BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Golfing

hi,

im starting to get into golf, go to the local driving range, but i darent go on the course, as im sure i would hold everyone up! i was just wondering if anyone could advise me what golf clubs i should be buying! i would ideally want ones that come in one set! (but they could be shi*, i dont know),

thanks

hi,

im starting to get into golf, go to the local driving range, but i darent go on the course, as im sure i would hold everyone up! i was just wondering if anyone could advise me what golf clubs i should be buying! i would ideally want ones that come in one set! (but they could be shi*, i dont know),

thanks

Marsden Park Municipal at Nelson is a very good course, although you get a few dingles on there.

You get a lot of beginners on the course and whilst some of the holes are testing others are quite easy to get your confidence up. If you go, beware of cardiac hill!

I'd advise you to book for an early tee time on a Sunday morning, also if two or three of you are going book for a four ball, it'll coast you a couple of quid extra but it will also give you extra time before the next lot tee off.

You could also give Highfields at Higher Wheelton a go, that is a great little 9 holer. People seem to be more understanding with beginners on there.

How much are you looking at paying for clubs? Your as well looking for some second hand clubs until you get into the game more, I bought a set of clubs, bag, cart etc when I was starting out for close to £700 and they were never right for me. Don't buy blades!

hi,

thanks

I was in the same boat as you three years ago- wanting to get started, but not knowing what to do or where to go. First of all, I picked up a second hand set of clubs off a work colleague for £40- there's no point paying £300 upwards a) if you're only a beginner or B) only play once a month or less. I suppose e-bay would be the place these days for a second hand set.

The nesxt thing I did was to book a series of golf lessons at Shadsworth driving range in Blackburn, on the right hand side coming into Blackburn from the Infirmary. At the time, six lessons cost me £70, but the chap there will teach you how to grip the club, swing etc etc. Once, you've learnt the basics, then I'd get on the driving range at least once a week to master what you've been taught and then get on a few municipal courses. Again, membership at a gold club would be pretty expensive, so you're probably better off sicking to the public courses. I live in Halifax now, so I'm not au fait with which courses there are around Blackburn.

Hope this helps

I was in the same boat as you three years ago- wanting to get started, but not knowing what to do or where to go. First of all, I picked up a second hand set of clubs off a work colleague for £40- there's no point paying £300 upwards a) if you're only a beginner or B) only play once a month or less. I suppose e-bay would be the place these days for a second hand set.

The nesxt thing I did was to book a series of golf lessons at Shadsworth driving range in Blackburn, on the right hand side coming into Blackburn from the Infirmary. At the time, six lessons cost me £70, but the chap there will teach you how to grip the club, swing etc etc. Once, you've learnt the basics, then I'd get on the driving range at least once a week to master what you've been taught and then get on a few municipal courses. Again, membership at a gold club would be pretty expensive, so you're probably better off sicking to the public courses. I live in Halifax now, so I'm not au fait with which courses there are around Blackburn.

Hope this helps

Good advice. Golf improves by practising far quicker than by actually playing.

Go to the pro at a local golf course (Revidge, Darwen, Clitheroe etc.) He will advise you on clubs and will probably have several second hand sets to choose from (make sure the irons are cavity backed). Then book a few lessons with him.

Driving ranges are OK but hitting shots off a mat is nothing like hitting them off the grass at a golf club and the fixed height rubber tees are nothing like teeing up on a proper T peg. When you have had a few lessons the pro will probably take you onto the course and play a couple of holes with you. I would definitely recommend a club pro rather than a driving range.

When you decide to go out onto the course on your own try Townley Park Municiple. It's a very nice course but you are not expected to be Tiger Woods and the dress code is more relaxed than at a private club. I know it's in Burnley but you don't think about football when you are on the golf course. You are in a different world and all that matters is the next shot.

Incidentally the Townley Park pro has a good selection of clubs and a good reputation as a teacher.

Get on with it you will enjoy it if you start off right.

Municipal courses are the way forward for beginners, but try and get there during the week when it is quiet, you feel under less pressure then.

I was lucky enough to pick up 2 quite new sets of clubs for free and merged them into 1 pretty good set. But Ideally you want a driver, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, PW, SW, Putter. Although it depends on your confidence with the clubs. Maybe rent some.

Municipal courses are the way forward for beginners, but try and get there during the week when it is quiet, you feel under less pressure then.

I was lucky enough to pick up 2 quite new sets of clubs for free and merged them into 1 pretty good set. But Ideally you want a driver, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, PW, SW, Putter. Although it depends on your confidence with the clubs. Maybe rent some.

For Christ's sake Modes don't start him off with a one iron. It's almost impossible to hit a one iron and I wouldn't recommend a driver either. Much easier to start with a three wood and maybe a five wood for the fairway, but Dixon, please listen to the pro. He'll have a look at your swing and recommend the best clubs for you.

