BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy 10/11

After 14 weeks off (School Holiday's these days :o ) the youth team get back to action this weekend.

After starting off the season extremely promising the league form fell away after Christmas with FA Youth Cup taking priority and the U16's starting to make a step up. The lads ended up finishing 7th in their group on the same number of points as Manchester City and also lets not forget the magnificent run to the FA Youth Cup Semi Finals against Chelsea with wins against Everton and Man Utd included on the run. That team included Phil Jones for some games as well as Grant Hanley so others will be looking to make the same step up this season.

The squad could be very similar again this year with many players still eligible to play but I expect many to play more for the Reserves this season with last season's U16's making the step up. On the Official Site there are 12 players who played for the U16's last season included in the squad, all of whom played in at least 1 match for the U18's last year, this not including Robbie Cotton who has come to the fore this Pre-Season for the reserves.

The squad for this season:

Goalkeepers:

Matt Urwin

Chris Dillow (U16 I think but played against Rangers in pre-season which I saw)

Defenders:

Dami Ajagbe (FB)

Alex Billington (LB)

Ryan Edwards (CB)

Raheem Hanley (RB)

Adam Henley (LB)

Will James (CB)

Cameron Lindsay (Almost anywhere to be honest including Midfield)

Anthony O'Connor (CB)

Andy Parry (CB/DM)

Matthew Pearson (CB)

Peter Wylie (RB/CB)

Midfielders:

Jason Banton (Winger/CF)

Jordan Bowen (CM, not been seen in a while though, may have left was at Derby on trial)

Micah Evans (Winger)

Jadan Hall (Winger)

Reece Hands (CM)

James Knowles (CM)

Tom Murray (CM)

Filip Pivkovski (Winger)

John Todd (Formerly John O'Sullivan- Winger/CM possibly also)

Strikers:

Tom Hitchcock (CF)

Jamie Maclaren (CF/Winger)

Osayamen Osawe (CF/Winger)

Besnik Rustemaj (CF)

Toni Vastic (CF/Winger)

The kids kick off the season away at Charlton this Saturday before playing Aston Villa at home the weekend after in what should be a good game with two teams with good Academies. The last game of the season is currently scheduled to be on the 30 April but with the likely re-arranged games for different reasons this could change.

So if you want to see the Next Generation of Kids coming through in a lovely setting down at Brockhall, in the rain and with at times horrendous officials then get up on Saturday mornings for 11 O'clock kick offs (I'm not selling this well am I?? :lol: )

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 14 weeks off (School Holiday's these days :o ) the youth team get back to action this weekend.

After starting off the season extremely promising the league form fell away after Christmas with FA Youth Cup taking priority and the U16's starting to make a step up. The lads ended up finishing 7th in their group on the same number of points as Manchester City and also lets not forget the magnificent run to the FA Youth Cup Semi Finals against Chelsea with wins against Everton and Man Utd included on the run. That team included Phil Jones for some games as well as Grant Hanley so others will be looking to make the same step up this season.

The squad could be very similar again this year with many players still eligible to play but I expect many to play more for the Reserves this season with last season's U16's making the step up. On the Official Site there are 12 players who played for the U16's last season included in the squad, all of whom played in at least 1 match for the U18's last year, this not including Robbie Cotton who has come to the fore this Pre-Season for the reserves.

The squad for this season:

Goalkeepers:

Matt Urwin

Chris Dillow (U16 I think but played against Rangers in pre-season which I saw)

Defenders:

Dami Ajagbe (FB)

Alex Billington (LB)

Ryan Edwards (CB)

Raheem Hanley (RB)

Adam Henley (LB)

Will James (CB)

Cameron Lindsay (Almost anywhere to be honest including Midfield)

Anthony O'Connor (CB)

Andy Parry (CB/DM)

Matthew Pearson (CB)

Peter Wylie (RB/CB)

Midfielders:

Jason Banton (Winger/CF)

Jordan Bowen (CM, not been seen in a while though, may have left was at Derby on trial)

Micah Evans (Winger)

Jadan Hall (Winger)

Reece Hands (CM)

James Knowles (CM)

Tom Murray (CM)

Filip Pivkovski (Winger)

John Todd (Formerly John O'Sullivan- Winger/CM possibly also)

Strikers:

Tom Hitchcock (CF)

Jamie Maclaren (CF/Winger)

Osayamen Osawe (CF/Winger)

Besnik Rustemaj (CF)

Toni Vastic (CF/Winger)

The kids kick off the season away at Charlton this Saturday before playing Aston Villa at home the weekend after in what should be a good game with two teams with good Academies. The last game of the season is currently scheduled to be on the 30 April but with the likely re-arranged games for different reasons this could change.

So if you want to see the Next Generation of Kids coming through in a lovely setting down at Brockhall, in the rain and with at times horrendous officials then get up on Saturday mornings for 11 O'clock kick offs (I'm not selling this well am I?? :lol: )

Where is Hugo Fernandez? He was born 1993 and should play for Academy.

Where is Hugo Fernandez? He was born 1993 and should play for Academy.

Oh yeah meant to put him in but forgot. Think he will be with the U16's this year as he's not on the site. Saw him at the Rangers game and he played in CM of a 5 man midfield. Looked like a typical Spanish player, happy to be on the ball, could also throw in a good tackle but he was hustled off the ball quite easy at times, if he bulks up a bit he could be decent, wait and see I guess for this season.

Oh yeah meant to put him in but forgot. Think he will be with the U16's this year as he's not on the site. Saw him at the Rangers game and he played in CM of a 5 man midfield. Looked like a typical Spanish player, happy to be on the ball, could also throw in a good tackle but he was hustled off the ball quite easy at times, if he bulks up a bit he could be decent, wait and see I guess for this season.

