BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Obscure (former) Football Players

Try READING the topic: OBSCURE former players.....meaning those who barely played are included. Don't be pedantic (I realise that I am being pedantic too, but I'm being correct).

I reiterate my favourite being ROY WEGERLE!!!!!

Yes I know. My point is that the players I highlighted aren't exactly obscure. Perhaps try reading my post.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Steve Lomas

Some top names on a top class thread! Very funny and brings back the memories. Anyone remember Steve Lomas scoring against Rovers for Citeh and getting exceedingly excited? Prematurely so. His shorts were bulging before the net was.

Highlighted by Skinner and Baddiel, too, if I remember correctly. On which note...

Jason Lee

No singing at the back, please.

Lomas once got sent off at Ewood I am sure. In the 97-98 season when he was at West Ham, could sure he grabbed or impeded the referee in protest and got a second booking?!

Didn't Rufus Brevett play for Fulhame and scored an own goal once at Ewood and the Rovers fans started chanting "Rufus Rufus give us a wave", think his performance just went from bad to worse after that and he was subbed.

I remember it, can't remember the score though, sure we won. Was this in the 01-02 season?

Yes I know. My point is that the players I highlighted aren't exactly obscure. Perhaps try reading my post.

My apologies. Many are obscure to me. I only got into the game in 1997. I'm 18. But when I look back at the players mentioned (youtube, my dads opinions etc) they were all either rubbish (franny jeffers), had one moment of glory (aaron mokoena against sunderland) or were glorious workhouses (mark atkins)

Only skimmed the last page, but here are some names for Wikipedophiles to mull over. Apologies if they have already been mentioned:

Noel Whelan (ex-Leeds, Coventry)

Jamie Forrester (exLeeds and 13 other clubs)

Tony Thorpe (former Luton 'wonderkid')

Willelm Prunier (ex-Man Utd loanee. A Full back)

That Portuguese forward that joined West Ham, possibly from Celtic.

Florin Radichoiu (ex-West Ham forward. Romanian who starred in the 1994 World Cup)

Rafael Sheidt (ex-Celtic)

Marco Boogers

Mikkel Beck (ex-Boro)

Branco (ex-Boro)

Steve Chettle (ex-Nottingham Forest)

Andrea Silenzi (ex-Forest)

Hugo Viana (ex-Barcodes)

And here are some one-time Rovers players:

Kaba Diawara

Dario Marcolin

Adam Reed

Burton O'Brien

David May

Rafael Da Vita

Ben Burgess

Steve nicol cannot be classed an obscure football player his honours include.

div1 title 1984 1986 1988 1990

european cup 1984

fa cup 1986 1989 1992

as well as winning the football writers player of the year in 1989. Hardly the honours list of an obscure footballer.

How about Mr. Skybet himself, Dale Tempest? He was a lower league footballer who moved to Hong Kong and scored shedloads of goals in the league there. However, he couldn't put one past my dad in the Hallelujah Cup. Nor could John Spencer the former Chelsea striker. Now Dale Tempest is a whole new level of obscure, just like those Thai blokes who went to Man City.

Gilles Grimandi

Kenny Cunningham

Alan Kimble

Mike Hooper

Sir Pavel of Srnicek (his return to the Barcodes in the 2006/07 season probably brought a nostalgic tear to the eyes of all honest football fanatics all over the world)

Peter Atherton

Francesco Baiano

Lee Makel (currently plying his trade in Swedish third division outfit Östersunds FK, former Rovers icon)

Terry "Godfather of Acid Jazz" Phelan

Frode Kippe (0 appearances for Liverpool from 1998 to 2002, spent most of his spell on loan at Stoke. Norwegian centre half who's actually pretty decent)

Ragnvald Soma (Norwegian West Ham legend. Rated as one of the worst Hammers purchases ever)

"Super" Hannu Tihinen (Another West Ham icon)

Never forget!

I seem to remember he had quite a stunning moustache.

But not as stunning as Shaun Teale's, I'm sure.

My apologies. Many are obscure to me. I only got into the game in 1997. I'm 18. But when I look back at the players mentioned (youtube, my dads opinions etc) they were all either rubbish (franny jeffers), had one moment of glory (aaron mokoena against sunderland) or were glorious workhouses (mark atkins)

Don't even try bringing Atkins into this. Arguably my favourite Rovers player ever. :)

Andy Pearce (Sheffield Wednesday)

William Blondeau (Sheffield Wednesday)

Andy Preece (Crystal Palace)

Archived