BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BBC Radio Lancashire

M2XLY

Hi, dont know if this has been mentioned before but I sent an e-mail to Radio Lancashire (the one that originated in Blackburn) asking why they arent broadcasting any matches, their reply was:

Many thanks for your mail.

I'm afraid that you won't be able to find commentary on any Blackburn Rovers games on BBC Radio Lancashire this season as we no longer have the rights for that service. After many years of providing commentary on Rovers games, I can only say that we were all extremely disappointed that we were not able to secure a deal with the club when we looked to renew our arrangement in the close season.

I'm not sure if you are aware that money was involved here but, as with TV rights, football clubs look to sell the rights for radio commentary on their games, and although we did try to come to an agreement, we were not able to secure a deal. Like everyone else these days, we are operating on reduced budgets and we were simply not in a position to come up with a figure to match the club’s expectations.

I must stress that relations between the club and the radio station are perfectly amicable, but after providing full commentary on every away game…and some home fixtures too…for many years, our coverage of Rovers games this season will be limited to short reports and score flashes alongside our usual pre- and post-match reports and interviews. Because we were able to secure deals with the other Lancashire clubs you will hear commentary on games involving Blackpool, Burnley and Preston North End, focusing as always on the away fixtures. That's why we still maintain that we are "the home of live Lancashire football" as there is no other station offering that amount of commentary and live coverage.

Rest assured that this is not the outcome I would have hoped for but, despite our very best efforts to negotiate a deal, the club wasn’t prepared to accept our offer.

I hope this at least explains the situation.

Best wishes

John Clayton

Editor - BBC Radio Lancashire

PANTS !!!! :angry:

This has been raised before. We raised it as the last Fans Forum and were told that Radio Lancashire had offered considerably less than previous seasons and the club were not prepared to sell the rights that cheaply. Have a look at the minute on the club website for more.

After reading this, I, fully hope the BBC withdraw completely their budget to BBC radio Lancashire for next season. I wonder just how much BBC Manchester and Merseyside reduced their payments by to cover their prem teams for this coming season?

It did its level best to ignore us when they had the rights anyway.

All I ever heard (when I used to listen) was PNE and Dingle chat.

'No mark PNE player Joe Bloggs reckon a push up the Championship table is possible' *Cue 5 min ramble from said no mark*

Then a load of texts from Dingles addressed to 'Gaz' (presenter Gary Hickson) saying 'what a big club' they are.

Then we might get 20 seconds about our latest Premier League win or Cup Semi final.

Bugger 'em.

It did its level best to ignore us when they had the rights anyway.

All I ever heard (when I used to listen) was PNE and Dingle chat.

'No mark PNE player Joe Bloggs reckon a push up the Championship table is possible' *Cue 5 min ramble from said no mark*

Then a load of texts from Dingles addressed to 'Gaz' (presenter Gary Hickson) saying 'what a big club' they are.

Then we might get 20 seconds about our latest Premier League win or Cup Semi final.

Bugger 'em.

Rarely listen to any of their output despite being told by someone who worked for them that I was the perfect fit for their target audience over 50 female and lived in the area for a long time. However, as I pointed out, I don't sit around at home all day doing nothing and wouldn't even if i didn't work full time and I'd rather do most things other than listen to Radio Lancs.

Rarely listen to any of their output despite being told by someone who worked for them that I was the perfect fit for their target audience over 50 female and lived in the area for a long time. However, as I pointed out, I don't sit around at home all day doing nothing and wouldn't even if i didn't work full time and I'd rather do most things other than listen to Radio Lancs.

Radio Lancs was a very effective way of keeping right up to date on away matches for those of us who have stopped going to them.

Much better than this season when at times I have to listen to commentary on a match which doesn't interest me just to find out how the Rovers are getting on.

I find it very sad.

As i've said before Rovers should use this opportunity to expand Radio Rovers to cover the whole of Lancashire, look into getting over onto an FM frequency and cover away matches on the station rather than just online.

They can advertise and make a few quid at the same time!

Problem solved?

As i've said before Rovers should use this opportunity to expand Radio Rovers to cover the whole of Lancashire, look into getting over onto an FM frequency and cover away matches on the station rather than just online.

Problem solved?

Brilliant idea. You beat me to it.

I feel so sorry for my 86 year old father-in-law who lives by himself. He loves to watch cricket on BBC. This was denied him years ago by Sky.

He only watches channels 1,2,3,4,5 and Sky Sports News on freeview. SSN was taken from him a month or so ago.

He cannot understand why he hears nothing about his beloved team, Blackburn Rovers, on Radio Lancashire; a station he has regularly listened to over many years. The poor old boy has been shut out.

I gave up trying to listen to Radio Lancs many years ago. If Rovers were away chances are I'd be out and about in the car as one does on a Saturday. The car radio used to constantly re-tune to the strongest signal meaning commentary used to change from one game to another very few minutes. Daft and never managed to prevent it happening.

My problem with Radio Lancs was that they would put away games on some obscure frequency that I could not find. The only game I could get was Blackpool, and they weren't in the prem.So I guess I am not missing much.

Problem solved?

Not if you live in Cumbria, I am a Season Ticket holder & every home game is like an away game. :rover:

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived