BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Future fan base

Its definitely swinging towards football for Asians now though, the challenge is getting them to come to Rovers instead of gloryhunting Man Utd. The racist undertones still present in some sections of our fans certainly don't help but there has been a slow increase of the number of asians coming to games in recent times. Rovers should be doing everything they can to promote this now we have Indian owners, our average attendances could rise by 5,000 if a decent percentage of the asian community started coming to games. The current prices are certainly encouraging to people who may not view football as their number 1 sport.

Thats an interesting stat.....

Id re-phrase that Matty to '90% say they support United'.

Venkys need to tap into this market and work out how we get them to buy a ticket....lots of Asians like football, very few attend....why?

Thats an interesting stat.....

Id re-phrase that Matty to '90% say they support United'.

Venkys need to tap into this market and work out how we get them to buy a ticket....lots of Asians like football, very few attend....why?

Because their dads/grandads/family friends/older brothers and cousins don't take them and they won't go on their own. Was talking to some staff at schol the other day about all the places they haven't been to in Blackburn itself. They said "It's not in our culture to do that (take kids for picnics or for walks at weekends/encourage kids to go places on their own and become independent)" the culture is basically to stay within your own community and do things together there, so it is very hard to get them to matches. the tide is turning and more of our Asian heritage kids are beginning to support Rovers and attend matches, but it will be another generation at least before we see any significant increase in the number of Asain heritage families attending Ewood.

Because their dads/grandads/family friends/older brothers and cousins don't take them and they won't go on their own. Was talking to some staff at schol the other day about all the places they haven't been to in Blackburn itself. They said "It's not in our culture to do that (take kids for picnics or for walks at weekends/encourage kids to go places on their own and become independent)"

Then we need to send the buses in and go and get them all out!! lol

Iv got many friends who 'say' they support Rovers, but as soon as we get a bad result they aint too keen for that week....we need to get them hooked in!

Because their dads/grandads/family friends/older brothers and cousins don't take them and they won't go on their own. Was talking to some staff at schol the other day about all the places they haven't been to in Blackburn itself. They said "It's not in our culture to do that (take kids for picnics or for walks at weekends/encourage kids to go places on their own and become independent)" the culture is basically to stay within your own community and do things together there, so it is very hard to get them to matches. the tide is turning and more of our Asian heritage kids are beginning to support Rovers and attend matches, but it will be another generation at least before we see any significant increase in the number of Asain heritage families attending Ewood.

Doesn't necessarily have to be the case, I know asian lads who go away games and are passionate as hell. As with us, all it takes is to get the addiction and you won't give it up. To me they just need to be persuaded that this is their town too and **** Manchester, lets support where we're from.

yeah my kids are limited to the amount of drugs and alcohol that they can consume. on saturdays i let them have none. but on weekdays i also let them have none. bloody football. its nots god's stuff init? don't think my ###### of a dad ever took me to ewood(?) didn't put me off the blues though - still rem being awestruck in the changing rooms on a tour with gordon lee (must be an old mutha!). Anyway good luck gummy. Unfortunately, my lad aint much interested after 10years having st (he's 14 now). can't really blame him, no excitement being sat between middleaged bald headed miserable sods! never mind maybe things will pickup when the franchise idea works out?

We are classing "Asians" as one here, which is wrong!

The MAJORITY of Pakistani boys/girls support Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. They have no affection to Blackburn Rovers at all - after the United game they called us "scummy Blackburn Rovers"

However, the Indian boys/girls DO support Blackburn and go on the odd occasion, i actually know of some season ticket holders.

I have worked in two Schools with an asian population of 90% in both. I always chat to them about why they don't support Blackburn and the usual answer is that they are "rubbish"

I don't think the club will ever make a significant impact with our Asian community.

We are classing "Asians" as one here, which is wrong!

The MAJORITY of Pakistani boys/girls support Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. They have no affection to Blackburn Rovers at all - after the United game they called us "scummy Blackburn Rovers"

However, the Indian boys/girls DO support Blackburn and go on the odd occasion, i actually know of some season ticket holders.

I have worked in two Schools with an asian population of 90% in both. I always chat to them about why they don't support Blackburn and the usual answer is that they are "rubbish"

I don't think the club will ever make a significant impact with our Asian community.

As i said - it is changing. The same person who said it isn't in their culture to do certain things like encourage your kids to be more independent also said she's working hard to be more outward looking with her own kids because she doesn't want them disadvantaged compared to other kids their age. In our school it's not generally a split between Indian and Pakistani heritage kids. I know some from both backgrounds who are season ticket holders, some who go to games because of schools initiatives run by Rovers with cheap tickets for school parties and have carried on coming. I also know plenty who say "they're rubbish" but who have a certain grudging respect for us nevertheless. The problem is, i don't see what the club can do more to get people to Ewood - they've given away plenty of free tickets to youth organisations and community groups in the area already. They just have to keep doing what they are already doing. Change to a whole way of thought, attitude and tradition takes a long time to work its way through. And no, not all of us get into football through parents, but I bet the majority here would not have gone to a match without someone to go with, friend, family or friend of family.

