BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation

I was looking on Sky earlier reading about the 6 fingered Dingle folk and Preston making the Championship play offs and I took a look at the table and noticed that Norwich, Charlton and Southampton had all been relegated. Now being the Nerd that I am I realised and checked that all 3 of these teams have played and been relegated from the Premiership in the last 5 seasons.

It worries me that we are looking at three clubs two of which had been established Premiership teams up until their relegation from the top flight with and all with a similar sort of fanbase to ours. Although Southampton have been poorly managed behind the scenes financially and will pay for that next season now, Norwich and Charlton seem to have cut costs like any club being relegated from the Premiership should and have paid the ultimate price for it.

Rovers are a very well run club who most can argue punch above their weight but this should signal to all in the relegation mire that if you slip into the Championship and allow the club to become midtable championship fodder for a few seasons as these teams seemed to allow then you are in danger of paying the ultimate price.

And if there is a god it would be absoloutly hilarious if the massive club from the North East thought it could never happen to them and they did a Leeds. (Unfortunaly with Ashleys Wallet they wont go into administration though)

• Backroom

This post should really have gone in "relegation watch" ... and whilst I agree with what you're saying, I think everybody knows a drop into the championship is generally bad news?

I did contemplate putting it in relegation watch but its not really relegation watch. I see it as a bigger picture issue as in What could relegation mean? If the mods want to move it there so be it.

• Backroom

There are a number of threads that have discussed the scenario of relegation... general concensus seems to be that we would not come straight back up and either fall into mid-table championship obscurity or worse. Seeing as clubs like Ipswich and Forest have 20M each to spend next season, I can't see how we'd be able to compete for automatic promotion.

And if there is a god it would be absoloutly hilarious if the massive club from the North East thought it could never happen to them and they did a Leeds. (Unfortunaly with Ashleys Wallet they wont go into administration though)

:S

From what I've read, Mike Ashley's lost a bundle in the recession, and is unlikely to be bank-rolling Newcastle next year to any significant degree.

if they go down, I'd expect them to be flirting with a second successive relegation.

They're in trouble on and off the pitch, big time.

:S

From what I've read, Mike Ashley's lost a bundle in the recession, and is unlikely to be bank-rolling Newcastle next year to any significant degree.

if they go down, I'd expect them to be flirting with a second successive relegation.

They're in trouble on and off the pitch, big time.

Toon true, the skunks are in a world of pain, Ashley will be off as soon as he can, they'll do the usual, peak early and then blow it, THE NEXT LEEDS... (Fingers crossed)

I had also noticed that the 4 clubs vying to get promoted to the prem via the top two places had also been relegated in recent seasons. So it is not the inevitable death knell some seem to think.

Hmmmm

Forest, Leeds, QPR, Wimbledon, Southampton, Sheff Wed, Coventry, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Leicester and Ipswich were all premiership teams the season Rovers won the league in 94-95.

I had also noticed that the 4 clubs vying to get promoted to the prem via the top two places had also been relegated in recent seasons. So it is not the inevitable death knell some seem to think.

It all depends what state you're in when you go down.

Clubs like Brum and Wolves fair OK. Even West Brom will be alright, cos they haven't built their strategy on the assumption that relegation is an impossibilty.

To take the worst example, Leeds were mad. Even the secretary had a company car.

What is scary is that a lot of these teams who've dropped, and then dropped again are provincial clubs on a scale comparable with Blackburn. Forest, Norwich, Leicester ... it's quite worrying, these weren't badly-run clubs.

Hmmmm

Forest, Leeds, QPR, Wimbledon, Southampton, Sheff Wed, Coventry, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Leicester and Ipswich were all premiership teams the season Rovers won the league in 94-95.

or a postive way to look at it..... good leagues with plently of flux... instead of (outside the top 4 anyway) the established stagnant leagues of other countries.

I'm not going to complain that we have a modicum of competition and risk, thats what the game should be about.

----------------------------------------------------

1 League, 5 divsions, 1 TV deal, 1 Salary (per league), a modern accoutable FA, 23 men, 1 football = The Beautiful Game.

Norwich,Charlton and Southampton,all seemingly well run and stable Premiership clubs like Rovers not so long ago......a warning indeed to the Rovers money men of what lies ahead if money is not spent on this squad close season.

PLEASE WAKE UP.

Just a note, Norwich have gone down as the third best supported club in the Champioship with an average of 24,500.

Archived