BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Twitter

I have, for sometime, been trying to understand Twitter. I realise it's a bit like a mini message board and I've been following Paul Plunkett. TBH none of it seems to make much sense, and much of it seems to be nonsense. That's how it appears to me but I think it's because I don't understand how it works.

Would someone like to post an idiot's guide? Bear in mind I struggle with getting Facebook right in that it (Facebook) doesn't always do what I had expected!!

I do have a Twitter account. Plus I'm more than capable of using a computer!! My main use of Twitter would be via iPhone.

Ah so my first impression is closer to the truth than I thought! I imagined it was just me being stupid.

My cycle club uses Twitter to update us all on what's happening at the weekend with rides and various other things. I'd rather hoped I'd get some form of alert to let me know there's a a new tweet but that doesn't seem to happen, though when i go and look there will be new items added.

Ah so my first impression is closer to the truth than I thought! I imagined it was just me being stupid.

My cycle club uses Twitter to update us all on what's happening at the weekend with rides and various other things. I'd rather hoped I'd get some form of alert to let me know there's a a new tweet but that doesn't seem to happen, though when i go and look there will be new items added.

Would be usefull if you got a message alert when someone you subscribed too updated their account, not sure if thats possible but it would at least make a bit more sense.

• Backroom

I think it's great personally, I follow a few guys from here as well.

Admittedly there isn't much practical use to what I use it for but it's fun to see other people's opinions on issues.

Ok, quick beginners guide. Firstly, it's not for everyone and has much more of a niche appeal that something like facebook, but it can be both entertaining and exceptionally useful, but don't feel left out if it's "not for you". It's not going to replace facebook, forums, text messages, emails, blogs or anything like that, it is it's own thing, it does what it does. It was original promoted as a micro-blogging service, you chance to share whatever is on your mind in tiny bites size chunks. Now this artificial limitation is one of the things that makes it so good. People have to be succinct and get to the point, no more having to read 6 paragraphs to hyperbole to see somebodies point.

Twitter is all about engagement, you can just sit and read, but it's most interesting, valuable and fun when you join in (a bit like a party or a networking event). But when you start out, you'll probably only be comfortable reading, so lets start with that. Unlike an email or text (which are one to one), twitter is more like a forum where everything (except DMs, more on those later) is shouted out publicly so anyone can read it. Unlike a forum though you normally don't select what to read by it's topic, but by who is saying it.

Who is saying stuff normally breaks down into 3 groups. Celebs, Friends and Info source. Now I use all three of those terms very very loosely. Think as celebs are people who you like to listen to talk (probably on subjects that interest you) but you don't actually know, friends are people you want to listen to because you know them (however loosely and tangentially as you are comfortable with) and info sources are please that tweet out messages you want to be made aware of. To use Paul's example, Plunkett would fit in the celeb category, the local bike club in info section (as would @brfcsdotcom) and hopefully I'd fit in the friends category. Twitter doesn't differentiate (or even recognise) these groups, but as a user, you see the TYPE of things they tweet to be very different, you'd never expect @brfcsdotcom to tweet it's impression of the meal it had just had, or it's opinion on that night's TV but it will give you updates on Rovers news, you wouldn't expect @stephenfry to be a great source of current events in Blackburn but his outlook on life and tech is fun to read and if you follow me (@GlennPegden) you'll get a messy mix of tech, football, whatever fills my evenings, real ale and general nattering. Once you have a suitable list of people to "follow" set up, anything they say on twitter that isn't directed at an individual is visible in your twitter "timeline", so you can sit back and absorb info and chatter.

... but as I said, the real fun of twitter is when you join in, everything on twitter is public (except DMs) so every tweet sent out is an invitation to respond and people will respond, even the famous ones. I've debated technology with Graham Linerham (writer of Father Ted), politics with Tim Lovejoy (surprisingly open and honest about not knowing stuff), football with Jason Manford (after city away last season) and Helen Chamberlin helped me track down Simon Garner. It's saved me a fortune on text messages, because most of my inconsequential "are you going to Rovers tomorrow" type message are now tweets, got into regular conversations with cool people around the world, got a job that ultimately led to be becoming a director of a tech startup, picked up loads of new customers, introduced many mutual friends with similar interests to each other, predicated traffic spikes for an internet site and got dozens of leads on Rovers stories.

Ok, that's enough for now. I'll cover replies, DMs, hashtags and what twitter.com is a dreadful way to use twitter another time (if people are still interested).

(oh and to answer a previous poster, I'm confident you can get twitter to alert you to new mention, followers, etc).

Hi Paul. It depends how you use it. Being a huge F1 fan I follow 40 personnel from the pit and paddock and get fantastic updates live from the pit wall during the races direct from team managers etc. Mike Gascoigne at Lotus is particulary good. I also get links to interviews and pictures I just would not find elsewhere. Jake Humphrey and Martin Brundle from the BBC give a fascinating insight and there are always good snippets from the drivers. Latest ticket news for all events from Silverstone and factory tours from teams.

Its like my own personnal news feed tailored to my own interests.

If you follow celebs like a lot of people then expect to get crap all day long.

• 3 months later...

I could do with some help.

If I want to tweet somebody I press the @ button to start the tweet then a list appears with whom I'm following.the problem I have though is only a few names appear, can I only tweet those people or can I tweet every person I follow?

Archived