Thanks. I have a feeling he will be good. We do have an eye on central defender talent at Rovers.

Impressive find RVR, think it says a bit that he's joined a Finnish club. Sad as he had a good reputation at one point.

Not much pressure on the reports then ;)

Hollowsr,

last season it was a pleasure to read your reports on academy matches. The Academy is our very own mini production line and is a MAJOR part of the future of the club no matter who pays the bills. Looking forward to your reports this year as well - no pressure at all!! :D

Hollowsr,

last season it was a pleasure to read your reports on academy matches. The Academy is our very own mini production line and is a MAJOR part of the future of the club no matter who pays the bills. Looking forward to your reports this year as well - no pressure at all!! :D

What Italian really means is make sure those reprts are up to scratch :lol:

Sure they will be and rthanks for the input.

Which hopefully will be better than my spelling!!

I'm glad H Fernandes is mentioned in this thread. Sky Sports News list him as the second incoming player to us along with M Diouf.

It's a bit naughty of them, seeing he's only a youth teamer hoping to develop.

I'm glad H Fernandes is mentioned in this thread. Sky Sports News list him as the second incoming player to us along with M Diouf.

It's a bit naughty of them, seeing he's only a youth teamer hoping to develop.

They're clutching at straws.

In the ever changing weather Rovers youngsters fell to their first defeat of the season at home to Aston Villa.

Both teams started off lively but it was Villa who were first to get off the mark on 20minutes, a ball down the left, one that Villa looked for all afternoon, found their left winger after easily skipping past the challenge of Knowles the left winger pulled the ball across with what looked like a poor ball, however Ryan Edwards made a complete hash of the clearance, basically air kicking it, it fell to their forward who took his time to slot past Matt Urwin.

Villa continued to push forward and looked good value for their lead, fortunately Rovers looked better the more the first half went on going close with a couple of opportunities going just wide and some good crosses coming in. Villa were probably quite pleased to hear the half time whistle at that stage.

Quickly into the second half and Villa had doubled their lead, after a Rovers attack broke down Villa broke forward, a shot from the edge of the area took a deflection off the legs of a Rovers defender, bouncing on the floor and over the outstretched Matt Urwin. Again Villa continued to push after the goal looking to put the game beyond Rovers including a penalty shout for a hand ball on the line after a goal mouth scramble.

Rovers started to play better after starting slow in the second half and started to create some good chances with some good individual runs but unfortunately the ball wouldn't stick or quite run onto Rovers players. The Rovers goal came 10 minutes from time. After another ball was crossed in and half cleared by Villa, Parry managed to reach the ball before his foot was caught by a Villa player. From the resulting free kick Knowles stepped up to curl round the wall and into the far bottom corner, a good free kick.

Rovers tried to get back into it but the same story for most of the game with balls not falling in the crucial areas.

Overall I'd say Rovers deserved a point but it wasn't to be.

Team Line up:

Urwin

Knowles O'Connor Edwards Wylie

Evans Vastic Parry Pivkovski

Hitchcock Osawe

Subs: Maclaren for Hitchcock, Hall for Pivkovski (both around the horu mark), Hands for Vastic (late on)

Urwin- Couldn't do much about the goals, kicking was good, caught lots of crosses and wasn't protected much by the ref.

Knowles- End of last season one of our best midfielders, so he starts this season at right back :wacko: Not comfortable there at all, going forward looks good but got caught countless times by admittedly a good left winger but was beaten to easily.

Wylie- Again out of position, right footer at left back, he started off well to be fair but in the second half you could tell he was getting tired as throw ins weren't going to far.

Edwards- Messed up for the 1st goal and it may have even deflected off him for the 2nd though nothing he could do for it, for a big defender not as comfortable in the area as you'd hope.

O'Connor- Reads the game well and has to with inexperienced defenders around him. Captain today.

Evans- Played well throughout, unafraid to run at players, played left and right wing today (at different times) can see him playing for reserves this year from the bench.

Pivkovski- Started left wing and was anonymous, moved to the right and got more involved and looked good. Played a bit better in the 2nd half on the left but was subbed for Hall. Looks to disinterested without the ball at times.

Parry- Big physical presence in midfield and uses it quite well, won the free kick, protects the back 4 well.

Vastic- Can't really remember him doing much today, that's not saying he played bad just did nothing outstanding or awful. Played in CM which is again a new position for him having seen him play on the wings and up top.

Osawe- Had some great runs but would then deliver awful final balls. Happened to many times with him today.

Hitchcock- Can still see him making it despite what others say. Has the passion for the game, gives his all and links up play between midfield and up front. Can only presume he is down to play for reserves on Monday and that was why he was brought off as he was streets ahead of Osawe today.

Subs

Maclaren- Looked threatening as ever, hangs on the shoulders of defenders and hard to pick up.

Hall- Good runner with the ball, needs a bit of guidance but looks very exciting.

Hands- Wasn't on for long but wasted last chance of game with an overhead kick that was closer to the corner flag.

Rovers 1 Villa 2

Good as always to see players not involved down there watching; Hanley, Lowe, Billington and Lindsay although think the final 3 may have been doing some fitness work before hand.

Referee was erratic as always, nice to see some things don't change. Favourite comment was to Andy Parry "Yes I know you won the ball with the foot but then you're other one came through him" :blink: He also told one of the Villa players he was going to fall out with him as the Villa player was 'pissing him off'.

Some good play and on another day would have got something, Villa will generally be one of the stronger teams so not a bad result as such.

Villa had a right gobby number 8 who I'm not sure how he wasn't booked!

Archived