BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket (tests, Odi's And 20/20)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matthew Hayden is set to announce his retirement!

About two series too late, but still a legend.

Sad end for Australia's greatest ever opening batsman and arguably in the top 3 or 4 to have played the game. Certainly the best of the modern era.

Harsh words AUK, he deserves a little better then "gets the message", my opinion is that the selectors always wanted him to stay on so there wasn't as much disruption in the team with a number of big name players leaving.

Good onya Haydos you legend.

Sad end for Australia's greatest ever opening batsman and arguably in the top 3 or 4 to have played the game. Certainly the best of the modern era.

Harsh words AUK, he deserves a little better then "gets the message", my opinion is that the selectors always wanted him to stay on so there wasn't as much disruption in the team with a number of big name players leaving.

Good onya Haydos you legend.

You're biased Neekoy.. you're a canetoad :P

Just to note and clarify my position - He was a great batsman and I do respect his talent and long service to Australian cricket

Great batsman, but has got challengers in Smith and Sehwag for the best opening batsman of the modern era. It's a tough call though, especially with Hayden doing it for so long.

He's on the radio now.

All I want is 1:for Dave Warner to come good on a consistent basis and make the full test squad. He's only 22

2: for Shaun Tait to get back to his best. That ball in the SA 20/20 at De Villiers was unplayable, if he can do that consistently, Lee will not get back in the side.

Great batsman, but has got challengers in Smith and Sehwag for the best opening batsman of the modern era. It's a tough call though, especially with Hayden doing it for so long.

Don't really know how to answer that TGM, sure the other two in question have stats (over a shorter period) compare but Hayden's record speaks for itself, highest score in test cricket by an opener, highest score in one day cricket for an opener, averages over 50 for a test career of 14 years, 8,500+ test runs, team and individual records and remained the dominant opening batsman for over a decade in the world.

I know who I would choose in full flight out of those three.

Don't really know how to answer that TGM, sure the other two in question have stats (over a shorter period) compare but Hayden's record speaks for itself, highest score in test cricket by an opener, highest score in one day cricket for an opener, averages over 50 for a test career of 14 years, 8,500+ test runs, team and individual records and remained the dominant opening batsman for over a decade in the world.

I know who I would choose in full flight out of those three.

In full flight? Sehwag without a doubt. His strike rate is phenomenal for test cricket (nearing 80 compared to around 60 for Smith/Haydeb) and can turn a match in a session. Also Hayden's career only really kicked off after the India series of '01, and Smith was up there with him from two or three years later.

Right now the length of Hayden's achievements is the main thing in his favour but if Sehwag in particular keps a similar record in the second half of his career, he'll be the greatest opener of his era, without question. This admittedly doesn't always happen so we'll have to wait and see.

Nevertheless, he's been Australia's greatest ever opener (some feat in itself) and one of the world's finest over the years.

Nevertheless, he's been one of the world's finest over the years.

Really ? Hayden's record in England is distinctly unimpressive, averaging only 34.5 in two Test series here and scoring more than 50 only twice.

Perhaps his agricultural batting style, his feet planted and wielding the bat like a baseball player, was unsuited to English conditions where the ball swings and seams more and finds out any technical shortcomings in the less skilful players.

Like his compatriots in the HMP Australia side, Hayden was also something of a bully in the field, his constant sniping and "sledging"from slip synonymous with a swaggering team reviled by cricket fans all over the world and somewhat at odds with his apparent devout Catholic faith and publication of cookery books !!

So, reasonable player but certainly not one of the finest ambassadors to have represented the beautiful game of cricket.

I have to disagree. Hayden has been a fine servant for Australia and a quality run scorer, but his career has co-incided with a real dearth of top quality fast bowlers in world cricket. If he had played in the 80s or early 90s with that technique he would have been lucky to average 40 per innings.

• 3 weeks later...

So, back to laughing at the Aussie team, which has now "rested" Punter for the next few matches. As bad as England have been recently the problems you're having have cheered me no end.

Haddin should be deeply ashamed of his 'dismissal' of Broom from yesterday and if CA had any compunction to play by "the spirit of the game" like Punter's always blathering on about then he shoul dbe publically castigated and dropped for a game or two.

Looks like this years ashes will be the battle of the mediocre.

I guess you share the latter trait with him. However, it must be said, he was much more talented and popular especially with TMS listeners.

Frindall was not popular in the professional cricket fraternity but I bow to your superior knowledge from your great open air nick.

So, back to laughing at the Aussie team, which has now "rested" Punter for the next few matches. As bad as England have been recently the problems you're having have cheered me no end.

Haddin should be deeply ashamed of his 'dismissal' of Broom from yesterday and if CA had any compunction to play by "the spirit of the game" like Punter's always blathering on about then he shoul dbe publically castigated and dropped for a game or two.

Looks like this years ashes will be the battle of the mediocre.

At least it looks like it is going to be competitive :unsure:

Archived