BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Disabled Supporters Club

Ring the Club and ask FFS!

What do you expect them to do, come knocking on your door offering you a chauffeur driven limo to the event with free tickets?

;)

Alright, alright, calm down!! Ha

I was under the impression it was companies only - il give it a try mate. Anyone know what date its on?

I was under the impression it was companies only - il give it a try mate. Anyone know what date its on?

It might be, it might not be, I think it's primarily intended as a reward for Corporate sponsors etc. but if you were prepared to pay enough it might be you could get in.

Don't know what date it is, but it's usually very soon after ours.

Does anybody find it odd how the players who we love to hate as opponents soon become firm crowd favourites wherever they play? Obviously this does not apply to the likes of waggy (and prob Gav) who continually professes to hate Sav and Diouff with a an undimmed passion. Recent examples that spring to mind include Speedie, Dickov, Sav and Diouff. Every one of em hate figures but imo every one of them not only big and very inspirational players for us but also real personalities with a strong sense of humour. They also in the main seem very popular with their teammates.

Any amateur (or professional for that matter) psychologists care to comment?

Does anybody find it odd how the players who we love to hate as opponents soon become firm crowd favourites wherever they play? Obviously this does not apply to the likes of waggy (and prob Gav) who continually professes to hate Sav and Diouff with a an undimmed passion. Recent examples that spring to mind include Speedie, Dickov, Sav and Diouff. Every one of em hate figures but imo every one of them not only big and very inspirational players for us but also real personalities with a strong sense of humour. They also in the main seem very popular with their teammates.

Agreed, special word must be given to Diouf who was most accommodating despite my daughter constantly calling him Diouf rather than El Hadji.

I would just like to state that I still find Diouf to be an idiot and not a particularly gifted one.

Putting on my psychologist paper hat: The keen footy fan internalises the club to be part of the psychological self. Which is why a fan will say, on defeat, "I'm gutted" and not "I'm gutted for the team" - the fan subconsciously treats the team as part of himself. Therefore, the success of the team becomes success for the self, which gives pleasure to the self. (Failure of the team becomes failure of the self, which causes pain).

To criticise a member of the team that is bringing pleasure to the self is an obvious contradiction on two levels. You are effectively devaluing the self and the happiness that the self is enjoying. The self is often predisposed to value itself and pleasure/happiness above other things, so this is unacceptable for it. Therefore, you are likely to find it hard to seriously criticise a player that you believe is doing well for the team and thus can become biased and overlook the faults that are objectively evident.

So, to remain objective you have two means.

(a) Prevent yourself from internalising the team as part of the self. Stop treating the team as part of you. If you do this completely, you react to results as a non-Rover would, with indifference. You could be genuinely objective but also, potentially, lose interest in Rovers. Externalising the team partially enables you to still care about the team but more remotely and therefore more objectively.

(B.) Value things above self-pride. The pleasure of the self that comes from Rovers winning is self-pride pleasure, i.e status pleasure. You win a match, the team's status is boosted. You lose and your status drops.

SO instead of being infatuated with winning and losing, you have to allow yourself to care about the quality of football generally or the fairness of football generally. Therefore, to criticise your own 'best' players is not such contradiction of the self because the self does not simply care about self-pleasure but has wider concerns.

I reckon that I have finally got to the stage where both of these anti-bias scenarios apply, at least partially, to me. Therefore, I think (others may disagree) that I can be relatively objective about Rovers and football. And therefore, I am less of a hypocrite in football matters than I may have been in the past.

I would just like to state that I still find Diouf to be an idiot and not a particularly gifted one.

Putting on my psychologist paper hat: The keen footy fan internalises the club to be part of the psychological self. Which is why a fan will say, on defeat, "I'm gutted" and not "I'm gutted for the team" - the fan subconsciously treats the team as part of himself. Therefore, the success of the team becomes success for the self, which gives pleasure to the self. (Failure of the team becomes failure of the self, which causes pain).

To criticise a member of the team that is bringing pleasure to the self is an obvious contradiction on two levels. You are effectively devaluing the self and the happiness that the self is enjoying. The self is often predisposed to value itself and pleasure/happiness above other things, so this is unacceptable for it. Therefore, you are likely to find it hard to seriously criticise a player that you believe is doing well for the team and thus can become biased and overlook the faults that are objectively evident.

(a) Prevent yourself from internalising the team as part of the self. Stop treating the team as part of you. If you do this completely, you react to results as a non-Rover would, with indifference. You could be genuinely objective but also, potentially, lose interest in Rovers. Externalising the team partially enables you to still care about the team but more remotely and therefore more objectively.

(B.) Value things above self-pride. The pleasure of the self that comes from Rovers winning is self-pride pleasure, i.e status pleasure. You win a match, the team's status is boosted. You lose and your status drops.

SO instead of being infatuated with winning and losing, you have to allow yourself to care about the quality of football generally or the fairness of football generally. Therefore, to criticise your own 'best' players is not such contradiction of the self because the self does not simply care about self-pleasure but has wider concerns.

I reckon that I have finally got to the stage where both of these anti-bias scenarios apply, at least partially, to me. Therefore, I think (others may disagree) that I can be relatively objective about Rovers and football. And therefore, I am less of a hypocrite in football matters than I may have been in the past.

Are you "Mr. Logic" from Viz?

Putting on my psychologist paper hat: The keen footy fan internalises .....

La la la la la some other guff... la la la la la

:rock:

Sorry, but Thenodrog did ask for amateur Freuds and I did my best to step up in the absence of the Abster.

I reckon it makes sense - but, admittedly, I may be on my own there. :rolleyes:

Err.. yeah, glad to hear that the disabled supporters club function went well.

Didn't think I could read so much s***. What are you on about? :wacko:

Good post Rover6.

Perfectly encapsulates the dicotomy of the conceptual continuety of being a Rovers' fan.

And, like you, I'm pleased that the evening went well.

Archived