BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 20p Pieces Worth £50+

_45984854_20p.jpg

Quote:

A batch of 20p coins accidentally issued with no date on them could be worth £50 each, say coin collectors.

Tens of thousands of the coins have been produced in error by the Royal Mint at Llantrisant, near Cardiff.

They are said to be the first undated British coins to enter circulation for more than 300 years.

The Royal Mint said the issue had been resolved but wanted to reassure the public that the faulty 20p coins were still legal tender.

But with experts saying the coins could be worth up to £50 each, anyone finding an undated 20p may be reluctant to put it towards a loaf of bread.

The date on the new 20p was moved from the 'tails' to the 'heads' side when the country's coins were redesigned last year.

The coins without a date were created by accidentally pairing up the new 'tails' side with the old 'heads' - meaning no date appeared at all.

Legal tender

A batch of somewhere between 50,000 and 200,000 of the coins are thought to have entered circulation.

A Royal Mint spokesperson said: "The Royal Mint can confirm that a small number of new design 20 pence coins have been incorrectly struck using the obverse from the previous design, resulting in these coins having no date.

"The issue has now been resolved and the Royal Mint would like to reassure members of the public that these coins are legal tender."

Official Link

Keep your eye on the coin :!:

Edit: Just checked ebay and they are going for over £200 bucks on there!

If there are lots in circulation, the only ones making money will be those selling now.

Collectors will have noted the numbers released.

Agree with this 200k is a lot to have been released.

I found one. I've been going to the vending machines at work and putting 20p in and then asking for a refund. It gives you a different one everytime until you've been through them all in the machine. It took 10 minutes and now I should be about £200 richer thanks to ebay. I'm going to keep doing it every few days to see if anyone has put one in. We have a lot of Eastern European workers who I don't think realise what they are worth. :)

Also - aren't the royal mint offering £50 for them back. So they are worth a guaranteed £50 whatever happens. £200 seems the going rate at the moment, I certainly wouldn't pay that though and I'm selling now because I don't think they'll be worth more than that for 15/20 years. There are just too many about.

Maybe not but if you get one and stick it on ebay - you will get at least £200 for it! Iv seen some go for close to £400.

Caveat emptor.... buyer beware

also,

fools and their money are soon parted

If you don't believe me, check the prices for "rare" or bullion, proof coins coins on ebay.

Archived