For Christ's sake Modes don't start him off with a one iron. It's almost impossible to hit a one iron and I wouldn't recommend a driver either. Much easier to start with a three wood and maybe a five wood for the fairway, but Dixon, please listen to the pro. He'll have a look at your swing and recommend the best clubs for you.

I made the fatal mistake of playing for 2 years then having lessons. It put me back to square 1. Get the lessons in early.

There is nothing like playing a course rather than a driving range though, Higher Wheelton early Sunday morning is great. No pressure. 9 good holes that are not too testing.

Just started out myself.

You can pick up a decent (for a beginner) set of golf clubs for around 80 quid now - they're not as expensive as they used to be. I even got a free glove and brolley B)

My advice is don't go on a course until you've mastered the driving range then you won't need to worry about holding up players behind you. Also if your nervous and conscious you're being watched your game WILL suffer.

First, GET SOME LESSONS EARLY DOORS, you won't regret it.

Then, just stick to the driving range until your confident you can hit the ball every time (it's harder than it sounds at first) and you can at least hit it in the right direction. If you can't do this in good conditions off a flat surface then there's no point playing anywhere else until you can.

Final obvious point - Sports are about practice, practice, practice - none more so than golf so you need to be patient. Golf is a test of patience and dedication as much as anything else. Bear in mind most people will pack it in after a few months if they don't enjoy it.

Good luck.

Just started out myself.

You can pick up a decent (for a beginner) set of golf clubs for around 80 quid now - they're not as expensive as they used to be. I even got a free glove and brolley B)

My advice is don't go on a course until you've mastered the driving range then you won't need to worry about holding up players behind you. Also if your nervous and conscious you're being watched your game WILL suffer.

First, GET SOME LESSONS EARLY DOORS, you won't regret it.

Then, just stick to the driving range until your confident you can hit the ball every time (it's harder than it sounds at first) and you can at least hit it in the right direction. If you can't do this in good conditions off a flat surface then there's no point playing anywhere else until you can.

Final obvious point - Sports are about practice, practice, practice - none more so than golf so you need to be patient. Golf is a test of patience and dedication as much as anything else. Bear in mind most people will pack it in after a few months if they don't enjoy it.

Good luck.

I've played this game since my 20's and totally disagree with the above. The driving range is not the place to learn because the mats are a completely false surface. Go to a golf club pro and learn to play on grass. Municipal golf courses are the place for beginners. Most people are in the same boat there but if you have a mate who plays get him to go round with you. They will know the etiquette. One thing I do agree with is to get some lessons early on before you develop faults that become ingrained.

thans for all your advice! i bought a set of clubs for £130. i live in garstang, where is a golf club and they do have lessons, £35 an hour! so as it happens quite and expensive sport!

Inglewhite's very near you then. Dunno how old you are dixon but U18's are £7 for 9 holes and £12 for 18 I think with adults £10 and £17. Alternatively there are plenty of 2 for one deals at lots of courses in the area. You cab Google them or get tickets from American golf in Preston I think.

thans for all your advice! i bought a set of clubs for £130. i live in garstang, where is a golf club and they do have lessons, £35 an hour! so as it happens quite and expensive sport!

An hour is quite a long time for a golf lesson. I would have thought that half hour sessions would be long enough but anyway a bit of money spent now will stand you in good stead for a long time. Then a few rounds on one of the cheap courses suggested above would be good for a start in fact that is the way a lot of people play permanently. When you can break 100 is soon enough to join a private club. They are not all that expensive. I pay £450 a year at Baxenden.

One further tip if I may. Buy some cheap lake balls for a start because in the early days you are going to lose a lot of balls and it can get expensive.

Have a great time. Golf is a game you can play well into retirement and you will get a lot of enjoyment all your life.

the lessons are £35 an hour or £20 for half an hour! but it looks good because at garstang golf club they have an extra hole for practising, which is obviously on proper grass not astro. yeh it is a life sport, my grandad still plays at accrington golf club once or twice a week and he is 83!

the lessons are £35 an hour or £20 for half an hour! but it looks good because at garstang golf club they have an extra hole for practising, which is obviously on proper grass not astro. yeh it is a life sport, my grandad still plays at accrington golf club once or twice a week and he is 83!

Get yourself out on a real course, there's nothing like it. Then you decide whether to stick to the lessons or mix it up. Golf is about getting out with good friends and enjoying yourself, you decide how to go about it. I'm sure the pro who you have lessons with will tell you to come back for more lessons, but he will also recommend that you get out on a course and get a feel of the game.

Good luck.

Get yourself out on a real course, there's nothing like it. Then you decide whether to stick to the lessons or mix it up. Golf is about getting out with good friends and enjoying yourself, you decide how to go about it. I'm sure the pro who you have lessons with will tell you to come back for more lessons, but he will also recommend that you get out on a course and get a feel of the game.

Good luck.

If you do do that then go with an experienced golfer. It's very necessary to know and understand the basic rules of golf and course etiquette.

Archived