BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Togo

Banned from the next two competitions.

Time to step upto the plate, sign the petition.

Sign here

It's such a callous decision that it's almost humerous.

What it is is a timely reminder of how cheap life is in Africa for all those thinking of going to the World Cup. If you are white tread carefully and keep your wits about you, if you are black then stay away would be my advice.

Beggars belief? What the hell are CAF thinking of?

Thenodrog - life is cheap in some parts of the continent but Afirca is a massive, populous and diverse place. I doubt you would be too fond of people being told to not visit the UK because of the high murder rate in Moscow. Exercise some common sense and a bit of geographical knowledge.

It's such a callous decision that it's almost humerous.

What it is is a timely reminder of how cheap life is in Africa for all those thinking of going to the World Cup. If you are white tread carefully and keep your wits about you, if you are black then stay away would be my advice.

couldnt agree more.

disgusted by such a decision. AND this is the region, from which, the dear mr blatter gets most of his support/votes.

blatter sold out, gave away the wc to SA, so he could strenghten his position as president.

i cant remember exact crime statistics in SA, but they were through the roof, compared to what im used to. Being "semi-white" myself, i wouldnt feel safe there.

blatter sold out, gave away the wc to SA, so he could strenghten his position as president.

Whilst this federation are clearly ran by insensitive idiots, I wouldn't call SA getting the WC selling out. It is proper and fair that Africa finally got a World Cup, and SA have to be the best candidates on the continent for that (except perhaps Nigeria?)

You can use crime statistics however you want. What I will say though is I don't recall many cricket fans being murdered in the recent SA series.

I'm surprised at you Greco, I didn't think you went in for tabloid sensationalism.

The crime rate is very high (2nd in the world I believe), but it is much, much lower in the tourist areas. People will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Whilst this federation are clearly ran by insensitive idiots, I wouldn't call SA getting the WC selling out. It is proper and fair that Africa finally got a World Cup, and SA have to be the best candidates on the continent for that (except perhaps Nigeria?)

He certainly sold out and has done so the entire time. Blatter gets his votes from africa and concacaf, regions who have numerous countries and are quite poor. SA is not even remotely close, to being the best suited candidate.

you should read the book about fifa, by that british author, is it andrew jennings his name is. Then youll get a clearer picture.

Im all for the WC being held around the globe, but first and foremost, you have to evaluate which place provides the best "offer". If the countries i close in standards, then hey im all for it, but giving it away, just because of... yeah because of what.. perhaps geographical location, is insane.

IF my memory serves me correct, nigeria would be even worse the SA, as there is a struggle between muslims and the government. I MIGHT be getting countries mixed up.

You can't compare criket crowds and football crowds thats just daft, the scales of people there will be so different. Also the mentality of football and cricket crowds differ massively,

On the crime part a good reason for it is in the touristy bits they fence out the 'poor' people, how many of these will slip throught the net when 100k+ people come into the country?

On the Togo topic its disgusting, but thats african football for you.

He certainly sold out and has done so the entire time. Blatter gets his votes from africa and concacaf, regions who have numerous countries and are quite poor. SA is not even remotely close, to being the best suited candidate.

you should read the book about fifa, by that british author, is it andrew jennings his name is. Then youll get a clearer picture.

Im all for the WC being held around the globe, but first and foremost, you have to evaluate which place provides the best "offer". If the countries i close in standards, then hey im all for it, but giving it away, just because of... yeah because of what.. perhaps geographical location, is insane.

IF my memory serves me correct, nigeria would be even worse the SA, as there is a struggle between muslims and the government. I MIGHT be getting countries mixed up.

I agree Nigeria would not be a sensible option. SA however has held a series of major sporting events without much problem.

I do not think there is really going to be an issue. If FIFA went for the ultra safe option each time the tournament would never get out of the first world and that would be a shame. As it stands you would have to go back to Mexico 86 for the last time the WC had not been held in the rich world.

Hold on guys, wasn't it the Togo FA who didn't follow the correct travel arrangements which were advised by the authorities? Therefore putting their players and staff at risk.

Whilst the human cost is bad enough, an example needs to be set for having no regard for the set travel arragnements in a country which could hardly be described as stable.

Just a thought mind.

I agree Nigeria would not be a sensible option. SA however has held a series of major sporting events without much problem.

I do not think there is really going to be an issue. If FIFA went for the ultra safe option each time the tournament would never get out of the first world and that would be a shame. As it stands you would have to go back to Mexico 86 for the last time the WC had not been held in the rich world.

im certainly anticipating alot of problems. Especially when it comes to robberies/hold ups.

have a look at the townships in SA, how do you think they will react, when their country is being invaded, by their standards, very rich tourists. The first thought must be ££££ or $$$$

Hell had i been south african and forced to live in a township, you bet your ass, i would use this event,to get me some cash.

Edit: sorry to get the thread sidetracked ;-)

im certainly anticipating alot of problems. Especially when it comes to robberies/hold ups.

have a look at the townships in SA, how do you think they will react, when their country is being invaded, by their standards, very rich tourists. The first thought must be ££££ or $$$$

Hell had i been south african and forced to live in a township, you bet your ass, i would use this event,to get me some cash.

When was the last time you went to South Africa?

When was the last time you went to South Africa?

relevance..?

You can use crime statistics however you want. What I will say though is I don't recall many cricket fans being murdered in the recent SA series.

I'm surprised at you Greco, I didn't think you went in for tabloid sensationalism.

The crime rate is very high (2nd in the world I believe), but it is much, much lower in the tourist areas. People will wonder what all the fuss was about.

well buckyboy, my info didnt come from the tabloids, but from news programmes with a bit more credibility. believe it or not, but the danish press are far from the british, when it comes to being tabloid-esque.

My gf is South African and her parents lived there for a long time and the pretty much agreed with what he said.

that he, would that be me :D

have a look at the townships in SA, how do you think they will react, when their country is being invaded, by their standards, very rich tourists. The first thought must be ££££ or $$

Well we will wait and see. However I am a bit puzzled why you think there will be trouble now when SA has held the Rugby World Cup, the Cricket World Cup and last years Confederations Cup without any significant issue.

It is a large event, but investment has been massive and SA are under absolutely no illusions that there will be severe attention paid to security and crime.

I anticipate it will go off without a hitch.

Well we will wait and see. However I am a bit puzzled why you think there will be trouble now when SA has held the Rugby World Cup, the Cricket World Cup and last years Confederations Cup without any significant issue.

It is a large event, but investment has been massive and SA are under absolutely no illusions that there will be severe attention paid to security and crime.

I anticipate it will go off without a hitch.

indeed.

Archived