BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Egg-chasing

A friend has invited me to come along to a rugby league match! :blink:

I`ve never been to one before, so i`ve agreed to go along & see what it`s all about.

The friend is a big St Helens fan & reckons the best match for me to attend will be the game at home to Wigan.....(apparently it`s RL`s equivallent to a Utd/Liverpool match)

I know a few people on here are into rugby league, so what can i expect from this encounter into the unknown??

:unsure:

I've never been to a match, but I've ended up in St. Helens. God it is an effing dump. Make sure you keep an eye on your car. I reckon it might be like a football match in terms of atmosphere, and Wigan/St. Helens is probably the biggest rivalry in rugby league.

A friend has invited me to come along to a rugby league match! :blink:

I`ve never been to one before, so i`ve agreed to go along & see what it`s all about.

The friend is a big St Helens fan & reckons the best match for me to attend will be the game at home to Wigan.....(apparently it`s RL`s equivallent to a Utd/Liverpool match)

I know a few people on here are into rugby league, so what can i expect from this encounter into the unknown??

:unsure:

Fat blokes rolling about hugging each other.

But I'm pretty sure you'll be able to drink beer.

cletus, you'll love it. Fast flowing skillful game played by real men who don't fall over unless they've been absolutely battered.

I've been to several Saints/Wigan games both at Wigan and away at St Helens. Great atmosphere and never usually any trouble. I've been on my own to St Helens in my Wigan shirt and mingled after the game without bother.

Should be around 15/16k on. Home fans down the side under a terrace with a low roof with the Wigan fans massed behind the sticks to the left - like a steeper version of the old Darwen End. Great acoustics.

Enjoy it and if you want to borrow my Wigan shirt just let me know! :lol:

If you're talking about the game on Friday night, its not at Saints, its at Wigan. Should be a nearly-full house, a few in recent years have been complete sell outs at JJB.

5 September Wigan play Saints away (ie at St Helens) in the last game of the season prior to playoffs/grand final etc.

I 'think' this is the game i might be going to.

League is great but the standard within England is pretty poor, they get a lot of NRL rejects or players chasing the coin when there careers are over in Oz

To me it is like comparing our A-League with the PL

I think League is soo much better than Union.

Union just seems soo slow and too stop-start-stop-start... the ref blows his whistle every 2 seconds and all the players ever seem to do is kick the ball off the field.

Spread out and in the media Saints Vs Wigan is a big rivalry, but Hull FC Vs Hull KR is huge! ...spend a day or two in the city and you'll soon notice it.

:mellow:

One game at the end of the Super League season when they are at their peak and a game that is a pretty much a trial game for NRL clubs

If you really think someone like St Helens would compete playing in the NRL you are misguided, however I am aware you are on the wind-up.

Talau, Meli, Cayless and Flannery (big signings for the Super League) were squad players in their respective teams over here.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually like watching SL and the Challenge Cup Final is one of the most prestigous games still around. The quality and speed is certainly not in the same ballpark as NRL football.

Was a bit mate. I went to the Wigan/Manly game, and the game when Wigan gave the Aussies a scare at Wigan too-I reckon that Wigan side was as good as it gets to be honest. 37,000 odd on for the Manly game, it was absolutely jammed in at Central Park. Ellery Hanley, Shaun Edwards, Joe Lydon, Steve Hampson, Andy Gregory, Henderson Gill, Andy Goodway and of course led by Graeme Lowe!

Saw a couple of NRL games a few years ago when I was in New Zealand. It looked slower from the games I saw, and not as exciting. Maybe it was just a crap game, or NRL defences are better at snuffing out creative moves. I can't remember the teams names, but in one game, one team was in a white shirt with a blue V, and the other may be in a sort of maroon or purple shirt. I know it wasn't the big Origin of Species match or whatever its called. It was 4 years ago, and I wasn't paying too much attention if I'm honest.

Archived