlines and pressure, or conflict within a team, and resolving that, or solving a technical, complicated problem using a variety of resources.

Instead of memorising some answers you could come up with, take advantage of the format of teh interview (they can't see you presumably) by writing some crib notes on answers to questions you anticipate facing.

They'll probably ask you to tell them about yourself. Avoid talking about everything you've done since you were born. Start with your latest job, pick out some interesting, relevant points about them, and move backwards through that.

The more you prepare, the more relaxed you'll be, and so the better you'll perform. A fully-prepared candidate stands out a mile and is at a massive advantage.

above, relax, it's an interview, theya ren't goign to stab you to death or anything.

Don't write your crib notes in pre-formed sentences - it is so easy to tell whether a person is reading by their tone of voice.

But do have your notes as "trigger" words or phrases you can easily see on the page- don't get trapped by not reading your own handwriting or shuffling papers looking for that particular point you have forgotten.

I would suggest using a hand set and not hands free as a hands free would pick up any background noises like shuffling papers or you tapping a pencil etc.

If there are other people where you are make sure they don't interrupt you or start doing anything noisy.

On a phone interview, avoid saying things like err, um, you know etc. Linguistic mistakes are much more exposed than in a face to face interview.

Don't swear, use slang or try anything like a joke- you cannot see the other person to see if they get it.

If it is a female interviewer, don't fantasise. The sexier they sound on the phone, the more likely it is an act they have developed to cover the fact they are plug ugly.

The sexier they sound on the phone, the more likely it is an act they have developed to cover the fact they are plug ugly.

Philip found this out the hard way when using Asian phone-order brides...

Philip found this out the hard way when using Asian phone-order brides...
:lol:

Seriously eddie, when you start a career, it is a useful tip for when the female voice on the other end is an attractive one, imagine a pock-faced hag and chances are the sexy voice is her only strong weapon.

Hope the interview went well lechuck.

Archived