BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket (tests, Odi's And 20/20)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crazy stuff, IMHO the only real sure bet this year in cricket is Australia beating the English.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but I'd say as things look, the wombat bashers are favourites. England's bowlers are all performing badly, and the batsmen are hit-and-miss. There is also the fact that Shah will inevitabley be dropped for the hopeless Bell, whilst Robert Key is overlooked despite being in storming form. That is a really sure bet.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but I'd say as things look, the wombat bashers are favourites. England's bowlers are all performing badly, and the batsmen are hit-and-miss. There is also the fact that Shah will inevitabley be dropped for the hopeless Bell, whilst Robert Key is overlooked despite being in storming form. That is a really sure bet.

Please stop going on about Robert Key : are you related to him or something ?

Key is not a Test batsman; he has neither the temperament nor the technique for it.

Nah, it was a wind up Billy, I thought maybe Rev or Flops but they are too clever to fall for such an obvious ploy, Jimski on the other hand...

England will play extremely well at one point or another but lack the consistency to go five tests, even on home soil. I don't think it will be 5-0 but I think an Aussie series win at 2-0 or 3-1 is my bet.

He's just a name that is always mentioned. Has a slight resemblence to my brother in law. Who would you have Jim? Or are you just going to repeat some crap about convicts?

Bell has obviously struggled at No 3 but has an excellent record at No 6, averaging more than 50. I'd give Shah a run at No 3 ; talented player but needs to settle into Test cricket and calm his nerves.

Bopara is going to be an excellent middle order batsman.

The way Johnson is bowling, he's going to leading the attack for quite a few years.

He sent Smith and Kallis to hospital. This is the second time this series that he's broken Smith's hand.

Clark might get a run, but I think Lee's days are up.

England slaughter the West Indies attack again but it looks to be another flat pitch and it would not be a surprise if West Indies pass England's huge total a second time.

Read in the papers today that Shah is so nervous at the crease that he apparently shouts at himself while he's batting ! The lad obviously needs to see a psychiatrist.

What is happening in the Windies/England test?

In the Windies innings, England have conceded 61 extras in 109 overs.

15 No Balls

10 wides

30 byes

6 Leg byes.

That would be mainly due to debutant Amjad Khan and Monty Panesar.

Khan bowled at least ten no balls and give away numerous 4s in byes and wides mainly due to the fact he's got a weird bowling action where he's looking down at the ground when he releases the ball. Along with Monty who gave a few byes away as well. Prior had little or no chance with the majority of the byes though to be fair, so you can't really go blaming the wicket-keeper too much.

We look to have found a goodun in Hughes.

We certainly have dave.

Well done to Philip Hughes... great to see the young lad settling in, with such remarkable composure. His stoke play on the first day, was truly text book material.

Looking at the current depth of the current Aus squad, is quite impressive... Only really lacking another 'blooded' wicket keeper for backup to Haddin.

Opener's - 4

Katich/Rogers

Hughes/Jaques

Middle Order - 5

Ponting/Hodge

Hussey

Clarke/North

All-rounder's -4

Watson/McDonald

Symonds/White

Wicket Keeper - 1

Haddin

Pace/Spin Bowling - 12

Johnson/Bracken

Lee/Tait

Clark/Siddle

Hauritz/Krejza

Bollinger/Hilfenhaus

Cullen/Casson

Well done to Philip Hughes...

Looking at the current depth of the current Aus squad, is quite impressive... Only really lacking another 'blooded' wicket keeper for backup to Haddin.

Said before and I will say it again, he is one of the most promising/gifted young batsmen we have had since Ponting.

We have certainly got depth as long as we give up (for the time being) on a world class allrounder or spinner.

Four pace bowlers with North and Clark turning the arm is good enough to do the job, with a class spinner adding the finishing touches later on when we find a way of cloning Warne.

