BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Just Reading The Board ?

Ste B

Been using the lo fi version for nearly 3 weeks while on hols. It is very good and much easier to read, especially on a mobile. Will probably stick with this when on pc.

To encourage use can i suggest things which would make it easier:

from mobile i cant set a default lo fi skin? Is there one? Could we have one?

The lo fi button appears only at bottom of front page? if you scroll past it disappears until you scroll back. Could the button be at top of page to make more obvious?

Could there be a previous / next option at bottom of each page? At present have to use "back" each time to reload and them load new page.

After nearly 3 weeks use there are points i feel would encourage / make use easier,

posting this was laborious. Hope it makes sense

Been using the lo fi version for nearly 3 weeks while on hols. It is very good and much easier to read, especially on a mobile. Will probably stick with this when on pc.

To encourage use can i suggest things which would make it easier:

from mobile i cant set a default lo fi skin? Is there one? Could we have one?

The lo fi button appears only at bottom of front page? if you scroll past it disappears until you scroll back. Could the button be at top of page to make more obvious?

Could there be a previous / next option at bottom of each page? At present have to use "back" each time to reload and them load new page.

After nearly 3 weeks use there are points i feel would encourage / make use easier,

posting this was laborious. Hope it makes sense

Some good points, Paul - I've had much the same experience. The board is unreadable on a mobile unless it is lo-fi, but currently there are a few difficulties. I especially hate having to scroll up again through 50 posts to get to the next page.

I bookmarked the forum index on lo-fi and now when I access from my mobile I can go straight into that mode rather than switching from the normal version every time. It might save you a little time/money if you can do that.

Some good points, Paul - I've had much the same experience. The board is unreadable on a mobile unless it is lo-fi, but currently there are a few difficulties. I especially hate having to scroll up again through 50 posts to get to the next page.

I bookmarked the forum index on lo-fi and now when I access from my mobile I can go straight into that mode rather than switching from the normal version every time. It might save you a little time/money if you can do that.

any one using a mobile to read any website should grab the free ware Opera Mini..! I wouldn't read any site without it. Point in case, scrolling to the top of page from bottom takes less than a second. Too easy.

I've been using to lo-fi on my mobile too. I think it is great, works well on a small screen, there are a few small changes that would make it even better. I'm thinking about

• using a standard but subtle colour to distinguish between the post and the quotes
  • just showing the poster rather than the time and date etc.
  • a bit of a look at spacing between posts
  • the board sniffs the type of device and serves the lo-fi by default for mobile/PDA etc

Just a thought

Not sure about the others, but I tend to view the forum via the WLAN function on my N95 when I just want to catch up on stuff but have no intention of posting. Never tried it in lo-fi as it seems to work OK in the normal format, but I will do so from now on.

IPB (the makers of our messageboard software) are currently developing version 3.0 which should be out around Christmas time. They are planning to have 3 different kinds of skin - one normal one, a light version which should should replace the lo-fi version but will have some functions such as posting, replying etc, and finally a skin specifically designed to run on mobiles. I think a lot of what has been mentioned above is going to be dealt with in this new release. Just gotta be patient for now :)

Oz

go to the default web access on phone and to home page

make sure options are set to remember password etc as logging in is fiddly

go to brfcs and log in on front page

scroll to bottom of page look for lo fi version and select it

save as a bookmark or favourite

I do nearly all of my forum reading on my N73. If you can access the internet on your phone thats a start, but i am yet to use a phone that has an adequate web browser to carry it out, without all the complaints you are all mentioning (except iphone). You need to get a good third party browser. I've found opera mini the best. It fixes all the problems mentioned above, different coloured quotes, removes avatars if you request. Reduces all photo's so you don't use bandwidth. Etc etc. And you can scroll up and down the forum with ease using the 2 and 8 buttons. It scrolls at a screen size each touch. So you read the screen. Press 8 read the screen. Press 8 etc etc.

Just enter www.operamini.com into your current phones browser and select download application. It's only 1mb or something.

ps. I just typed all this in on my phone while watching oz play south africa. My god benni is umm umm Fat...!

Oz

go to the default web access on phone and to home page

make sure options are set to remember password etc as logging in is fiddly

go to brfcs and log in on front page

scroll to bottom of page look for lo fi version and select it

save as a bookmark or favourite

You're not wrong. I can't seem to get it to remember my login details when I browse on the phone, no matter what I do. Anyone else have this problem on the N95?

You're not wrong. I can't seem to get it to remember my login details when I browse on the phone, no matter what I do. Anyone else have this problem on the N95?

haha nope. Once again, opera mini logs you in instantly every time.

I'm starting to repeat myself now... Better stop.

haha nope. Once again, opera mini logs you in instantly every time.

I'm starting to repeat myself now... Better stop.

Thanks for the heads up on this opera mini on the phone I added it yesterday and it is unbelievably good :tu: anybody after logging on from your mobile give it a go you wont be dissapointed :rover:

Thanks for the heads up on this opera mini on the phone I added it yesterday and it is unbelievably good :tu: anybody after logging on from your mobile give it a go you wont be dissapointed :rover:

no worries.! Changing a few settings on it helps even more. Some sites prefer it gm landscape etc. Once i had it installed i couldn't believe i bothered trying to read websites with a standard browser, hence why i kept plugging it.

• 5 weeks later...

Ive been using OM for quite a few years now, and its brilliant esp for people like myself who dont have a pc. OM works exactly the same as your desk top pc, so you wil see web pages in exactly the same way. The only thing is that, it compresses the pages to make it smaller to suit your phone. If that makes any sense, as im not good with technology hahahaha

Archived