BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cd-rw And Cd-r

Just get CD-Rs to be on the safe side, they'll definitely work. I can't recall trying to make an audio CD from a CD-RW - it might work, it might not. They're more expensive anyway.

Just did a quick Google and it's as I expected, some new stereos can play CD-RWs (especially newer ones) but a lot can't.

I wouldn't bother with CDRW for music, not sure they will work anyway - CDR's are ten a penny nowadays so if you make a mistake just throw it away! The only benefit I can see for a CDRW is if you want to store files which you may want to add to/delete later - even then I'd probably buy a memory stick it's quicker.

CDR's also vary in quality and some don't work on all audio players even though they say they will. Many people have different opinions on which is the best, but I usually go for either TDK or Sony - never had any problems with them.

If you want to be an anorak:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/195-CD-R-m...find-the-best-/

Don't know if your new to it but obviously you need to software that will make a CD for you to play on a cd player (i.e. You don't just copy your files). The latest windows media player does it but I prefer to use Nero.- sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs there though.

Hope this helps.

Just get CD-Rs to be on the safe side, they'll definitely work. I can't recall trying to make an audio CD from a CD-RW - it might work, it might not. They're more expensive anyway.

Just did a quick Google and it's as I expected, some new stereos can play CD-RWs (especially newer ones) but a lot can't.

They do indeed work, CD-RW that is, but unless you wish to erase and then write on the CD again, buying CD-RW is pointless. After a few rewrites they begin to skip anyway and loose data on some sectors. With the cheapness of your plain CD-R's nowadays I can not honestly see why they still sell them.

Same goes for the DVD's.

They do indeed work, CD-RW that is, but unless you wish to erase and then write on the CD again, buying CD-RW is pointless. After a few rewrites they begin to skip anyway and loose data on some sectors. With the cheapness of your plain CD-R's nowadays I can not honestly see why they still sell them.

Same goes for the DVD's.

What you doing on here, you slime-guzzling slut?

OK, thanks everyone, CD-R it is then.

:-)

CD-R is the best for burning CD, CD-RW is better for data discs for when backing up your pc ext ext. many programs burn duscs these days, i use itunes myself even if it is a little slower than others, nero is great for newbies as it takes you through step by step.

dont burn cd's anymore myself, prefer to dock my ipod

Ooh, I think I know this one! Prepare for massive geekery.

When disc manufacturers state the raw capacity of a disc, they use kilobytes (1000 bytes) megabytes (1000 x 1000) gigabytes (1000 x 1000 x 1000) etc. Which is technically correct.

Computers don't work with base 10 numbers though, so a PC sees a kilobyte as being 1024 bytes, and when you scale that up to a gigabyte (1024 x 1024 x 1024) you can see how you lose a substantial chunk of the disc's capacity.

To clear up the confusion some companies separate the two terms, so the smaller 'true' GB is still called a gigabyte while the larger 'computer' GB is a gibibyte. Mac OS does this now.

The filesystem the computer puts on the disc when it's formatted also accounts for some of the reduction in reported capacity.

Bryan, its time to upgrade your stereo system to accomodate usb. I have a dvd recorder, with usb. Just get you a usb stick, and pop it in there. You can get up to 32GB usb sticks. The cd-r is audio based cd's, meaning that it runs only 80 mins of audio, or 700mb of data. This would not accomodate large files, like dvds where you will need dvd disc, with say 4.7GB disc space. Cd-rw is a disc where you can add, delete, and add again. It saves money, but not all audio equipment can read those kind of discs. However, you will find that all new audio and dvd systems are able to read cd and dvd-rw discs.

• 6 months later...

OK, I have another question ...

I'd like to burn some MP3's or similar to create an audio CD.

Do people have any recommendations for burning software? Particulrly software that equalises the recording levels, so you don't have to keep turning the volume up nd down between songs.

Thanks.

Do people have any recommendations for burning software? Particulrly software that equalises the recording levels, so you don't have to keep turning the volume up nd down between songs.

Thanks.

I just use Windows Media player for doing this now and it works fine. You just drag and drop the tunes you want on the cd into media player and click burn :tu:

Thanks Cocker.

This is what I was looking for:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

should come in well handy, it looks good. I'll then burn with CD-DA (I wouldn't use anything by Windows, bag of you-know-what).

Cheers again.

I know what your saying but honestly just give media player a chance. If all your looking for is to burn an mp3 cd then it will do the job quite easily.

Thanks.

Nero

• 2 months later...

Archived