BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Obscure (former) Football Players

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to be loads from FM/CM, who were touted to be brilliant. Can't think of any at the moment, although there has to be a hatful.

Trying to name some more obscure players

Titi Camara

Billy Mckinlay :D

I remember when we signed Sebastian Perez I had signed him on a version of CM for Rovers quite a few times, I was well excited about it. There were players that where reletively unknown at the time especially the French ones (Henry at Monaco, Pires etc) that had signed for good clubs which made it really exciting. I did feel really sorry for my Everton supporting mate who went on about Bakayoko signing being class, then turning out for him being anything but.

Back on topic:

Karl Rennie-QPR

Carl Shutt - Leeds

Klinsmann was some signing for Spurs when Alan Sugar wasn't firering everyone.

He scored a brilliant header off the underside of the bar on his debut at Hillsbrough in I think a 4-3 win. The celebration that followed has been acted out by millions since at all levels, mainly in local parks and back gardens by fans of the game and still goes o today. Legendary!

Unfortunately when he returned for his 2nd spell, he was well past his best.

Wasn't his name Ready?

He had a nightmare at Ewood in the 94-95 game, got the run around by Shearer and gave away a penalty. Sure we whacked them by 3 or 4.

Klinsmann was some signing for Spurs when Alan Sugar wasn't firering everyone.

He scored a brilliant header off the underside of the bar on his debut at Hillsbrough in I think a 4-3 win. The celebration that followed has been acted out by millions since at all levels, mainly in local parks and back gardens by fans of the game and still goes o today. Legendary!

Unfortunately when he returned for his 2nd spell, he was well past his best.

Found the goal, amazing hang time in the air!

debut goal

Was chatting with an Everton fan on Sunday and told him that I have a soft spot for the club because of the Americans they've had over the years, mentioning some of the names.

He then proceeded to give me a 10 minute lecture on how Joe Max Moore was one of the most naturally gifted players he's ever watched.

Back in the day when I would scroll the internet avidly for any scrap of Rovers news (will all go through it, don't we..?) I came across a site that listed Lee Hendrie as a Rovers player. Boy did I get excited.

Hendrie was, at one point, a very exciting player - actually, he was quite good and because he was English and young, it was necessary to describe him as exciting.

It all fell away sadly, for the ugly Robbie Williams. (Uglier, it should read but then doesn't quite make sense).

The Kevin Davies signing had me excited too. It was a bolt out of the blue - the signing and the fee - but there was something so exciting (that word again) for a delusional young lad who was convinced that football was some kind of supernatural plane of genius and that footballers were Gods. I remembered that Davies had interested Wenger and, despite not scoring many goals, had made a good impression in the Premier League. I was sure that he could be Nathan Blake with more goals.

He then proceeded to give me a 10 minute lecture on how Joe Max Moore was one of the most naturally gifted players he's ever watched.

Joe Max Moore and Brian McBride - did the US proud, imo. McBride, especially.

That's a beautiful team, El Tombro, but how about playing with just Ian Marshall up front in order to fit Ken Monkou or Francis Benali into the team?

The mere mention of Earl Barrett makes me crack up, by the way. Don't really know why. I find it insanely funny that I looked up to these men as if they were Gods back in the mid 90s, when I was but a wee kid!

That's a beautiful team, El Tombro, but how about playing with just Ian Marshall up front in order to fit Ken Monkou or Francis Benali into the team?

The mere mention of Earl Barrett makes me crack up, by the way. Don't really know why. I find it insanely funny that I looked up to these men as if they were Gods back in the mid 90s, when I was but a wee kid!

I'm now a big kid and still look up to these men.

I must admit though, I am fairly disappointed that El Tombro couldn't find a place in his XI for Orlando Trustful.

Haha, what a legend. I'm tempted to make an allstar "BeNeLux Premier League Legends All Star XI" (that should probably be "BeNe") to honour Orlando Trustfull's name and memory.

..... which I did:

GK: Sieb Dijkstra (QPR)

DR: Regis Genaux (Coventry)

DC: Ulrich van Gobbel (Southampton)

DC: Philippe Albert (Newcastle)

DL: Ken Monkou (he had to be in the team, so makeshift left back it is) (Southampton)

MR: Regi Blinker (Sheffield Wednesday)

MC: Orlando Trustfull (Sheffield Wednesday)

ML: Glenn Helder (Arsenal)

FC: Gilles de Bilde (Sheffield Wednesday)

FC: Marco Boogers (West Ham)

FC: Fabian De Freitas (Bolton)

Bench: Hans Segers (Wimbledon), Robin van der Laan (Derby), Wim Jonk (Wednesday), Marc Degryse (Wednesday), Richard Sneekes (Derby), Orpheo Keizerweerd (Oldham), Luc Nijholt (Swindon)

CM: Chris Bart-Williams

A name to send shivers down many Blackburn fans. <_<

BTW: You'd be advised not to say the words Chris Marsden to a Southampton fan, unless you want to be detained by a lengthy eulogy/elegy.

Archived