BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

(DM) Axel Witsel

mark1875

The Daily Mirror is today reporting that Witsel will sign for Benfica for a fee of £7 million. The Rovers were only prepared to bid £4 million which was clearly insufficient. Looks like it's time to draw up another list of targets in a lower price band.

Absolutely rediculous that we didn't go up to £7 million for Witsel, or Piatti for that matter. Both would have been amazing.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Daily Mirror is today reporting that Witsel will sign for Benfica for a fee of £7 million. The Rovers were only prepared to bid £4 million which was clearly insufficient. Looks like it's time to draw up another list of targets in a lower price band.

I'm baffled...

Surely Kentaro would have given some guidance on the asking price?

Knowing this then the Roas/Rovers will be knowledgable bidders

So is this the Rao's bargaining strategy - to go in well under the asking price and then see how negotiable the other party are?

As far as I can tell Witsel hasn't been sold to anybody yet - negotiations are still open - we took one track in the bidding process and somebody else has obviously/possibly gone in with another approach - in the long run which is most effective for the club? Just pay what ever price is requested or try & haggle?

May be the Rao approach is typical of their culture? Does this make it wrong?

I also think there may be some mischief making in the way all this is being reported

"somebody' at the Mirror seems to be quite happy that we may miss out here

Possibly the same 'somebody' who has described the Roas as 'eccentric' for putting a price tag of 12 Mill on Kalinic - in one breath we're accused of selling for nothing (P.Jones) and not even attempting to hold on to out young prospects (S.Nzonzi) - but then we get slated for effectively putting a clear 'F**K off' sign on Kalinic?

Aren't we effectively just doing the same with Kalinic as Schalke have just done to us with J Jones? But we're labelled eccentric...

seems there is a bitter little scotsman out there and were now seeing his true colours

We can't sign J Jones at 10M, we can't sign Witsel because he's 7M yet a replacement for Jones is absolutely vital as everyone agrees.

So who's any good who doesn't cost much?

Whoever said we'd end up with Roque/Woodgate/ Hargreaves could be bang on the money! No medical staff either!

According to newspaper O JOGO, Standard Liége want more money for Witsel so a deal has not been reached yet.

It will take probably around €10 million and it's possible the deal will include a percentage of a future transfer and/or some kind of performance bonus.

I'd make this guy our top priority. He comes highly rated and would be an effective replacement for JJ, whilst still only 22 years old. He could easily double in value if he made it here.

I still have hope we will get him, I wouldn't believe every story that Alan Nixon writes for the mirror. Only the other day he wrote Kalinic off loaded for 4 million then two days later publishes Kalinic not allowed to move for anything under 12 million. The reliable sources say we are still trying to get a deal. Yes their is other competition trying to sign the lad but were still in the race.

According to newspaper O JOGO, Standard Liége want more money for Witsel so a deal has not been reached yet.

It will take probably around €10 million and it's possible the deal will include a percentage of a future transfer and/or some kind of performance bonus.

I want the lad, but I'm always very wary of allowing percentages of future transfers. Especially when you're throwing so much money at the initial transfer.

• 1 month later...

Archived