My 26 contracted players

Katich/Rogers/Hughes/Jaques/Ponting/Hodge/Hussey/Clarke/North/Watson/Klinger/Harris/Haddin/Hartley

Johnson/Bracken/Lee/Dorey/Clark/Siddle/McDonald/Krejza/Bollinger/Hilfenhaus/Magoffin/Casson

I doubt we will see Lee back, Clark,S , on the other hand, if he gets over his elbow injury, will be a huge bonus. I note that he took 3/24 in grade cricket last saturday.

Having said that Clark S is getting on.

Dougie Bollinger, I feel, won't make the step up to International cricket, Bracken was desolate at not being invited to SA and will not make the test team.

Warnie spoilt us for the spinner, it will be a long long time before we see the likes of him again.

edit: One thing I didn't mention, Troy Cooly has got the aussies swinging the ball, newish and old, and he has Johnson swinging it at pace. awesome.

I doubt we will see Lee back, Clark,S , on the other hand, if he gets over his elbow injury, will be a huge bonus. I note that he took 3/24 in grade cricket last saturday.

Having said that Clark S is getting on.

Dougie Bollinger, I feel, won't make the step up to International cricket, Bracken was desolate at not being invited to SA and will not make the test team.

Warnie spoilt us for the spinner, it will be a long long time before we see the likes of him again.

edit: One thing I didn't mention, Troy Cooly has got the aussies swinging the ball, newish and old, and he has Johnson swinging it at pace. awesome.

Maybe not Dave but we are only talking about depth here, neither Bollinger or Bracken will be ahead of Lee, Clark or the current crop of, let's face it, over achievers.

No one has expected our bowling attack to turn it on like they have, but it wonderful. Imagine just 6 months ago people were crying the death of Australian cricket because of the lack of quality fast bowlers, all of a sudden Siddle, Hilfenhaus and even McDonald have got a chance of booyah!

EDIT: Cooley is a genius! Imagine the carnage on a beautiful, slightly damp, gentle breeze England pitch.

Neekoy, Cooly has Johnson, a left arm , over the wicket bowler getting a ball to swing into a right handed batsman. Remembering of course his height, he can get great bounce (ask Smith) If he can keep this up, he'll have all righthanded batsmen all over the world worried.

Said before and I will say it again, he is one of the most promising/gifted young batsmen we have had since Ponting. I don't think anyone would disagree. Its a funny thing cricket.. If Jaques was fit, I am not too sure Hughes would have been give his debut (at the moment)

We have certainly got depth as long as we give up (for the time being) on a world class allrounder or spinner.

Four pace bowlers with North and Clark turning the arm is good enough to do the job, with a class spinner adding the finishing touches later on when we find a way of cloning Warne.

My 26 contracted players

Katich/Rogers/Hughes/Jaques/Ponting/Hodge/Hussey/Clarke/North/Watson/Klinger/Harris/Haddin/Hartley

Johnson/Bracken/Lee/Dorey/Clark/Siddle/McDonald/Krejza/Bollinger/Hilfenhaus/Magoffin/Casson

Not a bad squad of players there Neekoy...

I doubt we will see Lee back, Clark,S , on the other hand, if he gets over his elbow injury, will be a huge bonus. I note that he took 3/24 in grade cricket last saturday. Maybe you're right dave, but I would be very surprised if we don't see Lee in the baggygreen again

Having said that Clark S is getting on. Clark will be back, IMV his style of bowling is a must in any team, having said that, McDonald's consistent wicket-to-wicket bowling seems to be filling that void

Dougie Bollinger, I feel, won't make the step up to International cricket, Bracken was desolate at not being invited to SA and will not make the test team. Bracken is really the only left arm back-up to Midge

Warnie spoilt us for the spinner, it will be a long long time before we see the likes of him again. Agree sadly

The fruits of Troy's expertise and wisdom seem to be working, but lets just wait and see, till after the next few tests, but Midge is performing superbly

EDIT: bad spelling

Archived