I think the figures provide a very positive platform for the future of the town. Let's face it, more people should eventually lead to City status which has many benefits, including bringing in more jobs, better paid jobs and more social activities being available.

On the back of that, that strengthens the towns university bid, providing it's own degrees which attracts people from all over the world and will lead to a growing town centre including a better night life and better shops and services.

And on top of that, the football club could potentially, over the next twenty years, attract 10'000 more fans to each game providing the Venkys make a success of their ownership, taking the population figures from the article in mind.

I would also suggest that although many young lads from Muslim, Hindu and Sikh backgrounds do seem to support the bigger teams, I have seen many more people from those backgrounds at Rovers games over the past few years including a large group of lads who had travelled down to the West Ham game. Those fans who still support the so called bigger teams, are gradually turning to Blackburn.

The future is bright for Blackburn Rovers providing the club is run well over the next decade or so.

The fact of the matter is the Asians don't have a connection with rovers, this ia not about a prayer room or halal food.. My view is the club needs to work on selling the benefits of a rounded charachter that is open and has diverse experiences (not just having Asian friends) to the parents... Alot of Asian parents are frightened their kids may lose their Asian / Muslim identity.. The concept that they can retain their asian / muslim identity but also be an integral part of society needs to be sold to them and there are cultural / religious arguments that back up this point..

Many Asian ppl really struggle when they first come into contact with White ppl, they either try too hard to impress or completely isolate themselves as they feel more comfortable with 'their own' simply down to a lack of exposure from an earlier age..

The world is bigger than audley / whalley range and parents need to understand that if they really want their kids to progress (academically and character wise) then they need to proactively work on their charachter and rovers is an ideal way of doing that..

They could target the mosques, produce a halal menu, sell out of season shirts cheap to their locally based football teams....or emply mr suffi ;)

Well if he rang my house to ask me why i wasn't there, I'd certainly get myself sorted!

but I bet the majority here would not have gone to a match without someone to go with, friend, family or friend of family.

True - I started after attending 1 game with school, from that point on my grandad started to take me....and that was it - hooked!

True - I started after attending 1 game with school, from that point on my grandad started to take me....and that was it - hooked!

Was a school trip for me too - Newcastle v Celtic in a friendly at St James park. The boys football team were going and some of us girls tagged along. When we got back my friend said that her brother went to watch the Boro and there was no reason we couldn't go too. she'd find out what we needed to know about buses from where we lived, what time we needed to leave etc, and that was it. spent the next 5 years watching boro play at Ayresome. When I left the area i also left football to some extent as I was moving around quite a bit but when we settled here and my husband started taking the kids to rovers i gradually got into it more and found myself becoming a fan. Still look for the Boro results but keeping in touch with a team when you don't live in the area was hard back in the 70s and i've lived away from Teesside far longer than I lived there.

Matt Smith was on the One Show, BBC, last night talking about Rovers (sorry if been mentioned).He said he was more nervous about us staying up than his BAFTA nomination. He punched the air several times!

I know of several children at my daughters school who have started to follow Rovers because The Doctor is a fan! Fickle, yes - but small acorns etc...

Maybe Rovers could make more publicity about this? while he stays in this high profile role?

Clip is still on BBC iPlayer.

lots of Asians like football, very few attend....why?

I no longer live in the area but on each and every visit home I encounter widespread casual racism (at best). My girlfriend couldn't get over the extent of it. Whether we accept it or not there is a lot of anti-Asian sentiment and chatter in East Lancs. If advance of any objections, anyone that denies this is either deluded or deaf.

I'd suggest that is why many Asians stay away.

I'm hopeful that the youth are a more tolerant bunch.

It is mainly because the Asians of Blackburn largely support the glory clubs.

I have asked many Asian lads about it, the repsonse I have always got is

'I support United'

or

'Rovers are s***'.

Ive got that response from many whites in Blackburn and in the Ribble Valley, That said I did see a decent amount of "asians" going to the Brum match when I was there.

Ive got that response from many whites in Blackburn and in the Ribble Valley, That said I did see a decent amount of "asians" going to the Brum match when I was there.

You're not wrong, glory shirts are everywhere, regardless of ethnic background. Pathetic, but there you go.

However, the percentage of football fans that 'support' Man Yoo etc in the Blackburn area is much higher in Asian communities.

I no longer live in the area but on each and every visit home I encounter widespread casual racism (at best). My girlfriend couldn't get over the extent of it. Whether we accept it or not there is a lot of anti-Asian sentiment and chatter in East Lancs. If advance of any objections, anyone that denies this is either deluded or deaf.

I'd suggest that is why many Asians stay away.

I'm hopeful that the youth are a more tolerant bunch.

aye there's no racists in the Asian population is there? Its a two way thing. This has been discussed on here before..the first 50 times was ok....

Archived