BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players who've 'Given it All' for Rovers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I've just been checking Blackburn Rovers FC players on Wikipedia.

I noticed Alex (Sandy) Bell 1913; Bobby Bell (bought and sold by Ken Furphy within a matter of days making an excellent profit for Rovers); Norman Bell (1981-84); Andy Bell (youth player 2001--released) but no listing of ERIC BELL.

What a rubbish site that is!

Bobby Bell was inj exchange for Alan Hunter who was sold to Ipswich, Furphy sold him for a Huge profit to Crystal Palace and Bell played fewer than 20 games in the rest of his career as a pro!!!

The best piece of business ever at Rovers.

I think Derek Faz deserves a mention here, a real stalwart at Rovers and a one club man, Stuart Metcalfe from that period was also a real comitted Rovers man but for me taking all into consideration, Clayton and Douglas stand head and shoulders above the rest, established Internationals and one club men.

Willy Kelly, Bill Eckersley, Eddie Quigley, Tommy Briggs, Eddie Crossan, Eric Bell, Bobby Langton........and so on ad infinitum. Eddie Quigley never stopped talking about Rovers and caring for the club until his dying day.

I was introduced to 'Iron Man' Kelly in a pub (The Alexandra) in Darwen many years ago. He was an old man then, but a couple of hours in his company made me feel very humble indeed. By all accounts he was a gladiator!!

Barry Ferguson and Kevin Davis would be difficult to beat in the 'shirkers list.

One who realised that the standard of football meant he wasn't the best player so gave up and went home and the other who has admitted he didn't do everything he could to get fit despite the money spent on him.

Good call, especially Davis he was a disgrace to the shirt.

I’m going to be slightly controversial here, but I still maintain that Ashley Ward gave 110% every time he pulled on the shirt, but the simple facts of the matter are, he wasn’t good enough.

He would run and run for you all day, maybe in the wrong direction :lol: ......, but he gave his all.

Good call, especially Davis he was a disgrace to the shirt.

I’m going to be slightly controversial here, but I still maintain that Ashley Ward gave 110% every time he pulled on the shirt, but the simple facts of the matter are, he wasn’t good enough.

He would run and run for you all day, maybe in the wrong direction :lol: ......, but he gave his all.

He's reaping the rewards now with that property portfolio of his!

He was never a combative player, but I always thought Howard Gayle gave his all in a Rovers shirt.

A few of us had a horrendous journey to Home Park Plymouth back in the mid 80's, on arrival on the terraces Howard nipped over for a chat with us:

"Alright lads, how long did it take you lot to get down here"?

"About 6hrs Howard"

"You must be ******* mad"

and off he went!

Still, a good servant and even if he did have a cr@p game, he always clapped all sides of the ground to show the fans his appreciation, priceless!

John Stead, if that lad did'nt give his all in the first season I dont know who did.

Correct, and he didn't celebrate his goal for SundyLand did he, class act, NEVER stopped trying

Mine would be Shearer (Alan that is), Gary Flipflop, Gallagher (Both of them), Big Col, Matt Jansen, Flowers, Friedel, Speedie, Savage, Samba, Dickov, Tony Parkes, Kuqi?,The Stig?, Moran, Newell,Bellamy, Duff, Davey Thompson?

I was introduced to 'Iron Man' Kelly in a pub (The Alexandra) in Darwen many years ago. He was an old man then, but a couple of hours in his company made me feel very humble indeed. By all accounts he was a gladiator!!

You are right about the "Iron Man" bit. He was also in his later years a member of my club (Hollins Grove) and we had quite a few good chin wags then (mid 70's). Willie was an ex-miner from Hill O' Beath in Fife.....just about 4 miles from where I live now. Also from the same place in Fife was Willie Cunningham another ex-miner who spent his playing career with PNE and also captained Scotland for years.

You are right about the "Iron Man" bit. He was also in his later years a member of my club (Hollins Grove) and we had quite a few good chin wags then (mid 70's). Willie was an ex-miner from Hill O' Beath in Fife.....just about 4 miles from where I live now. Also from the same place in Fife was Willie Cunningham another ex-miner who spent his playing career with PNE and also captained Scotland for years.

And they aren't the only two Willies that came down to Lancashire from Scotland heh heh.

Another Scottish lad who I thought always put in 100% for Rovers was John Millar, who went on to have a decent career in Scotland with, among others, Hearts. Full back-come midfield player.

Nicky Reid, another trier, from the same era.

Still, a good servant and even if he did have a cr@p game, he always clapped all sides of the ground to show the fans his appreciation, priceless!

His tendency to climb on the perimeter railings, wave his fists and scream wildly after scoring endeared him to many also.

He was never a combative player, but I always thought Howard Gayle gave his all in a Rovers shirt.

Howard Gayle was and still is my most favourite Rovers player. Always gave his all and always got the crowd singing. A true cult hero.

Archived