BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players who've 'Given it All' for Rovers

Yes, I'd agree with all of those except Mr Shearer, who was always on a trajectory way above little old Rovers.

Don't think that's fair. You said yourself it was all about those who gave it all for Rovers. He did that, and some, in his four years with us. No proper Rovers could ever suggest otherwise for those years he was with us. Why would the rest of his career affect that?

Or is just about players whose glory days were with us?

Anyway...Chris Price, Scott Sellars, Jason Wilcox (yes, eff off your booers), Super Stuart Ripley, Super (they nicked Stu's song) Keith Gillespie (yes, eff off your booers), Simon Garner, Ian Windy Miller (yes, eff off your booers), Ryan Nelsen, Craig Short, Mike Newell, Robbie Savage, Andy Todd.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is only ONE Colin Hendry. In both his spells he brought us sheer happiness.

History and the memories of the BRFCS members are not measuring his all-out commitment.

I certainly agree with that; but I am sure he has already been mentioned by someone.

If we are counting commitment (as opposed to O/S achievement) then I don't think anyone has mentioned Ken Beamish so far. So OK then.................him! He never stopped trying and in spite of his "gift" for missing sitters he did score a fair few as well. But his real achievement is his undying fane on every football ground in Britain where whenever any player misses a sitter the crowd all chant "Beamo, Beamo" and they have no idea where or how this chant originated. But We do don't we!! :xmas:

He was never a combative player, but I always thought Howard Gayle gave his all in a Rovers shirt.

A few of us had a horrendous journey to Home Park Plymouth back in the mid 80's, on arrival on the terraces Howard nipped over for a chat with us:

"Alright lads, how long did it take you lot to get down here"?

"About 6hrs Howard"

"You must be ******* mad"

and off he went!

Still, a good servant and even if he did have a cr@p game, he always clapped all sides of the ground to show the fans his appreciation, priceless!

gayle ,garns and big col.

Here's Howie in a silly hat

For me, as a younger fan

Jansen - chased down everything and worked tirelessly for the cause.

Mokoena - rarely complained, and always put a shift in with his kind of limited opportunities (and limited ability)

Warnock - in the main, he worked his balls off and put in some incredible challenges

Could say Friedel, he has always been a total professional

Savage - always has given his all, no matter what team

Nelsen - Been a tremendous professional for Rovers, and seems genuinely proud of us

I was introduced to 'Iron Man' Kelly in a pub (The Alexandra) in Darwen many years ago. He was an old man then, but a couple of hours in his company made me feel very humble indeed. By all accounts he was a gladiator!!

If you are ever in the company of Bryan Douglas, ask him to tell you a story about Willie Kelly. Bryan can tell us a lot about incidents with past players.

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived