BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Haye v Audrey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, not really. Prefer Boxers who stand toe to toe, not ones that run backwards around the ring, or lean backwards over the ropes just trying to tire the opponent.

Ali was a great showman and I agree he pulled off minor miracle against Foreman at the age of 32, but sorry, but if he's squared up to Foreman he would have got a good hiding.

Ali was a great showman and I agree he pulled off minor miracle against Foreman at the age of 32, but sorry, but if he's squared up to Foreman he would have got a good hiding.

So, in other words, he should have lost head-on instead of devising a way to beat his opponent? :wacko:

Standing up to Foreman's punches is like getting hit by a car. Ali was pissing blood for weeks after that fight.

That's WHY he's the greatest.

I was always a Jack Dempsey (the second one) kinda guy. Dude had hands the size of small babies.

Gene Tunney, Marciano, Joe Louis, Max Schmelling, Jack Johnson, Marvellous Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Robinson, Thomas Hearns, Tyson etc etc. The greats of boxing. There's not many around these days to live up to them, certainly no boxer around today in their prime, anyway.

(and he didn't dodge the draft) <_<

But he didn't dodge it though, did he (splitting hairs here, maybe)? He was a conscientious objector. "No Viet Cong ever called me nigger"

I was always a Jack Dempsey (the second one) kinda guy. Dude had hands the size of small babies.

Gene Tunney, Marciano, Joe Louis, Max Schmelling, Jack Johnson, Marvellous Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Robinson, Thomas Hearns, Tyson etc etc. The greats of boxing. There's not many around these days to live up to them, certainly no boxer around today in their prime, anyway.

To be fair you could add Calzaghe, Lennox Lewis, Manny Pacquiao & Mayweather as current/recent greats to that list

To be fair you could add Calzaghe, Lennox Lewis, Manny Pacquiao & Mayweather as current/recent greats to that list

Roy Jones Jnr, Barrera, De La Hoya, Chavez, Duran can all be added to the list of all time greats. We've witnessed some of the greatest fighters of all time in the last 10 years.

De La Hoya

I don't get the hype surrounding him.

He's lost a lot of fights for someone might be an all time great. I know virtually all the greats lost at some point, but most then went on to avenge that defeat in a future bout. De La Hoya hasn't done that to anyone who has beaten him. Shane Mosley has beaten him twice and no-one has him down as an all time great.

I don't think it's a coincidence he's become a top promoter, he's built an image for himself that outweighs his accomplishments.

He's lost a lot of fights for someone might be an all time great. I know virtually all the greats lost at some point, but most then went on to avenge that defeat in a future bout. De La Hoya hasn't done that to anyone who has beaten him. Shane Mosley has beaten him twice and no-one has him down as an all time great.

I don't think it's a coincidence he's become a top promoter, he's built an image for himself that outweighs his accomplishments.

I'm not sure I'd call losing six fights a lot. Anyway, putting aside his incredible amateur record and of course the '92 Olympic gold, he won 10 world titles across six divisions. He fought on for too long and tried to mix promotion work and boxing but when in his prime he was the best pound for pound fighter.

As for Shane Mosley, admitting to using steroids in preparation for the first De La Hoya will always leave a stain on his career, shame really.

I've always thought - fairly or unfairly - of De La Hoya as a bit of a Beckham figure. Clearly extremely good, but never the world's best, despite having the hype and media attention of someone of that stature. He achieved some incredible things but from a personal standpoint it's hard to call him an all-time great.

Pacquiao is likely taking on Shane Mosley next, in another terribly underwhelming fight.

Went to see the Williams - Martinez rematch last night at Boardwalk Hall and saw the knockout of the year from the fighter of the year, Sergio Martinez, who avenged his loss last year (in a fight he took on 3 weeks notice and almost won) and who, at 35, is the #3 P4P in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0f05uCN07c&feature=player_embedded

Next week sees five(!) potentially great fights: Marquez - Katsidis, Berto - Hernandez, Caballero - Litzau, Froch - Abraham and Ward - Bika.

Archived