BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players who've 'Given it All' for Rovers

I was looking at some video of Rover' Premiership winning side the other day and got to thinking about how few players I can honestly say have given 100% to the Rovers cause over the years I've been a fan (30+)..

I know some players bond more with the crowd and some have more personality, but I wondered if my perceptions were similar to anyone else's, hence this thread.

From my perspective the following players were 'Giants in Blue and White':

• Tugay - always gave 100% (even when he wasn't giving 100%)
  • Simon Garner - Legend
  • Terry Gennoe - super safe hands

You see - a short list... perhaps I'm jaded and disaffected by our current crop of journeyman in it for the money overpaid overblown 'stars'.. ??

What do YOU think? Eh? I'm sure there are loads more ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faz, Keeley, Rathbone, Branagan, Nicky Reid, Flitty, Hendry, Berg, Flowers, Shearer...

Yes, I'd agree with all of those except Mr Shearer, who was always on a trajectory way above little old Rovers. Can't believe I blanked Mr Rovers (Big Col).. Doh!

Anyway, what was it about these players that stood them apart from all the others? What might they teach our current players?

Yes, I'd agree with all of those except Mr Shearer, who was always on a trajectory way above little old Rovers. Can't believe I blanked Mr Rovers (Big Col).. Doh!

Anyway, what was it about these players that stood them apart from all the others? What might they teach our current players?

Shearer gave his all whilst he was here imo. His unbelievable scoring ratio of 112 goals in 138 league games proves that.

Pretty much agree with all those that have been mentioned already. I'd probably add Emerton to the list, Steven Reid also gave 100% on the pitch when he wasn't injured. I was a big fan of David Thompson, thought he was bit of an unsung hero and it was a great shame injury ended his career early. I'd probably add Warnock as well.

Craig Short & Lorenzo Amoruso. Two no-nonsense centre-backs who wore their hearts on their sleeves for Rovers.

Away you go.

Chimbonda - Far too casual, cowers away from crosses.

Andy Cole - Great player but would spend most of his time huffing and puffing instead of tracking back.

Dwight Yorke - Partner in crime.

• Backroom

I wouldn't say Pedersen has ever been a shirker in fact the opposite. He puts his all in he's just a bit soft at times.

As legendary as Tugay was I'm not sure he always put his all in. His display against Boro when he got himself sent off was a disgrace.

There's been many games where MGP has been a passenger, and basically just drifted about over the last 3 seasons - he's deffo been a shirker on several occasions IMO.

However this season he's improved, and most importantly started to score again. Let's hope the improvement curve is an upward one and this isn't just another flash in the pan!

Kevin Moran - now there's a player who gave absolutely everything. Seemed to come off every game with something bandaged or taped up. Legend.

What about Ken Beamish and Tony Parkes? In fact they played for us a long time ago and are still with us.

'Course that brings us Ronnie (RIP) and Duggie who have given their all, as did Matt Woods, Mick McGrath and Ally McLeod

More up-to-date.......Matt Jansen

What about Ken Beamish and Tony Parkes? In fact they played for us a long time ago and are still with us.

'Course that brings us Ronnie (RIP) and Duggie who have given their all, as did Matt Woods, Mick McGrath and Ally McLeod

More up-to-date.......Matt Jansen

Willy Kelly, Bill Eckersley, Eddie Quigley, Tommy Briggs, Eddie Crossan, Eric Bell, Bobby Langton........and so on ad infinitum. Eddie Quigley never stopped talking about Rovers and caring for the club until his dying day.

Willy Kelly, Bill Eckersley, Eddie Quigley, Tommy Briggs, Eddie Crossan, eric Bell, Bobby Langton........and so on ad infinitum. Eddie Quigley never stopped talking about Rovers and caring for the club until his dying day.

I wasn't going to go that far back. Sooooooo..............Bob Pride, Bob Crompton, Jack Weddle, Harry Healless. In fact most of the regular players of those decades must have been Rovers through and through.

I wasn't going to go that far back. Sooooooo..............Bob Pride, Bob Crompton, Jack Weddle, Harry Healless. In fact most of the regular players of those decades must have been Rovers through and through.

Absolutely right Bazza. Most of the ones we have listed between us were one club men and spent either all or the vast majority of their playiing days at Rovers. The one's I listed are the ones I knew and can vouch for their dedication to the club.

Oh and before someone jumps on me for listing Briggs who only played for us for us for six seasons...that was because he was coming to the end of his goal scoring powers and was sent back to Grimsby for his swan song.

Barry Ferguson and Kevin Davis would be difficult to beat in the 'shirkers list.

One who realised that the standard of football meant he wasn't the best player so gave up and went home and the other who has admitted he didn't do everything he could to get fit despite the money spent on him.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I've just been checking Blackburn Rovers FC players on Wikipedia.

I noticed Alex (Sandy) Bell 1913; Bobby Bell (bought and sold by Ken Furphy within a matter of days making an excellent profit for Rovers); Norman Bell (1981-84); Andy Bell (youth player 2001--released) but no listing of ERIC BELL.

What a rubbish site that is!

Archived