BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket (tests, Odi's And 20/20)

The question has to be aked how it ever got to this stage so the ECB had to fire the coach and force the captain to resign before he too was sacked.

Morris must have known there were rumblings in the dressing room and sorted out the Moores-Pietersen problem behind closed doors before it was splashed all over the papers.

The whole shambolic episode is typical of the ECB and the way cricket in England is run : no wonder the game is in long term decline.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TGM - David "Bumble" Lloyd, one of the worst coach/managers England have had (Illingworth is the worst in my humble opinion)? But we'll listen to his opinion?

Swann was on this morning saying that the squad was quite happy with KP, so who the hell did Peter Moores' good friend Morris ask then?

Jim's last sentence is spot on.

TGM - David "Bumble" Lloyd, one of the worst coach/managers England have had (Illingworth is the worst in my humble opinion)? But we'll listen to his opinion?

Swann was on this morning saying that the squad was quite happy with KP, so who the hell did Peter Moores' good friend Morris ask then?

Jim's last sentence is spot on.

Yes actually, we will listen to his opinion, as he has actually coached England and has far, far more experience of these situations than three-test Mike Selvey. Lloyd wasn't a great coach but then English cricket as a whole was in a much worse state back then too. Like I said Selvey completely missed out some of the key points in his piece.

Swann's not exactly going to slag off KP in the national media he? And even then he's just one voice, even if he was happy with KP there's numerous other people in that squad, and both Flintoff and Harmison weren't particularly supportive of KP we know that for a fact.

The way I see it England have removed from the captaincy a man who most likely didn't have the support of the dressing room. The ECB may be many things but they are not downright liars, and you implying that Morris would make that up is ludicrous as there would be an outcry from the players if their views were misrepresented like that. Using one Swann quote in the national media to prove the dressing room was behind KP is more than a little foolish.

They've removed a man who had no prior experience of captaincy, whose captaincy looked ordinary at best, and replaced him with a man who has captained both Middlesex and England successfully before. That for me is hardly something to whinge about. There's an unhealthy cult of KP within the English game, with numerous people saying he was going to make a captain because "he was a born winner". That's just the kind of thinking that got Paul Ince the Rovers job. Captaincy is about a hell of a lot more than just that. Great player, but as Lloyd said that doesn't mean he'd make a great captain.

I always thought that Strauss would make a good captain.. I guess we will see.

I dont know how true it is, but KP wanted Warne as England coach :lol: I think we know what Warnes answer would be..

\

Will it ###### off Cricket Australia and Ricky Ponting?

Hell yeah I'll do it;)

I think we know what Warnes answer would be..

The same as Rod Marsh, Troy Cooley and Keith Bradshaw when they accepted jobs in the England/MCC set-up. Warne loves England and English cricket. It might have tickled him to have taken the job.

It seems to me there are 2 types of cricket "coaches": the manager type who organises the nets and carries the bags and looks after the player's wellbeing such as Moores, and the tactician/thinker who works out strategy on the field and coaches the individual technique of the players such as Moores' predecessor Fletcher.

If the ECB are going for the latter they should appoint Graham Ford of Kent.

Luke Ronchi included in the 20/20 squad and Haddin rested.

If Ronchi gets his foot in the door, Haddin will have one hell of a job holding him off the ODI and Test spots. IMO Ronchi is the closest to Gilchrist in style. Has a great eye and can hit a ball.

The same as Rod Marsh, Troy Cooley and Keith Bradshaw when they accepted jobs in the England/MCC set-up. Warne loves England and English cricket. It might have tickled him to have taken the job.

Warne and manager were quoted as saying 'it would take an absolute astronomical offer, to even give the idea some thought'... Yes, Warne loves England and so do I for the matter, but for him to take the England job.. very, very unlikely.

Luke Ronchi included in the 20/20 squad and Haddin rested.

If Ronchi gets his foot in the door, Haddin will have one hell of a job holding him off the ODI and Test spots. IMO Ronchi is the closest to Gilchrist in style. Has a great eye and can hit a ball.

Ronchi deserves his chance in all formats, but with the crazy selection policy in place at the moment, I think Haddin is safe for now (barring injury)... I hope Ronchi performs well. The interesting inclusion in the current ODI and 20/20 squad, is David Warner and his double sided bat (also has just been picked for the Delhi Daredevils, I believe).

Players such as Rogers, Cullen, Casson, Hodge, Bracken, Tait, White, Noffke, Krejza & Watson are all starting to become disillusioned with the current selection panel and their baffling policy.

Hilditch opening up dialogue with dropped players

IMV get rid of Hilditch, Hughes, Boon and Cox and start over.

...how long do you give a player out of form?

About as long as Hayden's been given, if not, a wee bit shorter dave.

If the selectors keep this up, more players (such as what MacGill did constantly in public), will develop a massive chip on their shoulders... But then again, how do you keep everyone happy, when we keep refusing to play in countries such as Zimbabwe and Pakistan (for whatever reason) and not play the full quota of calendar tests and other formats of the game?

Quite surprised by some of the comments made by Pieterson yesterday.

"I will get up every day and I'll smile and do whatever I can to win games of cricket for England and keep putting the smiles on the public's faces, because I know how much people love watching me bat and that's the kind of stuff that turns me on."

Many critics subsequently suggested Pietersen's ego had played a large part in his departure, but the gifted batsman defended his actions.

"People talk about my ego as if it's out of control. But if I had any kind of ego, I would have held on to the captaincy and taken all the privileges that go with it and all the perks"

Yes he is a very good batsman, but can't help but think that he really is a bit of a prized knob...

no he isn't and coming from a country with ponting and hayden thats a tad hypocritical ;-)

Good start for Warner there

Bugger off Flopsy.. :P Any chance to take a dig

Warner is a special talent.. I have mentioned him a few times over the last couple weeks when I have been watching NSW play ODD's and the domestic 20/20's. IMV he is very much like a baseball player. Its a pity he isn't using his double sided bat at the moment

Remember, the guy hasn't played a first class game yet!

EDIT: So far he is playing very well

warner's having a stonking game, although a 2020 thrash is different to even 50overs plus is he good enough to cope when people have examined his technique? Still bloody good knock, what ever happens now.

oops thats buggered it. Flash in the pan ;-)

Archived